Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Food

Default Food

A quick food review:

Northfield's Cafe - a "good" breakfast, nothing fantastic but good food in a nice garden area.

Mike's breakfast - I think that Mike's rates higher than Northfield's. It's a nice 10 minute walk down past the royal palace and has a lovely garden with large established trees and is a lot more relaxing environment. The food was really good.

Yak & Yeti buffet breakfast - good food and nice surroundings although expensive at 660 rs. Full western / indian buffet complete with guy making omletes to order.

Third eye - good food and a great roof top

Rumdoodle was desserted both times I dropped in there, in fact it was fairly empty last time I was there too.

I went for Pizza at Fire and Ice and can't say that I was overly impressed with it, it's not like it was bad but it was just average pizza. Good strawberries and cream though.

Mitra Cafe - very hip little cafe for great coffee and cake although very low ceilings and even lower doorways so you need to watch your head, it wouldn't be out of place in any major city. quite expensive (but that's ok 'cause it was Oli's shout )

"Coffee Shop" at Hotel Le' Annapurna - a very nice restuarant. Expensive but not rediculously so. (2000rs for 2 people for main course, dessert and a few drinks)

Kathmandu Kitchen - a traditional Nepali restuarant on Durbar Marg, 700rs set menu. Good food and an interesting display of various local dancing during the meal. Apparently popular with Japanese groups.

Himalayan Java House - good coffee and cakes, and a reasonable breakfast.

The bar in the main lobby of the Yak and Yeti hotel makes some good cocktails.
    Last edited by Spaceman347; 17th April 2007 at 07:07 PM.

Default Re: Food

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman347
    A quick food review:

Northfield's Cafe - a "good" breakfast, nothing fantastic but good food in a nice garden area.

Mike's breakfast - I think that Mike's rates higher than Northfield's. It's a nice 10 minute walk down past the royal palace and has a lovely garden with large established trees and is a lot more relaxing environment. The food was really good.

Yak & Yeti buffet breakfast - good food and nice surroundings although expensive at 660 rs. Full western / indian buffet complete with guy making omletes to order.

Third eye - good food and a great roof top

Rumdoodle was desserted both times I dropped in there, in fact it was fairly empty last time I was there too.

I went for Pizza at Fire and Ice and can't say that I was overly impressed with it, it's not like it was bad but it was just average pizza. Good strawberries and cream though.

Mitra Cafe - very hip little cafe for great coffee and cake although very low ceilings and even lower doorways so you need to watch your head, it wouldn't be out of place in any major city. quite expensive (but that's ok 'cause it was Oli's shout )

"Coffee Shop" at Hotel Le' Annapurna - a very nice restuarant. Expensive but not rediculously so. (2000rs for 2 people for main course, dessert and a few drinks)

Kathmandu Kitchen - a traditional Nepali restuarant on Durbar Marg, 700rs set menu. Good food and an interesting display of various local dancing during the meal. Apparently popular with Japanese groups.

Himalayan Java House - good coffee and cakes, and a reasonable breakfast.

The bar in the main lobby of the Yak and Yeti hotel makes some good cocktails.
    Thanks Spaceman for the restaurant-guide. I agree with the Northfield and Mike's Breakfast statements.
    And Rum Doodle has lost some of it's sparkle since being moved from Sathgumti 3 years ago...
    Fire & Ice I like a lot, for it's pasta and it's salads. Never ordered pizzas there, as I am not much of a pizza fan. I eat it, but not as a gourmet thing - just ecause I am hungry and there's nothing else better around. The pastas are very good at Fire&Ice, though.
    Must go to some of the others you mention... One tends to stick to the tried and trusted, like Tuckuche Thakali Kitchen in Durbar Marg, or Khishnaparn, or Northfield caffe, Fire & Ice, KC's, Pub Maya. Must expand my horizons a bit, so thanks for the updates.

