Old 8th February 2008, 05:17 AM
Nomadic

Default Prostitutes in Kathmandu

The Swedish national radio is usually quite serious and accurate in its
reporting. Today however they have been going on in the news about how
sex tourists lately have been flocking to Nepal partly because there is a lot
of prostitution going on in Kathmandu. They say there are more than a
hundred such bars in Kathmandu.

I have never seen anything such, and had hoped I never would.

What is your experience in this sad matter?
Old 8th February 2008, 08:27 AM
annoying

Default Re: Prostitutes in Kathmandu

On my last visit, walking around Thamel at night on my own and I had a tout approach me; "hashish? girls?" I just shook my head and kept walking
Old 8th February 2008, 01:42 PM
Loves Nepal

Erggh, it obviously goes on, but hopefully not to that degree, that would be very sad.
Old 8th February 2008, 02:14 PM
Likes crisps

On a few occasions when I have gone for night out in less touristy places in Kathmandu - away from Thamel and the like, with Nepali friends later at night - it has been obvious that things were going on. Once we went to a dancing bar which was very tame by western standards. The girls dancing were showing no bare flesh and were covered from neck to ankle and dancing in a bollywood, non-provocative fashion but it wasn't traditional Nepali dancing. It was full up with fat, loaded Nepali business men and you could sense what the place was a front for. I didn't like the place at all but it left me with the sense that there was plenty of that stuff going on amongst a certain ilk of seedy Kathmandu-ites.
Old 8th February 2008, 04:47 PM

It is a problem. I am planning on raising money for http://www.himalayan-foundation.org/...ject/education instead of the usual fund raiser I do at the end of the year. I was talking to a rep of the foundation and its a big problem. I also asked about Nepal and She said it is a growing indusrty.

Look under Rural education health services trust on my link.

RR
Old 8th February 2008, 09:25 PM

Unhappy Re: Prostitutes in Kathmandu

To all nepal lovers,

I can see that prostitution is happening in thamel area too ..I have tried walking into a massage parlour to look for decent massage ..So I saw a group of girls sitting in the parlour waiting for their clients ..From my point of view, I dun think that they are professionally trained and their dressing is not too right ....I came out of the place without a massage but later spoke to some nepalese guys, they told me that sometimes they are being offered 'extra' services ....And to make matters worst, there are many chinese in thamel area as well ..These chinese are mainly businessmen (not from the big cities) with chinese girls behaving too 'intimately' in the public places ...

Let's hope our beloved place will not be so badly polluted ...
Old 9th February 2008, 03:59 PM
Knowledgable Trekker

Send a message via MSN to 7days Send a message via Skype™ to 7days

Apologies for not replying to posts for a long time.Regards to all admin esp. Yakshaver.

I am a local resident of thamel and as mentioned prostitution here in kathmandu , mainly in thamel and at the bus stations have flourished.The dance bars.massage parlours and guest house and etc all have their own contacts.They hire call girls for such activity and i have also seen that they drug girls so that them become an addict and make them work extra hours.

It is an easy method of earning money.Also the positive side is that 100 and more people have got employment opportunity from this business.

The local authorities know crystal clear about this issue but they are just concerned to earn more commisions that they get from such places.

I hope we all will someday eradicate this kind of business for a better place to live.
Old 10th February 2008, 02:49 PM

There has always been prostitution in Nepal. Indeed, it has been common among women of certain castes. Mostly they have been catering to Indians and locals. Some Indians, especially truck drivers, have the attitudes of sex tourists. Not much of it that has been visible to foreigners. The only place where it has been really obvious, except possibly to blind people, has been Mugling.

In traditional codes westerners are pretty low. Official policy, if there was any, was to discourage contacts between foreign men and local women. Sex tourism was totally out of the question. All this may have changed with the collapse of traditional values.

Still I doubt that the nepalese goverment will ever tolerate sex tourism from the west, that Kathmandu will ever be filled with the kind of total losers that populate Pattaya and certain other spots in South East Asia.
Old 16th February 2008, 03:17 AM
senior yak psychologist

Interesting stuff. One conversation I had with a Thamel tout was quite funny, but you had to be there... I have reported it on this site in the past, so it may be boring...
The English language skills of the guy were not good, which lead to the funny part.
It went something like this, with the crescendo in the items offered, paralleled with a softening of the voice volume:

- Tiger Balm sir?
- No thank you.
- Khukuri knife sir?
- No thank you.
- Hash sir?
- No.
- Girls sir?
When it came to this, his pronunciation was sounding more like "calls sir?", so I said:
- Sorry?
- Calls sir?
- What?
- Calls sir?
- I don't understand...
- Calls, you know (he said making an annoyed lurid gesture meant for stupid people who don't get it) calls, calls....
As I got it I started laughing reasonably loudly, more at my own slow-wittedness than anything else. As he was trying to be discrete I guess, this made him unconfortable, so he laughed briefly just to humour me, then left in a hurry.

But this was the only incident of this kind. I agree with Per, KTM is a long way from becoming some sex travel destination, thankfully. Like and third world country, it is not imune to this, and I am sure there has been some proliferation of certaing types of bars. However it is not intrusive, like in Shanghai, for example. Not even in Thamel. That was the only time I got approached and it was about 7 years ago. Maybe they look at my white hair, and mistake me for some serious person. Fools!

Last edited by yakshaver; 16th February 2008 at 03:21 AM.
Old 17th February 2008, 12:34 AM
Nomadic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakshaver
I agree with Per, KTM is a long way from becoming some sex travel destination, thankfully.
Like any third world country, it is not immune to this, and I am sure there
has been some proliferation of certain types of bars.
I think it is very unfortunate when media blows occasional incidences up like
this. There is a real risk that it will become self fulfilling.

Johns will go there looking, someone will ask "Hey John, what are you
looking for?"