Trekinfo.com  

Go Back   Trekinfo.com > Trekking in Nepal > Trekking Companions

Old 24th April 2012, 01:45 AM

Smile Everest Base Camp Trek May 2012

I am Looking for trekking partners for my EBC trek from Lukla (May 4th) arriving KTM (May 2nd). The dates are flexible +/- 3 days

I have a fair bit of mountaineering experience and have trekked/ climbed a lot in the Indian Himalayas... (first time in Nepal so just in case i drop dead you would have to run down n call for a evac .

Everybody is welcome to join..Following is my itinerary but I am open to modifying it as per the requirements of others.. (suggestions/changes on route, pit stops etc. most welcome)

DAY 1: Lukla to Jorsale (Is it doable at a moderate pace or should I change it to Monjo)
Day 2: Jorsale/Monjo Namche Bazaar
Day 3: Acclimatization day (Thame. Any other suggestions)
Day 4: Namche Bazaar to Mong La
DAY 5: Mong La to Pangpoche (via Phortse high trail to Pangpoche, best trail in Khumbu- Phortse
Thenga, Phortse)
DAY 6: Pangpoche to Dingpoche (Tsuro)
DAY 7: Acclimatization day (acclimatization hikes to Chhukhung valley)
DAY 8: Dingpoche to Lobuche (Dusa, Duglha, Lobuche)
DAY 9: Lobuche to Gorak Shep to the Kala Patthar summit
DAY 10: Gorak Shep to Everest Base Camp
DAY 11: Gorak Shep to Pheriche (Duglha, Phulaji Kala)
DAY 12: Pheriche to Namche Bazaar
DAY 13: Namche Bazaar to Lukla

Anybody interested...do let me know so we can coordinate better...

Keep the Faith....

Based on suggestions the idea is to take different routes between Dingpoche and Lobuche while ascending n descending to get a better view of Ama Dablam...
Old 24th April 2012, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Everest Base Camp Trek May 2012

Hey, I am also planning on trekking the EBC route in early May. I arrive KTM May 1 in the evening and May 4 is about when I was thinking of starting. This will be my first trip to Nepal but I have some trekking experience in the Oregon Cascades and in New Zealand. I'm interested in joining you as I'm keen to have a couple of trekking partners.

Your itinerary looks pretty good to me- but have you considered adding a few more days to see the Gokyo valley?
Old 24th April 2012, 02:25 PM

Surv,

Thanks for the prompt response. I am planning to start on the 4th from Lukla. This is a tentative route as I am still looking for trek mates. In case I am doing it alone I would shorten the descent further by day as I think it is fairly doable.

I am open to Gokyo as long as i can somehow loop it back into EBC trek. I would like to see Everest eye to eye and just let it know i will be baaak and alll the way up ...

Let me know....

REJO SAM/M/30/IND
Old 24th April 2012, 03:41 PM

Ok sounds like a plan Rejo! Everest is the most important part of the trek for me also. Gokyo is not a major priority for me, I just thought it would be cool to do that part of the trek if time and conditions allow. I also plan on starting from Lukla May 4. Maybe we should meet up in Kathmandu May 2 or 3? I'll be staying at the Ganesh Himal Hotel.

My name is Ian, I'm 25, male, American.
Old 24th April 2012, 04:27 PM

Ian,

Sounds good. Let me try to redraw the route map to see if we can fit in Gokyo or atleast a part of the trail.

I will be in KTM early afternoon 2nd May and intend to spend the rest of the day for TIMS, flight confirmation, getting some gear etc.

Looks like we are good to go. You can mail me at rejosam@aim.com.

Will let you know my place of stay in a day or two..You dont seem to staying in Thamel...where all the action happens ...

@Reshma...Thanks for the suggestions..we will mate a note of that...
Old 25th April 2012, 04:21 AM

Ian,

If we include the Gokyo loop into the trek n join the EBC route at Lobuche it will add at least 3 days to our plan. We will also have to cross the Cho La pass. So you game for it or you think we are stretching ourselves a lil too much.
Old 25th April 2012, 07:21 AM

Rejo,

Yeah after looking into that a bit more I think it might be too much of a stretch to add the Cho La pass and the extra few days. I'm happy if we stick to your original itinerary.

When you book flights to/from Lukla are you planning on allowing an extra day outside of your itinerary? The plan looks reasonable but if for any reason we lose a day on the hike then we'll miss the return flight to KTM.

As for extra gear- do you know if crampons/ice axe are necessary? From the resources I've looked at the EBC trek is a well established trail with no real technical climbing. Let me know what you think.
Old 25th April 2012, 03:54 PM

Ian,

I have discussed a lot on numerous threads on Lonely Planet before coming up with this route (in fact i think i hv over done !!!)

The EBC trek is fairly straight forward n we will see legions of trekkers as May is also the peak climbing season.

- We will no require any specialized climbing equipment. We can get an ice axe to add some bling (but also weight )
-I am keeping a day reserve at Lukla/KTM i.e. Day 15. Day 14 can also be treated as a reserve day as we will fly out of LUA early morning n be in KTM in 40 mins...so in case you are really cramped for time you can take an evening intl flight..
- If the weather acts up we will just club two legs while descending to make up for lost time e.g. Day 10+11, Day 11+!2 ....Interestingly if you have a confirmed ticket you can move around the dates in Lukla at no extra cost...we will hv to do tht frm Namche...

Hope this helps..

What are you flight dates..n are you fine with giving up on Gokyo for sure....
Old 26th April 2012, 05:38 AM

Rejo,

I'm flying to KTM May 1. I have not booked flights to Lukla yet. I'll book them when I get to Kathmandu. I am not super cramped for time so I'll plan on booking my return flight for day 15. I'm fine with giving up Gokyo... I can do it another trip. I'm probably going to try to make it to Pokhara and the Annapurnas after EBC so I don't want to burn the whole trip on the Everest hike!