Secondly, I see that I will probably play a baddie, in the next Harry Potter novel/movie. Thouse hisrstute yaks need a-shaving...
    Last edited by yakshaver; 18th April 2007 at 02:58 PM.
    yakshaver

Northfield's Cafe vs Mike's breakfast
    I am a regular at Northfield's - I like their 'special breakfast' (spicey egg, potato, beans etc). I went to Mikes yesterday, its a little bit out of the way but worth a walk to check it out and a lovely garden. Their huevos rancheros are deffo better than Northfields. Both places have a good supply of coffee refills

Yak & Yeti
    "...although expensive..." I visited Spaceman when he was staying here, it's certainly several steps up the quality scale than the dives I am used to frequenting.

Third Eye
    Run by Indians. Good food. I've been a couple of times and would return... if there weren't so many other great eateries to sample

Rumdoodle
    It's moved a couple of times. I've just been flicking through an old guide that had it more or less opposite the Kathmnadu Guest House. It's OK, but the book is better than the restaurant.

Fire and Ice
    I enjoyed the pizza and icecream. Very Italiano, and if you like that sort of thing then compare and contrast with La Dolce Vita

Mitra Cafe
    charming cafe bistro in the upper end of the market, quiet and yet right in the middle of Thamel.

"Coffee Shop" at Hotel Le' Annapurna
    not quite as posh as I was expecting - but I probably dragged down the standards with my presence. Nice but not special.

Kathmandu Kitchen
    I haven't tried this place (yet). My favourite for the traditional Nepali/Newari thali is the 'Thamel House' in NE Thamel.

Himalayan Java House
    yes, I quite like this place... nice comfy leather sofas. The cafe downstairs (different establishment?) employs deaf/mute staff, so go there if you want to support equal opportunities in Nepal

And I'll add to the list......

K-Too Beer & Steakhouse
    better quality chunks of meat than the Everest Steakhouse. I recommend the blue-cheese stak and the apple momos. Hhhhmmm... this is my first choice for a slap up meal after a trek.

Via Via Cafe
    in an old building at the west end of Sathgumati, the new Lonely Planet guide rates it for food, lodging, drinks and entertainment but when I visited yesterday it was very quiet, I shall have another look.

Sam's Bar
    my personal favourite for evening drinks. Hip and cool.

Weizen Bakery
    great for a slice of cake and pot of tea in the courtyard.

And there are many MANY more to choose from. I'll be doing my best to sample some more over the next week or so. If anyone has any requests for restaurant bar reviews then please feel free to make suggestions and I'll try to visit and post feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Oli
    [B]Kathmandu Kitchen
    I haven't tried this place (yet). My favourite for the traditional Nepali/Newari thali is the 'Thamel House' in NE Thamel.
    I couldn't remember the name of that place (Thamel House), I really enjoyed the food there too, probably marginly better than Kathmandu Kitchen although I never enjoy the sitting on the floor thing.

Exclamation Re: Food

Well,
    Good to hear useful informations like these.
    Though food served at all place is the same,the hospitality counts.All have mentioned himalayan java as a wonderful place to hangout,but has any one realised the hospitality of the staffs.We ,while sharing information on this web site shoulde be aware of the fact ;what we say here goes global.So think before you write on anything ,specially when you recommend any place.

Dipendrakhand@hotmail.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by 7days
    Well,
    Good to hear useful informations like these.
    Though food served at all place is the same,the hospitality counts.All have mentioned himalayan java as a wonderful place to hangout,but has any one realised the hospitality of the staffs.We ,while sharing information on this web site shoulde be aware of the fact ;what we say here goes global.So think before you write on anything ,specially when you recommend any place.

Dipendrakhand@hotmail.co.uk
    I suppose, Dipendra, that you've had a different experience to everyone else at Himalayan Java House. I guess no place is perfect, every day of the year.
    And some places people write about would have been visited once or twice, like me going to Helena's or Third Eye.

On the other side, I have visited Tuckuche Thakali Kitchen at least 10 times over the last 12 years. Every time with the same satisfaction. The menu is the same, the quality of the food just as wonderful as 10 years ago, and the staff are just as friendly and accomodating.

I guess we all just express an opinion based on our subjective experience on the day (or days, if we've been there more than once).

