Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Food

Default Re: Food

Quote Originally Posted by Oli
    Third Eye
    Run by Indians. Good food. I've been a couple of times and would return... if there weren't so many other great eateries to sample
    It is our favourite resturant, along with Ghar e Kebab in the hotel de lŽAnnapurna. Splendid tandoori food, and they use ghee rather than that mustard oil that gives a lot of the food a foul taste.

— We systematically stick to Indian vegetarian food when we eat in the market, except for breakfast.

beer Re: Food

Reposting after a long period of time.Sorry for the delay,had been bsy with work.

Have came across a restaurant called Beehive Inc Restaurant,and the place is cool,the food however is the same in menu with other restaurants.But what counts is that it is relaxing and informative place.The staff they don't only provide u with good customer service but also with help in whatever matter.So if you're in thamel just peep into Beehive some day.It is located in the world link building and is besides the morrocon embassy across the street in the opposite building.

Would like to hear from Oli and yakshaver 2.How r u doin?
    Warmest regards,

How about the Kathmandu guest house does it have breakfast and if so is it Ok?

Also where to get good Indian food? RR

The third eye for Indian. I eat there several times whenever I am in Kathmandu

I've never stayed in KGH, nor sampled their breakfasts. I've eaten dinner there many times as its a great spot for meeting random trekkers because everyone knows where it is. My favorite for breakfast is Northfield's, just a couple of doors up from KGH. See 1st tip in 1st post and then note subsequent comparison with Mike's.

I thoroughly enjoyed doing my field research for this thread, thanks Dipendra for bumping it up

Malai sanchai cha, tara khusi lagena - mo Nepalma hoina. Tapailai, kasto cha?
    Last edited by Oli; 28th May 2008 at 03:46 AM. Reason: ma/mo?

Thanks for the recommendation 7days. Good to have another good place to sample in Thamel.

A bit more detail as to where it is located, perhaps?

I staid at KGH a number of times. Breakfast is ok but not memorable. I like Northfiled as well for breakfast. As well as hanging out at the bar for half an hour in the evening...

Mike's Breakfast is of course very good, in both KTM and Pokhara. Don't expect Hilton's Sunday breakfast in Sydney, but it is quite ok... The Yak&Yeti restaurant used to have an excellent buffet-breakfast for about 600 Rupess all-u-can-engorge. I don't know if they still have it.

But breakfast is not really civilised dining. It is just... breakfast. I can't get too excited about it. My formeost question is: Does the place have good coffee? And I did not manage to find a place with a good barista machine, or barista skills for that matter, in order to give me a half decent flat white... There are a couple of decent places for good filter coffee, but not Cappucino stuf.
    So in Kathmandu get me to a good place for dinner.
    yakshaver

Hmmmmmm Weizen bakery- cappuccino, croissants, fresh OJ....

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon
    Hmmmmmm Weizen bakery- cappuccino, croissants, fresh OJ....
    And cake! Lovely lovely cake

I love breakfast, it is my most favourite meal of the day, though I consider myself to be a morning person, Im usually in a bit of a daze! It is nice to get up, have couple of cups of good breakfast tea, didn't find one in KTM! Then trundle off to get breakfast.

KTM always seemed to have a nice feeling about it first thing in the morning, locals pottering around, getting ready for their day ahead, the warmth of the sun coming through and that sort of buzzy feeling you get when you feel excited about the day. I agree with Sharon, Weizen bakery, hmmm. I was told I had to try the yak cheese sandwich, which I did, and it was very nice with a cup of coffee, and watching the world go by.

I found a couple of places where I had a lovely coffee, I wish I could remember what they were called. Where were they Escher?

I remember one was in an Italian restuarant, I even had two cups, and the other was in the curry house. Im afraid I dont like cappuccino much, I love the coffee but not the froth, the froth has the same feeling to me as say nails down a blackboard, I have no idea why. Plus, some places seem to give you more froth than coffee and that isn't on!

There were three places that had good coffee I think.

Fire and Ice - proper filter coffee wasn't it? Ginger in the tomato topping with the Hawaiian pizza was just delish. As was the choc/vanilla ice cream. Have at least two Hawaiians in Fire and Ice every trip. Just love 'em.

Dolce Vita (the italian place on the corner up on the roof terrace) - again proper Italian coffee.

And the left hand place with the roof terrace overlooking the t-junction in Thamel with KGH on the right and the bookshop on the left. You said the cappucino there was the best. The one you had in K-Too's had loads of sugar in it. (Weird that I remember all this about coffee, I don't even drink the stuff)!

Still don't get Northfields. Their breakfasts are rough! I love the Weizen bakery - yak cheese sandwich, black tea, Himalayan times and Kathmandu post devoured for breakfast (sometimes pineapple bag danish too). Julia is right the cool of the early morning as Thamel just gets going is great time to kick back and enjoy breakfast. Though I was disappointed to find this last trip that they had replaced their comfy reclining wicker chairs with bolt upright, uncomfortable wooden ones.

Every trip I try and get to

Weizen bakery for breakfast
    K-Too's for steak
    Fire and Ice for pizza
    Third Eye for curry

The best Thali/Dal Bhat I have had has been on trek. Had some great ones on the AC this year. Khangshar and Shikhar being the most memorable.

What about Pokhara? The food is not as good as KTM I have found but last time we had a delicious paneer butter masala and mutton curry in the Meera Hotel restaurant - comes recommended. For Lazy mornings (and lunchtimes/afternoons and evenings Pokhara style!) I like the Love Kush nearer to Damside on Lakeside. Nice comfy wicker chairs out front, newspapers to read and quieter. Everyone seems to bypass it even though the food is just the same as everywher e else. I prefer peace and quiet while stil being able to watch the world go by. On the downside (as recommended by LP) the Once Upon a Time restaurant gave Julia food poisoning!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher