Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas time trek across Renjo la to Lundgen and cho La to gokyo?

Default Christmas time trek across Renjo la to Lundgen and cho La to gokyo?

We would like to do those two passes but were wondering is it still passable in a typical year? Obviously we would or could have crampons if necessary.

RR

Default Campons are not the critical factor

I'm also contemplating this. I expect to be in Gokyo late Dec'08 and am wondering if it'll be possible to cross Renjo La and go back via Thame.

Weather is the biggest consideration. Assuming that a big dump of early snow has not closed the passes, and if it has been fine for a few days and will hold for the crossing then it should be possible. But if it has snowed recently and nobody has crossed since then finding and breaking the trail could be difficult. If the weather is bad then walk round. Weather is also the most unpredictable factor.

Also there is the question of if there will be an open lodge at the bottom of the pass. Late in the season that could be an issue. Cho La is quite busy during the peak season but after all the big groups depart there may be very few people crossing and the lodge at Dragnag might be closed (I've never been there). And the same is true for crossing from Gokyo over Renjo La. I hear that the lodge at Landgen is quite nice, if it's open, but having been up as far as Marlung I know that the valley does not have many visitor even in peak season.

Your best bet would be to have a good guide with you, preferably one who has actually crossed the pass already (Cho La is likely, but Renjo La far less so). With a few well placed enquiries in Namche I should think that it would be possible to arrange for the lodges to be open and expecting you on a particular date.

There is a lot of discussion on Cho La elsewhere, but for Renjo La I can heartily recommend this thread.

I am looking forward to christmas in Kathmandu this year.

Default Re: Christmas time trek across Renjo la to Lundgen and cho La to gokyo?

Hello we are looking at this schedule (see below). We have a guide in mind, he has his own company as well as working on the side for a western company which does a trek like this every year. So I am sure he has done this before.

My hiking partner has trekked with him previously.We are awaiting his response on availability, his opinion on timing etc.

Dec 12- Arrive Kathmandau
    Dec 13- Kathmandau- City tour
    Dec 14- Kathmandau- Another tour?
    Dec 15- Fly to Lukla trek to Monjo
    Dec 16- trek to Namche
    Dec 17- Namche with daytrip or rest
    Dec 18- Namche- Tengbuche
    Dec 19- Tangbuche- Dingbuche
    Dec 20- Dingbuche visit chhukhung
    Dec 21- Dingbuche- longbuche
    Dec 22- Longbuche to Kala Patar
    Dec 23- longbuche to Zonglha
    Dec 24- Zouglha cho La pass to Thaknak
    Dec 25- Traknak to Gokyo
    Dec 26- Gokyo to Gokyo Ri- Christmas
    Dec 27- Gokyo to Lundgen
    Dec 28- Lundgen to Thame (? possible to go all the way to namche?, save a day)\
    Dec 29-Thame to namche
    Dec 30-Namche to Monjo
    Dec 31- Monjo to Lukla
    Jan 1 Lukla to Kathmandau
    Jan 2- Kathmandau or alternate fly to Kathmandau day (bad weather?)

I also had seen triste's thread. I also sent a pm to triste. RR
    Last edited by RRainey; 29th January 2008 at 06:36 AM.

It is not such an effort to descend from Renjo la all the way to Thame in a day. From the pass it is all downhill and flat along Bothe Kosi. It took us about 6h from Gokyo to Thame.
    I guess it is not smart to attempt high passes if you are not fit enough and if you are you can also cover Lungden to Namche in a day though Thame is a nice place worth a stay.
    Same with Cho la. You might continue from Dragnag to Gokyo if lodges are closed. More important is that lodges at your starting point are open (Dzongla).
    Regarding proposed itinerary: you can easily do Namche to Lukla in a day.

That's a fairly sound plan. Personally my pace is a bit slower. Do be prepared for things like ill health and bad weather slow you down. Crossing two passes requires two windows of opportunity and they may not coincide with your ideal itinerary. Consider the alternatives if either pass is closed. Can you wait a day for the weather to clear? And are you prepared for a tough Christmas day crossing a high pass to a plate of dhal bhat and a rough bed (actually I'd be OK with that ).

My plan is to arrive in KTM at the end of November. A couple of days to show my mate the sights and get hooked up with our guide and we walk from Jiri up to Gokyo, then back down and fly out from Lukla to get back to Kathmandu in time to meet his Mrs and have a slap up christmas feast at the best restaurant in town. Followed by a couple of days out in the country, I think I'd quite like to spend New Year in Gorkha.....