If you had a different experience, please be specific. In what way have the Himalayan Java House staff been unfriendly (it seems to me that this is what you imply...). Or am I making a mammouth out of a mouse, as I am wont to do sometimes...
    yakshaver

Quote Originally Posted by Oli
    I'll be doing my best to sample some more over the next week or so.

This is Kilroy's new place on Kantipath, right opposite the new US fortress embassy. It is in an old building with a beautiful garden, complete with fish ponds swans and chipmunks and tables on shaded balconys and pavillions etc. My guidebook says it is frequented by the rich and famous (its expensive enough) but it was deserted when I was there, and apparently the menus are usually more extensive than the one I saw, but the food way good and a veray peaceful atmosphere.

OR2k
    So far I have avoided this place, but on the recomendation of some friends I have checked it out I am pleased to report that I was pleasantly suprised. It's very laid back with a good selection of vegetarian food. It is a favourite with the Israelis, but I had an interesting time sitting with some trendy locals. Definitely one of the more relaxed and casual places in Thamel

Snowman
    one of the hangovers from the hippie era, a little tea and cake cafe just off Freak Street. Also popular with the trendy locals. Maybe not a venue for the big post expedition party but nice for a snack after a walk down out of Thamel.

Question Re: Food

Quote Originally Posted by yakshaver
    I suppose, Dipendra, that you've had a different experience to everyone else at Himalayan Java House. I guess no place is perfect, every day of the year.
    And some places people write about would have been visited once or twice, like me going to Helena's or Third Eye.

On the other side, I have visited Tuckuche Thakali Kitchen at least 10 times over the last 12 years. Every time with the same satisfaction. The menu is the same, the quality of the food just as wonderful as 10 years ago, and the staff are just as friendly and accomodating.

I guess we all just express an opinion based on our subjective experience on the day (or days, if we've been there more than once).

If you had a different experience, please be specific. In what way have the Himalayan Java House staff been unfriendly (it seems to me that this is what you imply...). Or am I making a mammouth out of a mouse, as I am wont to do sometimes...
    Hey Yakshaver!
    Thanks,it's good to know that some one some where is very keen and interested in replying to each and every one over here in the forum.We all really appreciate your work.Keep it up.

And as for the previous post,i did not mean himalayan java particularly.It could be anyone.The thing that i mean and am trying to explain is that no matter what food the providers provides us all we should be counting is the hospitality.So before rating on personal basis,we should do a little research.Because i think the place you have went have had treated you good but there are thousands of tourists who has been harrased.So let's promote those restaurants who are really ,really very good.

Warmest regards,

Quote Originally Posted by 7days
    Hey Yakshaver!
    Thanks,it's good to know that some one some where is very keen and interested in replying to each and every one over here in the forum.We all really appreciate your work.Keep it up.

And as for the previous post,i did not mean himalayan java particularly.It could be anyone.The thing that i mean and am trying to explain is that no matter what food the providers provides us all we should be counting is the hospitality.So before rating on personal basis,we should do a little research.Because i think the place you have went have had treated you good but there are thousands of tourists who has been harrased.So let's promote those restaurants who are really ,really very good.

Warmest regards,
    I agree, in the main, Dipendra. As I said, there is also the subjective element and the fact that people often just go the once, and may have been lucky or unlucky...
    Still, this is a forum for sharing impressions, and not a definitive and authoritative guide... Although, I believe this forum can often be more complete and comprehensive (if you do the research inside it) and more balanced than many guide books...

Please add your own opinion on restaurants in KTM, if you whave any favourites, or horror stories...
    yakshaver

[QUOTE=Oli]

This is Kilroy's new place on Kantipath, right opposite the new US fortress embassy. It is in an old building with a beautiful garden, complete with fish ponds swans and chipmunks and tables on shaded balconys and pavillions etc. My guidebook says it is frequented by the rich and famous (its expensive enough) but it was deserted when I was there, and apparently the menus are usually more extensive than the one I saw, but the food way good and a veray peaceful atmosphere.

At 1905: Do they serve fish from the ponds, swans-a-l'orange, or chipmunks au-sarcophage?
    yakshaver