Thread: confusing information

Default confusing information

Afaik meanwhile there are 2 subforums that ordinary members can only use when they are logged in:
    the one called "Safety and Travel Information", and this one.

Yet in the top of the Trekinfo.com forum-pages it says:
    Welcome
    Welcome to the trekinfo.com Bulletin Board.
    Please leave a message on the Comments and suggestions about this BBS section if you encounter any problems.
    and it also says:

You do not have to log in to look at the posts on this BBS
    Isn't that a bit confusing (or misleading) meanwhile?

Default Re: confusing information

Yes, I had also noticed that 'must be logged on' requirement to see one of the forums, confused me too. I expect it's a permissions anomly in the forum setup. IMHO they maybe ought to be the other way around with the 'Safety' one always available, but they ought both be equally public.

I trust the webmaster will notice this and correct the oversight. TIA

As far as the "Safety and Travel Information" subforum is concerned, its visibility or non-visibility to those who are not logged in, is something that was altered between late May and late July of this year. Scroll down to my edit of the last reply in this thread on the Koch messageboard, and you'll see what I mean. Originally, the Kristina-thread here was visible for all readers (i.e. no need to be a registered member, and logged in).

And I like to add that I'm stunned to find out now that it's still in the "Safety and Travel Information" subforum, with a lot of replies after mine in there. I've had troubles for a long time already with this board: unable to subscribe to threads, unable to log in and for a long time unable to change my password. I had no idea - as you can read from my July 31 comment on the Koch-board - that the thread got so many more replies. It wasn't visible for me in the many weeks after late July, untill one day I managed to log in again and discovered by using the option to stay logged in permanently, that I can indeed return and see & access both the upper as well as this, lower, subforum.

I don't recall if in the past this "Comments and Suggestions" subforum was visible to readers of the board as well. It isn't nowadays. But the comment in the top of every forumpage suggests that this subforum too, was later brought under some "privacy" for registered forumusers only (i.e. a "private" forum). I have to agree with you, Oli, that especially the "Safety and Travel Information" subforum should be visible at all times, for everyone who passes by here, registered member or not.

There could be a "Lounge" or anything as a private subforum for members only, where we can do our "wrestling & fighting"....

The TrekInfo forums stated running on this vBulletin platform in July 2004, prior to that things were somewhat different. Since that time there have been a couple of changes to the Forum to add new subforums and also to change the requirements for registration to read and post in forums, mostly to combat the automated spam and to some extent the onestop advert postings from some of the Nepali tour touts.

Now that you have pointed out a configuration oversight I am sure that'll be tweaked as our webmaster sees fit. Subscribing to threads isn't enabled/configured so is not available, no big problem. I don't know about your logon hassles, I have that 'stay logged in' flag set

Quote Originally Posted by Oli
    Subscribing to threads isn't enabled/configured so is not available
    But it was! I used to receive e-mail notifications if another reply was posted in a thread I was subscribed to. Looked it up for you: the last time a normal reply-notification was sent to me, was on May 29, 2005. And such e-mails would also have the full contents of a reply, in this case one by yakshaver to a thread called 'tour leader'.

Thanks anyway for your reply Oli; I now know - at last - that I'm not the only one who doesn't receive any messages from the board anymore... Apparently some "policies" with the forum were changed over a year ago, but I wasn't made aware of that.