Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goyko-Kala patar-EBC-Island Peak Circuit

Default Goyko-Kala patar-EBC-Island Peak Circuit

Hi all,

I will be going for my maiden trip to Nepal end Apr 07 with 7 other first timers to Nepal as well. We have more or less settled on most of the stuff, the information on this forum has very much been attributed to the progress of the expedition thus far.

1 last thing left is that i would like to seek comments with regards to our trekking route, since its gonna be a circuit there is little room for error if we are to continue progressing on the route. Thus, please feel free to comment on the below stated itinerary and your feedback will be very much appreciated!

Day 00: Airport Pick up and Transfer to Hotel
    Day 01: Extra day in Kathmandu
    Day 02: Fly Kathmandu to Lukla and trek to Phakding over night at tea house lodge
    Day 03: Phakding to Namche
    Day 04: High Acclimiazation & rest day
    Day 05: Namche to Dole
    Day 06: Dole to Macharmo
    Day 07: Macharmo to Gokyo
    Day 08: Gokyo- Hikking Gokyo peak and trek to Thanak 8hr
    Day 09: Thanka to Chola Pass & over night at Zongla
    Day 10: Zongla to Lobuche
    Day 11: Lobuche to Gorekshep
    Day 12: Hikking Kala patar & back to Gorekshep over night at lodge
    Day 13: Hikking EBC and back to Gorekshepa over night at lodge
    Day 14:* Gorakshep to Dingbouche
    Day 15: Dingbouche to Chhukung
    Day 16: Chhukung to Island peak base camp over night at camping tent
    Day 17: Rest day or checking climbing gear at base camp
    Day 18: High camp
    Day 19: Summit and back to base camp
    Day 20: Base camp to Dingbouche
    Day 21: Dingbouche to Tengboche
    Day 22: Tengboche to Namche
    Day 23: Namche to lukla

Any feedback is welcome. thanks so much in advance!

Default Re: Goyko-Kala patar-EBC-Island Peak Circuit

Your itinerary looks do'able although it doesn't allow any contingency for weather or other issues. Most people like to spend a couple of days at Gokyo (I'm actually heading back up to Gokyo in a couple of weeks as I missed it last time and I've been kicking myself ever since).

EBC will be full of expeditions at that time of year so it will be potentially interesting although I think a lot of people would recommend the 4th and 5th lakes up past gokyo (scoundrel's view) in lieu of EBC. A lot of the climbers don't actually appreciate the visitors (germ carriers) to base camp, although a lot of people have their heart set of seeing base camp in full swing.

It feels a little rushed (particularly the Gokyo part) but I think we all try to jam as much as we can into the limited time we have for our trips.

With a party as large as yours be prepared to throw in some extra days here and there to cope with illness, poor acclimatisation, bad weather etc. Ability to acclimatise varies a great deal and it is very likely one or more of your group won't be able to ascend as quickly as you itinerary dictates. You can gain the days back going down and between the Cho La and Lobuche and Dingboche and IPBC.

I would:-

Add a day in between Namche and Dole, maybe stay in Khunde/Khumjung (3800m), Mong (3973m) or Phortse Tenga (3650m) before going to Dole. Namche to Dole is 3450m up to 4100m and some people will have problems with that much ascent in a day. Also take the high route up to Gokyo as you fork off from the Thyangboche trail at Sanasa, it's great fun.

I would add another day on while in Gokyo and go up the glacier towards Scoundrel's view and the fourth and fifth lakes. The views from there are unmissable. Be prepared to come back down the valley if the pass is impassable and head up to Lobuche from Pheriche. If you are climbing though (bad weather aside) you should be able to make it over the Cho La. Once over the Cho La as climbers you should be fit enough to push onto Lobuche the same day if you want to save a day back again.

Likewise you should be able to go from Dingboche to Island Peak BC in a day its not that far. On the days preceeding the ascent of IP make sure you are very hydrated indeed, don't attempt the climb dehydrated.

Good luck it is a great trip.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Thank you all for the valuable feedbacks thus far, it will indeed be a great boost for our trip, knowing that our itinerary is well-planned. The rest is up to us to overcome it!

As much as we would want to extend and add more days to the trek, we have other committments back home and the air tickets are almost booked as well. Thus, the number of on trek is more or less fixed. The objective is definitely to have the best planned itinerary so as to maximize the success of the trip, so with all the information gathered so far, i have come out with 2 options. Please do us a favour by indicating your preference, thank you very much!

Option 1:
    Day 02: Fly Kathmandu to Lukla and trek to Phakding over night at tea house lodge
    Day 05: Namche to Portse Tenga
    Day 06: Portse Tenga to Dole
    Day 07: Dole to Macharmo
    Day 08: Macharmo to Gokyo
    Day 09: Gokyo- Hikking Gokyo peak and trek to Thanak 8hr
    Day 10: Thanka to Chola Pass & over night at Zongla
    Day 11: Zongla to Lobuche
    Day 12: Lobuche to Gorekshep
    Day 13: Hikking Kala patar & back to Gorekshep over night at lodge
    Day 14: Hikking EBC and back to Gorekshep over night at lodge
    Day 15: Gorakshep to Dingbouche
    Day 16: Dingbouche to Island peak base camp over night at camping tent

Option 2:
    Day 09: Goyko to Goyko Ri
    Day 10: Exploration around Goyko and overnight at Thanak
    Day 11: Thanak to Cho La and overnight at Lobuche
    Day 12: Lobuche to Gorekshep
    Day 13: Hikking Kala patar & back to Gorekshep over night at lodge
    Day 14: Hikking EBC and back to Gorekshepa over night at lodge
    Day 15: Gorakshep to Dingbouche
    Day 16: Dingbouche to Island peak base camp over night at camping tent

keep the feedbacks coming in! thanks!!

