Thread: Children`s clothes

Default Children`s clothes

I am joining a trek in Kathmandu on 30th March 2007 to Annapurna Base Camp. My eldest daughter is preparing a kitbag full of almost new clothes from my grandchildren. Her friends are also collecting so I guess I will be taking an extra 20kgs of childrens clothes with me.
    I am wondering whether to give them directly to the children on the streets of Kathmandu, but am concerned that it my result in chaos. I was also considering hiring an extra porter and giving them to children or their parents along the trek, or give them to a charitable organisation (plus a donation) based in Kathmandu.
    Anyone got any thoughts, advice or contacts?
    Last edited by a1jbg; 15th February 2007 at 04:14 PM.

Default Re: Children`s clothes

Good on you! You should check with your airline on baggage allowance. They might allow you a few extra KG without surcharges if you convince them they are clothes for charity.

I'd suggest that you contact Zandra, she does work for a Kathmandu based orphanage and often requests that people take any spare clothes for the kids there. See here

Thanks Oli, I have just sent an e-mail to Zandra. I will be O.K. with the baggage allowance on Qatar business class.
    Last edited by a1jbg; 15th February 2007 at 06:54 PM.

Oli
    I contacted Zandra as you suggested, but to date have had no reply. Anyone got any other suggestions or contacts regarding children`s clothes.
    Regards
    John

Surely there are several orphanages in Kathmandu. Try http://www.childactionnepal.org.uk/

Or if you care to lug the stuff to Pokhara then there is the Namaste Orphanage (I've met Cynthia and believe they are a worth cause)

Hi

Exodus in London sponsor the Nava Kiran orphanage in Pokhara. We have made various donations through Exodus and we have visited the orphanage twice. They welcome donations and visits. There is information on this web-page:

http://www.exodus.co.uk/nepalproject.html#Paragraph42

You can arrange to meet in Kathmandu and you will be taken to the orphanage and back to Kathmandu afterwards. Remember that on school days the children will be at school so if you want to meet the children make your arrangements carefully.

Money donations can also be made through the link on the Exodus webpage.

Hope this helps.
    * thesilvertops *