Thread: Excellent porter/guide

Default Excellent porter/guide

Recommendation of an excellent porter/guide for the Annapurna region

In October 2006 we visited Nepal with our daughter and having stayed in Pokhara, we then went on a trek to the Annapurna Sanctuary.

Our guide for this trek was Dipak Khadka. He (accompanied by another porter) provided an excellent service, and we would like to recommend him to any other trekkers who require a guide/porter. He was very reliable, honest, considerate, attentive, and made our trek very enjoyable and hassle-free as he took care of all the arrangements in every detail. His spoken English was good, and he has recently been studying to improve it. We are both of retirement age and we found Dipak (aged about 30 years, married with one young son) to be very sensitive to our needs, ensuring that we were as comfortable as possible both during trekking and with the accommodation en-route. He was very friendly and we had wonderful evenings in the lodges, talking and playing cards. On a couple of occasions, he entertained the lodge-full of guests with his expertise on the drums to accompany the impromptu singing and dancing. He made our first trip to Nepal so memorable due to his ability to take care of everything (even knowing what we wanted before we did!) so that we could enjoy a relaxed holiday. He has the gift of a quiet presence and gentle thoughtfulness, always being there to do just what was required at that moment. He was a perfect companion on the trek. We are certainly hoping to return and would of course use Dipak, so we can highly recommend him.

We hope that you would consider hiring Dipak for your trek.
    He can be contacted by email on dipak_khadka123@yahoo.com

Happy trekking with Dipak
    John and Ann from UK

Default Re: Excellent porter/guide

Thanks John and Ann for recommending Dipak.

In October 07, I organised a group of 7 to do the AC, most requiring a porter. I chose Dipak from your posting on this website and was glad I did. Along with his brother Dil and friend Raz, they did an excellent job. Dipak proved to be a great guide with his knowledge of the mountains and trekking. He knew all the peaks, the times and distances to the next village and the lodge owners who all received him warmly.

We were privileged to be invited to Dipak's home for dinner after the trek and experience his family's hospitality, something that will stay with me for a very long time.

This was my third visit to Nepal and my first time to hire a porter or guide. I will be returning to Nepal and will definately be hiring Dipak again.

I can unreservedly recommend Dipak to anyone who is thinking of hiring a porter/guide.

Mark
    Australia