Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Insurance and Implications for Nepal

Default Travel Insurance and Implications for Nepal

Hi Folks I have just checked with the UK Foreign Office and they are advising against ALL BUT ESSENTIAL travel to Nepal
    I then telephoned my Travel Insurance office and asked how this would affect my Insurance , Understandably they said I would NOT be covered by the insurance if we were to travel to Nepal
    My question is this Obviously under the circumstances we are close to the earthquake and tremors are still being felt But by October if the travel restrictions are still in place this will have SERIOUS implications for Nepal Tourism as people will not travel without insurance and trekking agencies will not be taking clients
    Have we as a group experienced a Foreign Office blockage and do we think they will lift it before October (no more earthquakes assumed) to encourage tourism to Nepal and help the economy
    Any thoughts would be appreciated
    Cheers Redders

Default Re: Travel Insurance and Implications for Nepal

Hi

not sure I can answer when restrictions could be lifted but I see some lobbying in the Nepal press to have countries reconsider their warnings. Just as you say my usual travel insurance will not cover when any warnings like 'reconsider need to travel, only essential travel and do not travel' are in place - in a bit of research I see World Nomads seem to cover with the only exclusions being the ' do not travel' warning. That could be ok for me as Australia has a 'reconsider need to travel' warning in place which I think is the level below. WN also appear to have a steep premium on over 2000m attitude trekking.

I am close to booking but like many I am needing to sort out before I do.

WORLD NOMADS is fine, provided you are aged under 60 years. (They do not cover 60 or older. I just turned 60... ) There was nothing about maximum altitude in the policy (which we had for a 2012 trek).

Also, last year (2014) when I was searching for coverage for a trek, I found some insurance companies considered "trekking above 2500 metres" as being too risky. I replied that for many treks in Nepal, 2500 metres is considered "middle hills", and certainly not high or risky. Even though we had a guide (because we were going to Nar-Phu), we were declined insurance.

World Nomads would have covered me and be fine, but we found multi-trip annual coverage (each trip no more than 62 days) including much more here in Canada.

Hi Landfall Thanks for your reply and info about World Nomads sadly I too am over 60 so TOO OLD !!! to trek Ha Ha !
    But you seem to be missing my point of the post . In the UK if the Foreign Office says DONT GO , the travel insurance companies will NOT offer cover for Nepal
    So obviously if people who wish to go trekking cannot get travel insurance and dont forget the cover includes other things than trekking they will not risk going to Nepal
    So what I am saying is Unless the Foreign Officies lift their travel advice on Nepal Nepal will be in for a Very Bad Autumn Season
    Thats what I was trying to get across
    Cheers Redders

World Nomads has a detailed page devoted to this question:
    http://service.worldnomads.com/custo...e-you-covered-

For residents of most/many countries, travelers ARE currently covered. Unfortunately, NOT those in the UK & Ireland, due to the Underwriter for UK & Ireland.

Your point is important: check with travel insurer before deciding to go.

Pretty sad that countries have warnings re travel -- not what Nepal needs now. (World Nomads takes quite a progressive optimistic view on traveling to Nepal.)

I despair of travel advisories and travel insurance in the UK. I haven't been able to get proper cover for trekking for years and years (since before 2005 I think), the advice has said you must take a guide and travel in a group. I wanted to do neither so wasn't covered. The reasons for this were confirmed to me by an insurance provider, there was a very large claim made by someone that then set a precedent for ever more, i.e. you are only going to be safe and allowed to be insured if you have a guide and travel in a group.

This one size fits all, arse covering, black and white view is very frustrating and now extends to the even more frustrating juxta-position of western countries sending millions in aid to help out that stricken Nepalis but also conspire to make it nigh on impossible to travel there and help with our tourist dollars and be insured.

'Acts of God' aren't covered in a typical policy anyway are they? So every insurance company lumping Syria and Nepal into the same uninsurable category is frankly stupid.

I appreciate that insurers and underwriters forever are trying to cut costs and therefore terms and clauses become every more restrictive and admin cheaper and cheaper, so it is obvious why this happens. But it is no less stupid in the face of most situations which are considerably more complex than a typical insurer cares about.

Well there's my rant. Insurance will become harder and harder to come by in the future I'd imagine. It's one the reasons we love Nepal so we can go and live a little freer.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Hi Escher thanks for that info I have just checked with my travel insurance company NATWEST and they say that if the Foreign Office advise against ALL travel to Nepal you are NOT covered but if as is the advice at the moment they advise against ALL BUT ESSENTIAL travel to Nepal we WOULD BE covered
    So maybe we will be insured after all !? I will keep checking until we go and let you know if I hear anything different to this
    Cheers redders

Hi Redders

I have just returned from Nepal and had the same issues finding insurance.

I got insurance from True Traveller who said they would cover non-quake related claims. So this company might be an option for you. It was a better price than most when I searched, quite a bit cheaper than WN for my circumstances - I have a medical condition which was automatically covered rather having to go through a screening process and pay an extra premium.

This saod, the FCO amended its advisory yesterday from all but essential travel to all of Nepal to all but essential travel to parts od Nepal. They list the districts - https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/nepal.

It's still stupid but a change that might - just might - ease the insurance situation and is a positive step to lifting the advisory completely.

scoodly

Thanks Scoodly I noticed yesterday the FO had changed its advice , and under current advice we will be able to go to Nepal and trekk and be covered by travel insurance , so as things go now all is ok for us There is still along list of all but essential districts but Kathmandu happily has been left off the list ,I imagine to encourage travellers to go to Nepal So things are looking good for the Autumn season if things continue like this
    Cheers redders