Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: note of Chhukhung - Kongma La - Lobuche

Default note of Chhukhung - Kongma La - Lobuche

Based on my experience in January 2007, here is another description about the route from Chhukhung, crossing Kongma La to Lobuche, with map and photos.

First, consider to stay in Chhukhung for 1 or 2 days before crossing Kongma La, the Chhukhung Ri (5550 m) & area near Imja Tsho worth a visit.

view of Chhukhung Ri

view of Imja Tsho

scan of map

For safety & leisure, I hired a guide from the Ama Dablam View Lodge for crossing Kongma La. IMO, if you're well acclimatized, there's no difficulty.

Part 1: Chhukhung to valley after Nuptse glacier, steep, about 1.25 hour.

The trail started from the slope, northwest of Chhukhung, going upward steadily. You arrived the "mouth" of the valley.

Starting point

looking backward after 15 minutes

Chhukhung at lower right corner.

Part 2: mouth of Valley to icefall, flat, about 1 hour.

Flat, I meant go upward over a long distance

In the right-half of the following photo, note the icefall, and the triangular summit far behind, you'll discover them in later photos.

going northward

approaching the icefall

landmark in front of icefall

Part 3: icefall to slope with white vertical trace, very steep, about 1 hour.

Fortunately, on the left hand side of the landmark, there's a significant trail going upwards, with big & small stones.

looking backward

trail with stones

The trail turned right near the top of icefall, then you could see a slope with a white vertical trace, keep going.

one quarter from right, the slope have a white trace

Afterward, you passed some iced river/pond, then climb the slope from the right.

approaching the slope

near the slope

Looking backward, you could see the "mouth" of valley and trail of part 2

Well, here's a stitched photo of the view from the top of the above said slope, you might recognize the triangular summit. The Kongma La is next to the lowest point of the ridge.

Part 4: slope with white vertical trace to Kongma La, flat then very steep, about 1 hour.

The trail is significant here, leading towards an iced lake. Passing the iced lake, it's the short, steep trail to Kongma La, full of screes.

iced lake

trail passed near iced lake

trail before Kongma La

trail with screes

Voila, you're on Kongma La now.

prayer flag, about 2 meter high

mani stone

looking back at the iced lake

ridge next to Kongma La

Unfortunately, I failed to take photos that are suitable for panorama view.

Part 5: slope full of small scree, without significant trail, steep & slippery, about 1 hour

zoomed view of Lobuche & research center

Going down to Lobuche is a little bit tricky. First the trace (or trail? ) next to the white prayer flag lead to the iced pond only. Only. There's no way out, the worst, short distance from the iced pond, it's a cliff. Consider the steep & slippery condition, that each step would slide down a little; that you need to pay effort to stand still, IMO, it is a little bit dangerous.

the Lobuche side of Kongma La

I asked my guide why did he bring me to such place, and did he know the path; his answer was quite zen:

"You know, it is mountain."

Anyway, we went back, went upward, then keep as right as we could, for going down.

looking backward to the La

Keep as right as you could

Part 6: normal trail to moraine, steep, about 1 hour

Stepping on screes for about 1 hour, we reached an icefall, below it, a few meters of trail was covered with ice; in which , I had difficulty to traverse.

Besides, the wind was quite strong here. My wrist was through the straps of my trekking pole, when I hold the pole high above the ground, well, the wind blew it to point to 3 - 4 o' clock.

top of icefall

Another stitched photo near the moraine.
    Last edited by triste; 21st October 2007 at 10:08 AM.

Part 6: moraine to Lobuche, flat, about 45 minutes

The normal trail lead to the bottom of moraine, go up to the top, across the glacier, then you arrive Lobuche.

My guide and the egg shaped stone.

approaching Lobuche

Bonus:

Italian Research Center

Pyramid & Pumori

About the Italian Research Center, well, what did I find at that time:

no lodge for toruist
    2 dogs barked at me fiercely, fortunately, my smell, or their owner stopped them.

You're warned.