So comparing our itineraries, subject to revisions closer to the time, we might bump into each other in Namche. I usually stay at the Thawa Lodge, right in the middle of town, see you there

How can I say this without sounding like i'm thumping my chest?. I am in good shape, I have no problem doing 50 miles in under 11 hours with 6000 feet of gain here at sea level.I've run 24 marathons, 30 ultras (6 last year), 15 double grand canyon crossings, Kilimanjaro, Mt kenya etc. etc.. I've never had altitude sickness except for slight when going from sea level to 14495 (whitney) in less than 24 hours.

I wasn't asking how fast it can be done.If I wanted to do that I would do the Everest Marathon. I was more concerned about how safe it was over the passes etc. I intend to spend about this number of days in the mountains.
    I am sure we can make up some time on the way down if need be. Sometimes I do like to go fast but not all the time.

Well, my suggestion to your itinerary:

Dec 12- Arrive Kathmandau
    Dec 13- Fly to Lukla, trek to Benkar or Monjo

I would suggest to go to the mountain a.s.a.p., have spare days for bad weather or emergency, tour Kathmandu afterward.

Dec 14- Namche Bazaar
    Dec 15- Namche Bazaar, day trip to Khunde & Khumjung
    Dec 16- Phortse (3810m) via Mong

Tengboche, or the trail to and fro; IMO, is not as attractive as Mong or Phortse.

Dec 17- Dingboche (4410 m)
    Dec 18- Chhukhung (4730 m), climb Chhukhung Ri (5550m)
    Dec 19- spare day 1

Spare day 1, for rest, or going to Isja Tsho.

My logic: if you go to Chhukhung, climb Chhukhung Ri, then across Kongma La.

If you go to Chhukhung for day visit only, you'll regret it.

Dec 20- Lobuche (4910m) via Kongma La (5535m)

Have a look of this thread, IMO, it's the easiest one (Kongma La, Cho La and Renjo La), so if you intend to across Cho La & Renjo La, don't miss this one.

Dec 21- Gorak Shep (5160m), climb Kala Patar (5540m)
    Dec 22- spare day 2

spare day 2, for rest, or EBC.

Dec 23- Zonglha
    Dec 24- Dragnag via Cho La

In January 2007, one lodge in Dragnag was operating, the lodge in Zonglha was also operating (hearsay only).

Dec 25- Gokyo, climb Gokyo Ri
    Dec 26- fifth lake and beyond
    Dec 27- spare day 3

spare day 3, for rest, or hanging around.

Dec 28- Thami Gompa via Renjo La
    Dec 29- spare day 4

IMO, the view of Thami Gompa is better than Thami.
    spare day 4, for rest, or hanging around.

Dec 30- Thami Gompa to Lukla
    Dec 31- spare day 5
    Jan 1 Lukla to Kathmandau
    Jan 2- tour Kathmandau

I guess that it's doable in one day (about 9 to 10 hours), from Thami Gompa to Lukla.

BTW, the owner of the Base Camp Lodge in Lukla is also a ground staff of Yeti Airline, he himself can issue the air ticket, and he knows who keeps the passenger manifest; most likely, he can arrange a seat for you in the following morning, even if you arrive Lukla lately.

This itinerary is assumed that you're strong and tough, start trekking around 7am, able to trek for hours.

Since, you have months ahead, have fun to plan the trip

Do you want some photos

Thanks for the info! I think everyone "here" loves your photos. By the way which camera/lens do you use?

Please post more photos here.

Endless questions- If we cross Cho La isn't the potential problem the lodge in Traknak being closed?. Our infor said this year it was easily passable.

I suppose we could camp that night but that would involve tents and other camping stuff, food etc.So if we don't take it from Lukla is there an option to pick up/rent in Namche or somewhere higher?

I suppose we could hire a temporary porter to carry tents,cooking stuff, food in Namche? RR

OK, some stitched photos were posted, have a look of this thread.

My camera is Canon IXUS 850IS.

If we cross Cho La isn't the potential problem the lodge in Traknak being closed?
    Well, last January when I passed Traknak (Dragnag, depends on the book or map), Tashi Friendship Lodge was still operating. My logic is that any lodge that was opened in coldest period of winter, without tourists for days, then this lodge is reliable. So, I guessed that they would also be opened in December.

In the worst case, you crossed Cho La and found no lodge in Traknak, you may continue to Gokyo or Pangla, about 2 hours.

About camping near Cho La, c'est intéressant; but, don't you afraid of low temperature? Say, water, toothpaste and Vaseline, all frozen overnight

What can I say, I like the cold I had a cheap 20 degree bag on my Africa treks in tents and my water bottle was frozen every night .Actually it was way below freezing, I would say average was 0-15 at night at Christmas 2005 on the Machame route. It snowed and hailed during the day as well on the 3 and 4th days.

Good to hear about the lodge. RR