Thread: March or October for EBC Trek

Default March or October for EBC Trek

Yikes ! I think I posted this in the wrong section last time...... sorry.
    I need some advice from the sage members here about planning my Everest Base camp trek. Is it best to go in March or October, from a weather standpoint?
    It is my first trek to and in Nepal and I'd like to know if it is smarter to use a guide service or try to get my own porter and trip together. Any other pointers, tips and advice most appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Re: March or October for EBC Trek

Hi ackscaper, welcome.

Either March or December is good for trekking in the Khumbu. They both have pros & cons. Weatherwise they are fairly similar, it's as much down to luck as to trends for the season. And both months are fairly busy on the trail. If EBC, specifically, is what you want to see then go in the spring when all the Everest climbing teams are setting up camp. But if you'd rather see the Mani Rimdu festival in Tengboche monastery then go in October.

Whenever you go I trust you'll have a lovely trek

ps: no worries about the different forums, the distinction between these to is quite blurred

Quote Originally Posted by ackscaper
    It is my first trek to and in Nepal and I'd like to know if it is smarter to use a guide service or try to get my own porter and trip together. Any other pointers, tips and advice most appreciated.
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I guess people can't emphasise enough that if you want to trek to EBC, you need to be thoroughly aware of the risks and symptoms with AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness or high altitude sickness), and how to prevent them. Are you? Did you ever trek "at Himalayan altitudes" before, in some other country?

Do you have 2007 in mind for this trip and not this year anymore? At present it would be hard to predict imo if you'd be able to arrange for your own guide (or porter, or porter/guide), because of the new trekking rules the Nepal government wants to implement. The introduction of the Trekking Registration Certificate (TRC) seems somewhat postponed, but the way it was intended, trekkers will be obliged to book a guide or at least a porter through one of the officially registered trekkingagencies.
    This obligation may change though, so it would be allowed after all to make arrangements with government-registered mountainguides but not necessarily employed by one of the registered trekkingagencies. Another new development, part of the TRC, is the plan that trekkers will also need to provide their itinerary beforehand, so they can be "monitored" to check if they're doing okay, didn't fall ill, didn't go missing, such things.

Several of the other posters here can probably recommend a good (independent) guide, or a good agency, so you'd have the best chances on a lovely trek. Because whatever you do, and with this being your first trek in the Khumbu, indeed don't trek "solo"! Not only is it officially against the high altitude trekking norms in Nepal (and one of the reasons behind the new system with the TRC), with a bit of bad luck it might turn out to be too risky - or even fatal - to go there all on your own.

Thanks Oli and Mieke for the info and words of wisdom. As it turns out this October doesn't work for my schedule and so wondered about the weather/traffic in March. I am tenatively planning this trip for March 2007.
    I am very aware of the issues surrounding high altitude climbing though I have not hiked higher than 12,500'. I have followed many summit attempts over the last 10 years, and made a thorough study of this, specifically learning about AMS. As it will be my first trip to the Himalayas I wondered if it was smarter to go with a commercial outfit or with an independent guide/porter set-up in Nepal.
    Thanks again for the info on the Trekking Registration Certificate's progress (or lack of) as it will change things in Nepal.

Smile Hire a guide or porter!!!

Glad to hear that you are planning your first trip to Nepal. This is a great website for people wanting to learn about the "little" things. As for the question about hiring a porter, please do not attempt to go on your own. I am sure that you will meet several people to hang out with but it is much safer if you travel with someone the entire trip. Besides, the locals depend on your business. Also, it is nice to have someone on your side when you arrive in KTM to fight off the mob at the airport trying to get you into their cabs for mucho dinero and $20USD tips for putting your luggage in the cab. Anyway...if you are interested in a dependable guide send me a private and I will provide you with his name and contact info.

Have fun planning your trip and don't forget to take pictures on the way up.

happy trekking,

critter