Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Bag - Will this be warm enough

Default Re: Sleeping Bag - Will this be warm enough

does anyone want to talk sleeping back technology?

i know that clothing and equipment is a bit of a subjective topic, and opinions vary on these matters. we are heading to the Annapurnas in Nov/Dec and need a sleeping bag.

the one we are looking at (Navigator V5) has:
    loft - 600* (apparently a measure of the fill quality)
    fill - 700g (the amount of fill used)

i know you can go up to 800 loft or above, if you're willing to spend the money, so this isn't the warmest bag around. anyone want to make a prediction about whether this will be warm enough for me?

* it says 700 on the website, but i've seen the bag and it has 600 written on it

Its not enough at night time. and its also depend on quality of sleeping bag.you can get different type of quality sleeping bag

I would not compromise on the sleeping bag. December can be very cold. We had -20 at night at High Camp (above Thorung Pedi) and the lodge rooms are not insluated at all. Might have been about -10 celsius inside the room.

At Gokyo in Dec/Jan 07/08 again we had about -7 inside the room. Water was stone ice in the bottle.

Don't be too thrifty on vital items like sleeping bags, boots or socks.

I think I have 900g of 800 loft goose down. Snowgum.

If you know what you're looking for, you can probably find something much cheaper in Thamel. But you need to know and pay attention. I tend to buy items like that at home in Australia. I know they cost a lot, but for me it is worth it. I love my comfort. It is meagre anyway while you struggle to sleep with altitude issues at 4000-5000m up. No excuse to be cold as well. They do give you extra blankets if you wish, but they can be heavy, dirty and not that warm. You can also increase the warmth of the bag by a) having bag liner, and b) wearing extra clothing to sleep. But this second option becomes cumbersome and unconfortable at some stage.
    yakshaver

thanks Yakshaver. i must admit, this issue is causing me some consternation.

my lady partner hates the cold and it will be all over between us if i leave her shivering through the nights with a sub-standard sleeping bag. so we've decided to get one for her.

i, however, am a bit more hardy towards the cold and am tempted to make do with my own bag. it was a present and i have no idea what it's rated to, but i was OK at 0 deg. C up in the Victorian high country this summer.

i'm not sure i can justify buying a $6-700 sleeping bag for a few nights use only - assuming lower camps aren't as cold.

We are heading to the Annapurna region in Nov/Dec as well...one of our bags is Sierra Designs similar in ratings to Navigator V5, I thought it won't be enough and got from Kathmandu (the shop) another down bag to use as a liner - "White Goose V3". It is only 600g and was around $110AUD on sale last April.

Our other bag is also from Kathmandu - "Moonraker", 700 loft, I've paid around $300AUD when it was on sale last April, rated -5/-11/-30C. I tested it on temperatures around 0C and it was good.

However we'll be sleeping with thermal underwear, and more than one layer if needed

This is our first trip there, so we could be wrong in our estimates...will post a feedback when we are done.

Just a quick question - I will be teahouse trekking in the Langtang region in late February. My sleeping bag is fine to about -10deg celsius.
    Will this be warm enough at this time of year? I believe the highest elevations overnight will be just under 4000 m.
    Thanks!

minke: to put it simply - yes, probably. It depends if you mean rated to -10C for comfort or extreme. If you feel the cold then borrow a blanket from your lodge.

Question Re: Sleeping Bag - Will this be warm enough

I just read about Blizzard Survival Bag, can anyone please advise if I can do away with the bulky sleeping bag at AC... I mean with the combination of Blizzard Survivial Bag + 2 blankets provided by guesthouse + a thermal flask of hot water, would it be fine?

Thanks in advance.

If survival bags were warm, who would carry a proper sleeping bag?

Those bags are meant to cut off wind and rain, giving some chance or survival by giving shelter and keeping the occupant dry. There is no insulation in them, thus they would do practically nothing inside a building. Possibly only add humidity buildup and decreased comfort. Forget them.

There is nothing that can replace insulation exept heating.

Down loft figures tell how much volume one ounce of down in cubic inches can genereate lifting a plastic lid in a test cylinder.

500 is passable, 600 is good, 700 is exelent, 800 is getting to be unbelivable and anything over that is a lie. The measurement tecnique is not exact and american companies tend to get 50-100 units better results with the same material...

Loft is not the only sign of quality, how clean the down is also matters especially to those prone to allergies. Best companies wash the raw material twice at +120 C with ultraclean water to get rid of loose proteins which cause allergic reactions on some individuals.

The best down by the way comes from common eider (Somateria mollissima), Finnish company Joutsen makes bedding from that material, costing more than 20000 per piece (sold to Japan, where else).

I used the Kathmandu Moonraker bag for my AC/ABC trek in September/October this year. It was astonishingly warm (I've used it in NZ North Island winter tramps and it's always been left unzipped). It got rolled out for the first time at Chame (2670m), where it was left unzipped most of the night. IIRC, only one night was it used actually zipped up all the way and that was High Camp (4900m). Basically it never got used at all below 2500m, but this was still the warm season mostly (High Camp was early October and it was wet and drizzly, but not below 0 outside).
    During the whole trip I only remember once or twice waking up to frost, and I think that was MBC and Lettar.
    If it were later in the season, even only by a few weeks I think the bag would have been more of a blessing!
    As it happened it was a bit of a lump to carry around, although I was grateful of it when suffering AMS at High Camp, because it made my existence somewhat more comfortable!