Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Birdwatching

Default Birdwatching

Does anyone birdwatch during a trek? I would be very interested to hear from other birders about what they saw on the trek. I am planning to arrive Dec. 19 and will go birding around the Birethanti for a few days just going up and down the trek a few hours and then go over to Dunche and bird around there and Syabrubensi.

I would love to hear from anyone who has been birding recently or plans too.

Default Re: Birdwatching

Post on the forum on www.yetizone.com. Dano who posts there does a lot of birding in Nepal.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Cool Re: Birdwatching

Same person. I am going again. lumbini this time as there are a couple of really good sites I have never visited.

Thumbs up Birding reports on Nepal

http://www.travellingbirder.com/trip...p?from=1&to=12

If you follow the above link you can find some superb reports on birding in Nepal which also give interesting tips on places to visit or trek highlights that could be of use to all trekkers. Broaden your perspective and get some binoculars, a birding field guide and enjoy even more of Nepal

Default Re: Birding reports on Nepal

Quote Originally Posted by Suginami
    http://www.travellingbirder.com/trip...p?from=1&to=12

If you follow the above link you can find some superb reports on birding in Nepal which also give interesting tips on places to visit or trek highlights that could be of use to all trekkers. Broaden your perspective and get some binoculars, a birding field guide and enjoy even more of Nepal
    I should have known...

Did you ever get to the Danube Delta?

By the way, I am going to Chitwan (for the 5th time I think), in January. I intend to spend half a day birdwatching. Any advice on a good guide??
    yakshaver

If you stay in the park all the places have excellent birding guides and I have never had to share. There are also good people outside and a local office for birding which is good. I have stayed at various lodges. Gaida was very good and Jungle Island Resort which is quite far off but really good.

I also went to Bardia and stayed with Tiger Tops. Superb.

When are you arriving and leaving? I arrive Dec 19 and leave Jan 3

Quote Originally Posted by Suginami
    If you stay in the park all the places have excellent birding guides and I have never had to share. There are also good people outside and a local office for birding which is good. I have stayed at various lodges. Gaida was very good and Jungle Island Resort which is quite far off but really good.

I also went to Bardia and stayed with Tiger Tops. Superb.

When are you arriving and leaving? I arrive Dec 19 and leave Jan 3
    Thanks Suginami,

I arrive on Dec 26 and depart KTM on 14 January.
    yakshaver

Have you had a look at this website?

http://www.fatbirder.com/links_geo/asia/nepal.html

Thanks Julia. I know this site well and its very good for most countries. He compiles really good information and I often print off pages for trips esp for places to stay which cater to birders who need cars at 4.30 am and odd things like that.

The best books are

A birdwatchers Guide to Nepal by Carol Inskipp.

Superb info on treks all over Nepal so of use to everyone. Plus very detailed info on where certain birds are. Accounts of the Arun Valley, Upper Mai valley and Illam are unique. If you see this on sale in KTM add it to your Nepal book collection.

The other essential book is
    Birds of the Indian Subcontinent. Grimmett, Carol Inskipp and Tim Inskipp

You can get reproductions of the original birdbook on Nepal by the Flemmings but many plates are spoiled and are useless. I have an original which cost 200 US. Its very rare.

Thanks Suginami,

I will most definetely have a look at the books you have suggested, I dont have any on Nepal at the moment, so its something I need to have a look at.

Its the most gorgeous morning here in England today, high pressure on the way for the next few days, so should have some beautiful autumn days ahead. The squirrels are really busy at the moment storing up acorns and chestnuts. We found a little hedgehog yesterday, he looked a bit lost, hope he is ok, time to go for a walk I think, enjoy this weather while its here!

BFN