Thread: Best side treks in Khumbu?

Default Best side treks in Khumbu?

Hello all,

It would be nice to have some advice. I will go to Khumbu after 2 weeks - Ww will fly to Lukla and plan to go Chukhung, EBC, Cho-La, Gokyo and maybe Renjo La. We aren't very fast (I go with my mummy) and need good acclimatization, but we have aprox. 28 days for this trek so we have enough time and are interested in nice side trips. I have Schneider map and also looked in others but its haven't much information about this. Till now I know Mong La (from this forum), Imja Tse BC, Chukhung Ri, and Gokyo Ri / Cho Oyu BC / Renjo in Gokyo. It's very interesting for us to know your opinions.

Thank you very much,
    Peteris

Default Re: Best side treks in Khumbu?

There are many options for side trips. From Chhukhung you can head up towards the Imja glacier lake and either go on the right hand side to where there is a circular lake on your right. Spectacular views all round. Or you can go on the left side of the Imja glacier lake following the route towards Island Peak base camp. Great views all round again. Be careful when you climb the moraine to look at the Imja glacier lake. It is very unstable and if you fall down towards the lake, you will not get out!! Sit quietly away from the edge and listen to the booming of the ice and the constant clatter of falling rocks. It is all on the move and the big concern is that one day it will burst and send a flash flood rushing down the valley causing major damage and deaths.

Do go up to the viewpoint on Chhukhung Ri. Try to take in the sheer size of the rock wall of Nuptse-Lohtse then check on your map as to how long and how high this rock wall is and how close you are to it.

From Namche you can head up to Thame and from there you can head up the valley to the west. There is a teahouse up there where you can have a meal/drink before returning to Thame. (Check that this teahouse is open before leaving Thame) You can also head north towards the Tibetan border and you can stay in lodge overnight and return to Thame (or even Namche) the next day. Take your map with you and chat to people in lodge. you will usually get all the info you need.

Please let the forum know if you post pics afterwards on the internet. Thank you.

Have a great trek.
    Last edited by thesilvertops; 2nd October 2006 at 10:49 PM.
    * thesilvertops *

Netherlands (55%), Nepal (40%) and France(5%) of the year

Lightbulb Re: Best side treks in Khumbu?

Also from Pakding, you can go to upper Pakding. There is one place you might be able to stay, but first have to inform at Himalayan guide lodge in Ghat. Name of the owner is Gara Dorjee sherpa. A visit to the monestry is a nice sidewalk from there.

As Silvertops already mentioned about the Thame area, there are more lodges now a days north of Thame. You can walk up the way to Lundeng. In between there are several lodges. This valley is worthwhile visiting and it's very remoted, hardly any tourists.

On the way back from Thame toward Namche, take the upper way to Khumjung and stay a night overthere. It's a nice walk and less tourists.

Next day you can walk to Tengboche or Deboche (more nice logdes).
    Heading toward Dingboche a visit to Upper Pangboche with the monestry is a good side trip and away from the yak caravans.

Take it easy and enjoy!

Harry

Thank you very much. You know - advices from knowledgeable people is much appreciated.
    We consider about walk to Thame area, although maybe we will tray to go Renjo La from Gokyo. Less crowd is much better for us so we think to stay in Khumjung and other quiet places as possible.

Thanks,
    Peteris

Netherlands (55%), Nepal (40%) and France(5%) of the year

Lightbulb Re: Best side treks in Khumbu?

Quote Originally Posted by peteris
    Thank you very much. You know - advices from knowledgeable people is much appreciated.
    We consider about walk to Thame area, although maybe we will tray to go Renjo La from Gokyo. Less crowd is much better for us so we think to stay in Khumjung and other quiet places as possible.

Thanks,
    Peteris
    Hi Peteris,

Crossing Renjo La from Gokyo is a long daywalk to Lundeng. IF there is any snowfall or old snowlayers, be aware that the way down to the lake on the other side can be difficult. The way to Renjo La from Gokyo is sometimes a little confusing, keep as much to the left, avoiding the big rocks and boulders. Last part is pretty steep to the best viewingpoint on Everest, Lhotse and Makalu (full size!!!). Enjoy.

Harry
    Last edited by Harry; 10th October 2006 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks, Harry,
    We take into account that Renjo La is long day, we also read stories about people who lost trail after pass. I hope at least to go to pass and back to Gokyo. We consider need we to take crampons for Renjo La and Cho La or maybe we can rent if needed. "Best viewingpoint" is important reason, isn't it?

It is not that difficult to reach Thame in one day from Gokyo over Renjo la if you are already acclimatized (coming over Cho la) and you are used to walk.
    You reach the pass from Gokyo in reasonably short time and afterwards it is all going down as long as you can take. There are two places with lodges before Thame if you want to cut the tour.
    The route from the pass down is not always clear. We descended the right way only because our porters knew the way since it was snowing and there was practically no visibility. We did not have a guide but we have hired porters who have been accross the pass before.
    Thame side of Renjo la is very steep and exposed but the path crosses the slope safely and is not difficult. But it would be different if there was hard snow/ice. Crossing Kongma la, Cho la or/and Renjo la is not difficult if you are used to walk on steep scree but it is all different in case there is snow/ice on the trail (which is an exception during main seasons) and I would not recommend doing it in that case. Even if you have crampoons your porter will probably not have them...
    Regarding side trips: dont miss upper Gokyo valley - going to 4th, 5th lake and finnaly lakes near Cho Oyu base camp. It is a beautiful walk, there is a nice path and you can enjoy outstanding views from the top of the Ngozumpa glacier moraine (Everest included) not to mention a close look at Cho Oyu south face. It can be done as a day trip from a lodge at Gokyo 3rd lake.

Thank you, kolobar,
    It's nice to have so much valuable advices. It's good to know about Renjo La steepness, and we will omit pass if there will be some snow/ice. I have Schneider map, and there trail from Renjo La down goes to left side quite rapidly after pass, after some rocks. I will go with my mummy so we willn't be very fast but we think that at least Lungden is possible to reach in one day (after Thorung La with big snow last year). We already plan to go upper Gokyo, it seems something "have to do".

Quote Originally Posted by peteris
    Thanks, Harry,
    We take into account that Renjo La is long day, we also read stories about people who lost trail after pass. I hope at least to go to pass and back to Gokyo. We consider need we to take crampons for Renjo La and Cho La or maybe we can rent if needed. "Best viewingpoint" is important reason, isn't it?
    When do you go?
    I have heard that the Cho la pass is part snowfield and there is no track and markers are on the ground, so if the snow is down you cant see the markers and can go around in circles. have you got a guide who is experience in Cho la pass?