Trekinfo.com  

Go Back   Trekinfo.com > Trekking in Nepal > News & Views from Trekkers

Old 7th July 2008, 12:55 PM
EBC Dec08/Jan09

Default Shopping in Kathmandu

Hi all again,

Just wondering what experiences or insights you all might have about shopping for trek clothing in Kathmandu? My wife & I have been thinking that we will just load up with windstoppers & polar fleece etc... when we arrive before going on the Everest Base Camp trek. We are doing it in the heart of winter (Dec 08 - Jan 09).
I guess my real concern is the sizes of clothes available. I'm a pretty big guy: 6'2" & around 100kg so will need XL-XXL sizes.

I know that some of the quality isn't fantastic on the cheaper items/fakes, but would they be adequate for a 2 week trek? Not too concerned if thats all the use I get out of them if I can stock up cheaply. These sorts of items are very expensive here in Australia. I will be bringing along from home Merino Thermals as I've heard that its difficult to get them in Kathmandu?

Any thoughts on prices to expect in Kathmandu/Thamel for windstopper/Gore-tex jackets, pants etc...?

Thanks.
Old 7th July 2008, 06:46 PM
Trekker

Default Re: Shopping in Kathmandu

Check out Shona's in Kathmandu for good quality Trekking gear,I got a very good Down Jacket at Shona's for $50.00 last October, anything else you want is also available at a good price compared to Australia. Main thing is to bring your own worn in boots, either wear them or in your carry on luggage as booked in bags have been known go astray at times.
Old 8th July 2008, 03:56 AM
Yeti rustler

Yes, you can get all the trekking gear that you need from Kathmandu. Locally made fleece and down garments are usually a good deal, much cheaper than western (or antipodean) high street prices. The quality is not as good, things should last for your trek but they may start to deteriorate soon after. If you are buying a down jacket or sleeping bag then remember to check the down/feather ratios. Don't trust brand names.

And as Robert says, you need comfortable boots, bring them from home. And if you are carrying a heavy pack then same goes for that. There are many trek gear shops in Thamel, most are quite mundane but there are a few (not limited to Shona's) have some good stuff, shop around and you may find some good bargains.
Old 8th July 2008, 03:06 PM

The Kathmandu bazaar is good for carpets (if you know how to tell a good one from a bad one) and various other handicrafts (e.g., tankas, tantric statuettes) and some second hand trekking and climbing gear, but only some. The stuff that is good is that which the Nepalese have little or no use for, e.g., crampons, ice-axes, ropes, stoves run on fuels not widely available locally, etc. When it comes to tents, down jackets, sleeping bags, and first rate hiking boots, it is more hard to find good stuff, and it will not go for rock bottom prices, as it is much appreciated by the locals.

The fake stuff may be ok for a short hike, but which serious trekker would want to fin herself or himself on a high pass with a snowfall with a garrish jacket that announces that it is a North Face or Arcteryx while the bloody thing does not hold warmth and leaks like a sieve?
Old 10th July 2008, 05:54 PM
EBC Dec08/Jan09

Thanks so far,

We actually get provided with a down jacket throught the tour company, so would be mainly looking for windstopper/fleece tops & pants.

Also our highest point is Kalar Pattar, not going over any over the high passes.
Old 24th July 2008, 01:26 AM

Default Shopping in Kathmandu

Beware of the duplicate brand names.. They look very good.. But check their final finishing and you will know..

Gore Tex and North Face are common eye fakers..

You can also get the real ones but are pretty expensive.. But if you are just getting it for Use and throw.. Its good enough..

I got a north face set.. Which included Jackets, trousers, Baseball hat, Gloves for less then 100$.. But these were all fake ones..

I also got a few for my frens here...and they were happy..They din realize it was fake..

And once good thing about Nepal is.. There are places where you can customize on your own..We can find them around Thamel..Just Explore the possibilities.. And BARGAIN
Old 24th July 2008, 02:09 AM
Yeti rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
And once good thing about Nepal is.. There are places where you can customize on your own..We can find them around Thamel..Just Explore the possibilities.. And BARGAIN
Yes, indeed. Here is a Top Tip....

One time I met a guy in Thamel who was telling me he had brought his old down sleeping bag with him. It was getting rather saggy and loosing its lofting, being concerned it might not be enough for his trek he made a few enquiries and found someone who could rejuvenate it. A few carefully picked/restitched seams and a bag of down later he was thrilled to have his bag "better than new" at a very reasonable expense.

Old 4th August 2008, 03:37 PM
EBC Dec08/Jan09

Thanks again for all the info so far.

Sorry to bring it up again, but does anyone know about what clothes sizes are available in Ktm? I'll be chasing XL-XXL in windstopper fleeces & maybe pants also if available?

I have my own boots & will be bringing Merino therals from home so have that covered. We are also supplied a down jacket & 4 season sleeping bag through the tour company.

Thanks guys.
Old 4th August 2008, 04:11 PM

I have no idea if these contacts below work. This shop is mentioned above. I have bought many items there and still use fleeces bought there in 2003, 10+ treks ago now. Maybe they can answer your questions on sizes. They are usually not negotiable on price and prices a bit above other "trek" shops in Thamel.

Shona's Shop - Kathmandu - e-mail: shonasrentals@hotmail.com , phone: (9771) 4265120

ps - Sorry if I have I breached the advertising rules for the site, it wasn't meant as such.

Last edited by Boulia; 4th August 2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 5th August 2008, 05:05 AM
Loves the big hills

You will have no problems getting large sizes in any of the trek shops around Thamel. I have bought many XL fleeces and fake North Face jackets and have never had any problems getting these sizes.