Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Christmas time trek across Renjo la to Lundgen and cho La to gokyo?

Default Re: Christmas time trek across Renjo la to Lundgen and cho La to gokyo?

The contents of this thread is really fascinating!

I'm planning a Gokyo - Cho La - EBC trek this Nov-Dec with 1/2 friends. Considering that there's a high pass involved, will a guide be absolutely necessary?

Quite torn about whether to engage a guide because I liaised with a few (recommendations from friends) and all said we will need a guide and go through an agency, seems like it's a new regulation?

If there's no regulation and we can trek without a guide, how difficult is it to trek on our own? None of us have been to Nepal, but we have high altitude and general hiking experience in the Southeast Asian region.
    - will there be difficulty getting tickets for the Kathmandu - Lukla flight if we buy only when we arrive?
    - been reading other threads and it seems like the trails will not be difficult to spot? but will the high pass be tricky?
    - is there a need to book spots at tea houses beforehand - so said the guide

We're looking at an itinerary like Kathmandu - Lukla - Namche Bazaar - Gokyo region to furthest lake - Cho La - EBC - NB - L - K. Likely to be from end Nov to around Christmas.

For first timers to Nepal like us (fit and with high altitude experience) will it be advisable to try Renjo La as well, and without a guide?

Cheers.

I have no idea really but I'm going with a guide for a variety of reasons. It just takes some of the stress off, I feel we can get to know the culture better, we will have porters anyway so why not have a guide as well. RR

Quote Originally Posted by weifarer
    If there's no regulation and we can trek without a guide, how difficult is it to trek on our own?
    Impossible to say now, as it is ytterly dependent on the weather conditions up till december. If there is heavy snowfall it will be utterly exasperating, even impossible, as there might be considerable avalanche danger. If there is little or no snow fall during the autumn it will be a well trodden path, with no major difficulties except for the altitude. Splendid hiking

As for guides, nine out of ten of the guys who try to sell themselves off as guides in Thamel will have less experience than you do of hiking in snow on high altitude. It will only be helpful if you find a guide with (documented) experience of high altitude climbing.

There are some really good guides with plenty of experience from expeditions. Ask what peaks they have done! If they have not been climbing they will be of little or no help, in fact it may just be a problem as you become resposible for them.

There is no requirement to have a guide, though various hasslers in Thamel might try to tell you there is.

Cho La in April
    Attached Images Attached Images