Thread: Who to book with?

Default Who to book with?

thinking of booking a trek to Nepal. Looking for advice from other travellers on the best company to go with.... based in UK.

Default Re: Who to book with?

Help the Nepali and yourself by using a Nepali agency or hiring a Nepali guide directly. The price differential between using a western agency and a Nepali agency is at least double and the western agency still hires a Nepali agency to do the real work. Contact some agencies, compare prices and services and I think you will find that you will be very happy working directly with someone from Nepal.

If you check the recommendations section of this site you will find many recommendations for good Nepali agencies and independent guides from which to select. I can recommend Raj at Adventure Thirdpole (adventurethirdpole.com), an agency based in Kathmandu, that I have used twice and have been very pleased with their service.

Default Re: Who to book with? a recommendation...

One way or another, if you book a trek, it WILL be with a Nepal company (even treks arranged through UK company will actually be run by a Nepal company). It thus makes sense to book directly.

Here's my plug for Ngima Dorjee Lama

I've known Dorjee since I met him on the Annapurna Circuit in 2002. He was guiding an Australian couple. We spent much time together (as often happens on the AC) and i was impressed with him as a guide and friend. Subsequently, I recommended him as a guide for several friends, and he again proved excellent (and they are now also recommending him to their friends).

I visit Nepal and trek regularly (7 tiimes so far) and have observed many guides (many very good; some terrible). Dorjee is among the best.

Learn about Dorjee on his company's website (he IS the company...):
    http://www.letsgonepalnow.com/aboutus.php

Dorjee can be contacted by email: lamand@ccslnp.com

PM me if you have questions.

Landfall38
    Vancouver

It will be a nepali company as james and Landfall38 says. The Nepalis will be underpaid and in many cases under provided for in terms of clothing etc. Not to say there aren't some Nepali companies based in kathmandu that also mistreat their fellow citizens. I have been there 6 times and on 7 treks. I use jangbusherpa3@hotmail.com or pembal15@yahoo.com

I have trekked with both Jangbu and Pemba and been very happy. The mountains in Nepal are awesome but the people will really make you go back.

For me it's a complicated question. Odds on I will be going with a friend. He has been to Nepal before and one of the nepalese guides he used and liked is unavailable. So he proposes using his brother in law.

Another company I contacted is recommended by several people on this board. Their price is also somewhat lower although that is not my primary concern.

All I know is it makes sense to use local companies.

Namaste,
    A really nice discussion going on. And hats off to many nepali agencies for getting so many recommendations. Although one really wonder how people are so commited and have enough time to give to promote one or another agency.
    In my case, I myself organize trek in the Himalayan region, and surely with Everest Excursion, that's the company I am in, we offer you the very best of services that the western agencies commit to you and certainly in a comparatively very low price. If interested to try us out write at: info@everestexcursion.com ot visit www.everestexcursion.com Thanks.

Sanjay, I have been to Nepal 6 times and on 7 treks. I have probably spent almost a year there. I have two guides who I personally use and they have become friends. I know they do a good job and friends make the time to support friends.