Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ganesh Himal

Default Re: Ganesh Himal

Guys, re the floods in Leh, would you go or stay at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Paul

Hi Paul

I've just picked up on this after reading your message. Sounds like they've had a hell of a storm:

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/le...ews+-+India%29

I've contacted my travel company (Exodus Travels in London) and am waiting for their reply. We have a week to go but you're due to go this weekend aren't you. Are you travelling independently?

I've just watched the video in that report and I think it is probably a no-go. I don't think they'll want tourists around for a few days maybe even a few weeks whilst it's all sorted.
    Last edited by thesilvertops; 6th August 2010 at 09:17 PM.
    * thesilvertops *

Yes independent travel, were going tomorrow.

I am still thinking about it but on balance at the moment we will not be going.

A tradgedy for Leh, just a lost holiday for us.

It looks like the flooding has come down from behind the palace and hit the town square on. A lot of damage is evident. Agree wholeheartedly about the loss - it's only money for us. I expect Exodus will send us elsewhere.
    * thesilvertops *

Paul

This is the reply I have had from Exodus:

We have been talking to our local operator in India all day about this as we currently have 2 groups in Leh and another 4 trekking with another 2 to follow tomorrow.

Presently we plan to run all trips as normal, with changes in trekking routes if necessary ( but at the moment we do not think this is necessary). The airport in Leh is closed at the moment but there are rumours it will open in a day or so.

So with regards to your group it should run as normal. Obviously we are monitoring the situation very closely and if something changed with regards to your trip we would let you know.
    Are you due in Leh on Sunday or Monday?
    * thesilvertops *

Silvertops we have cancelled the trip.

It did not seem right in the circumstances.

It was a difficult decision as there is a lack of information from locals, the internet contains mainly opinions/comments from people who may know the area but who are not there on the ground.

In a week I am sure it will be OK and Exodus will look after you. My outfit is local and I have not been able to contact them at all.

Hi Cycling Paul and Silver tops
    this is information from India.
    The Leh airport has opened and flights are expected to run from today.
    However there have been a lot of landslides and it is possible that the roads may not be open
    The Army is working to clear the debris and open the highways as soon as possible.
    Re trekking you need to reach the roadhead first.
    I think it should be all right in about a week or so provided that there is no further rain or landslides
    Good luck!

Further update from a friend of mine in Delhi:

The airport is operational. My brother Panki is in Leh right now and reported that there is heavy casualty even on zing zing bar where people trying to cross were buried under a landslide. The army aircraft is rescuing people. Old and kids go first and then the rest. There has been no indication of any tourists dying so far. Airtel mobiles are working. You can see video here http://ibnlive.in.com/news/leh-flash...from=network18

We just hope that the road and air transport is resumed soon. As of now i wouldn't advise anybody to travel to Ladakh for the next 10 days. The road to Rohtang and Spiti is open but again all the rivers are flowing above the danger mark so floods cannot be ruled out.

Paul

Sorry to hear about your trip but I feel you have made the right decision. I think things will be chaotic for many days and it's probably best to stay out of their way. We are waiting on Exodus but my feeling is that we will be offered an alternative trip or route.

Sujoy, thanks for your information. Can you keep us updated?
    * thesilvertops *

Thanks Sujoy and Silvertops, I temper my disappointment with the thought that others are more badly affected than me, and I should be thankful I have to option to choose not to go. It was the right choice.

Our local agent is still out of contact but I have spoken to his Delhi man and he had no firm news of what the trekking conditions are like in the hills or at the trailheads. It may be that case that things are bad but news has not yet emerged. The flood water must have flowed downstream and hit the various bridges. We were due to trek from Lamayuru and I think at least one big bridge on the way there at Nimo is down.

From what I can see in the news reports, rescuers are still at work in Leh and the death toll is rising. Tourists are helping with the relief effort. It looks grim and I would say it will be at least a week before the immediate rescue effort is over. It was raining again on Sat morning.

My airline ( Jet ) have said that their flights ran this morning but I could only speak to a call centre in the UK - they did not even know that Leh had been flooded..

Anyway, we have decided we will try again next year.....