The issue I see with your plan is that you are leaving Island peak for the end with little room for sickness. Even if you are able to keep your pace, not everyone is going to be up for Island Peak. That is not a problem so long as Island Peak is not your priority. I guess if some are not up for the task then they can rest and relax in Dingbouche or Chhukung or even head lower. To provide flexibility consider having two guides so that the group could divide if necessary.

If all are feeling well, you could also shave a night off at Gorekshep by doing EBC the afternoon you arrive and Kalapatar the next morning before heading to Dingbouche. That would be to make up or to leave an extra day for the peak attempt.

Keep in mind that flights to and from Lukla are often cancelled. While flying in if you are delayed you can adjust for a lost day or two, however there is no substitute for having a few extra days in Kathmandu before your flight home. The Lukla departure gate is tense enough with tired smelly trekkers wanting to get back to the luxury of Kathmandu, those expecting to miss their flight home due to cancelled Lukla flights are particularly testy. Pick your priorities and plan accordingly.

Please be sure to let us know how you make out - you will have a great time even if you have to be a little flexible with your plans.

I would go for option 2. James is right, you could save a day when up at Gorak Shep and I would be prepared to change plans due to delays, illness weather etc after you cross the Cho La and head straight up towards Island Peak BC and miss out on EBC. If time then allows you will be fit and acclimatised enough to run straight up to EBC and back in a couple of days. Heed James' advice about Lukla flights out, you will need some days contingency at the end of your trek.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

I agree with comments above. You should definitely stay in Gokyo for a day. Gokyo Ri and a day hike to 6th lakes will be good preparation for Cho la.
    I think you hang around Gorak Shep for too long. It is not the most pleasant place to stay and to me going up Kala Pattar from Lobuche and return the same day is enough. On days 12-14 you will have plenty of time. Instead I would stay a day in Chukung. You might even cross from Lobuche to Chukung over Kongma la. Climbing sherpas usually run a "schnellkurs" for begginers about using ropes for ascent/descend. This would be much nicer to do in Chukung than at BC. If you are not too tired you can go to Chukung Ri.
    The idea about two guides is worth considering. Even very fit people react differentlly to such high altitude treks and it is very likely that someone might get to tired, ill... to continue and will want to descend.

Quote Originally Posted by James
    The issue I see with your plan is that you are leaving Island peak for the end with little room for sickness. Even if you are able to keep your pace, not everyone is going to be up for Island Peak. That is not a problem so long as Island Peak is not your priority. I guess if some are not up for the task then they can rest and relax in Dingbouche or Chhukung or even head lower. To provide flexibility consider having two guides so that the group could divide if necessary.

If all are feeling well, you could also shave a night off at Gorekshep by doing EBC the afternoon you arrive and Kalapatar the next morning before heading to Dingbouche. That would be to make up or to leave an extra day for the peak attempt.

Keep in mind that flights to and from Lukla are often cancelled. While flying in if you are delayed you can adjust for a lost day or two, however there is no substitute for having a few extra days in Kathmandu before your flight home. The Lukla departure gate is tense enough with tired smelly trekkers wanting to get back to the luxury of Kathmandu, those expecting to miss their flight home due to cancelled Lukla flights are particularly testy. Pick your priorities and plan accordingly.

Please be sure to let us know how you make out - you will have a great time even if you have to be a little flexible with your plans.
    Hi James,

thanks for the reply. The reason why Island Peak is left to the end is so that hopefully we can be fully acclimatized by the time we reach high camp. But you are right in that more days should be set aside for the summit day in case of bad weather and stuff.

For having 2 guides, we will definitely look into it. I hope our budget allows for it, since we are mostly students and young professionals still! As for the extra days after Lukla, i guess it is something we will look into, thanks for the feedback thus far!

Quote Originally Posted by Escher
    I would go for option 2. James is right, you could save a day when up at Gorak Shep and I would be prepared to change plans due to delays, illness weather etc after you cross the Cho La and head straight up towards Island Peak BC and miss out on EBC. If time then allows you will be fit and acclimatised enough to run straight up to EBC and back in a couple of days. Heed James' advice about Lukla flights out, you will need some days contingency at the end of your trek.
    Ok, seems like we should very much 'play by the ear' on the trip. Definitely we will and i would think the priority of my team will be to summit Island Peak, if missing out on EBC is the right thing to do, it will be done.

Escher, is the average group size for nepal treks much lesser than 8?

Quote Originally Posted by kolobar
    I agree with comments above. You should definitely stay in Gokyo for a day. Gokyo Ri and a day hike to 6th lakes will be good preparation for Cho la.
    I think you hang around Gorak Shep for too long. It is not the most pleasant place to stay and to me going up Kala Pattar from Lobuche and return the same day is enough. On days 12-14 you will have plenty of time. Instead I would stay a day in Chukung. You might even cross from Lobuche to Chukung over Kongma la. Climbing sherpas usually run a "schnellkurs" for begginers about using ropes for ascent/descend. This would be much nicer to do in Chukung than at BC. If you are not too tired you can go to Chukung Ri.
    The idea about two guides is worth considering. Even very fit people react differentlly to such high altitude treks and it is very likely that someone might get to tired, ill... to continue and will want to descend.
    How about this?

Day 09: Goyko to Goyko Ri
    Day 10: Exploration around Goyko and overnight at Thanak
    Day 11: Thanak to Cho La and overnight at Lobuche
    Day 12: Lobuche to Gorekshep to EBC and overnight at Gorekshep
    Day 13: Hikking Kala patar & back to Lobuche over night at lodge
    Day 14: Lobuche to Chhukung