Thread: TIMS to start on January

Default TIMS to start on January

TAAN has made an announcement about the introduction of TIMS here:

http://www.taan.org.np/news_details1.php?nid=638

I haven't found out what the details are other than it will cost us 100NRs(not much), will probably involve a lot of paperwork and I guess that TAAN agents will try not to issue them to independent trekkers if they can help it.

There is another report here:

http://www.gorkhapatra.org.np/content.php?nid=32797

This includes brief information about TIMS for independent trekkers and for Group trekkers. Most of the agency websites just have a copy of the old TRC document with TRC replaced by TIMS resulting in incorrect information.
    Last edited by thesilvertops; 29th December 2007 at 12:27 AM.
    * thesilvertops *

Default Re: TIMS to start on January

This is disappointing news. I have emailed TIMS, and the Nepal Tourism office, and received no response (been one week now). I'm beginning to feel as though I'll have to resign myself to getting a guide. Oh wel...

You don't have to get a guide to comply with TIMS. You just need the piece of paper. Go to a TAAN trekking agency in Thamel and you should get one for 100NRs. Alternatively, go to the NTB offices, some distance from Thamel but quite walkable (take care crossing the roads!) and you should get the TIMS for free. It's supposed to be that easy. Don't believe any trekking agency that says you have to hire a guide or porter from them first, you don't.

Perhaps someone on the ground in Kathmandu can update us on this. You should be able to get the TIMS paper from an office near the National Park offices in the Fire & Ice building.
    * thesilvertops *

I will arrive in Kathmandu on January 28th, and that's the first thing I will do. I will post the results of my visits to these offices (hopefully just one) after I do it. Thanks, Silvertopps!

We arrive in Kathmandu on the 17th and start trekking the Annapurna Circuit on the 23rd from Begnas Tal. I'll try and post some info on TIMS as soon as I can after our arrival. If you're heading for Annapurna look out for us, 2 grey haired old biddies making slow but steady progress. You can see us here on the Khumbu trail:

http://www.pbase.com/thesilvertops/image/81611460.jpg

Have a good trip!
    * thesilvertops *

I'll be lookin for ya's. Hope I catch up.