Thread: What is this?

Question What is this?

http://www.trekinfo.com/forums/subsc...n&folderid=all
    You have been banned for the following reason:
    None
    Date the ban will be lifted: Never
    Happened when I tried to subscribe to a thread, because I never receive any e-mail notifications of replies in threads I posted in.

What is this?

Default Re: What is this?

By the way, you have a new "member" on Trekinfo :

http://www.trekinfo.com/forums/member.php?u=1163

It's a German word, the username. It means "penis enlargement"...

Somehow I'm not thinking a penis enlargement will be very helpful to fight this Trekking Registration Certificate in Nepal... :-(

There are automated spam bots that post on here all the time - they set up a bogus user then post a bit of spurious advertising onto one of the forums. They are normally deleted before anyone sees them. The member's name you mention is probably one of them and should just be ignored. There can be up to 10 a day and the majority of users set up on here are not real people for that reason.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Anyone interested in seeing a forum that has totally lost the battle against spammers should have a look at the TAAN website forums.

http://www.taan.org.np/forum/index.php

Had a quick look, seems you can find ANYTHING BUT information on trekking in Nepal. Perhaps the folks running this have been taking too much of the products on offer on their board.

Hi, sorry for the delay in returning to this thread.

Escher, thanks for the explanation. So I guess it's not all fun to manage a webforum and keep it a bit serious and interesting, eh?
    "Spam bots"; don't people have anything better to do? I read the results of a study about a month ago that said that as for spam and particularly spam e-mails, hardly anyone takes any interest in the ones about s*e*x (don't know if Trekinfo has filters to keep it decent around here). They're just being deleted or fully ignored by the far majority of internetters, so why take the trouble of sending them at all?

Oli and Todd, I went to look around there on September 2nd, so with an upcoming TAAN-press conference on the TRC. And it was a terrible mess indeed, that webforum. Last week Oli reported about the entire TAAN-website being unavailable (due to exceeding bandwith, a message said). As far as I can see it's still unavailable today.
    As for the lack of any serious information about trekking on their own webforum, isn't that a bit symptomatic for the functioning of TAAN? I mean, there are still so many questions from foreign trekkers that are not answered in a really clear way. And much of the information that is lacking, was also not on the TAAN website when it was still online. I know it's considered to be a Third World country, even if that expression sounds humiliating. But that shouldn't have anything to do with the present situation: it's such a big shame to see the most common, basic rules of how to run a business and even a national industry, and appease as well as please clients, being totally ignored. It really makes a very interesting albeit saddening case for marketing studies: the implementation of the TRC policy in Nepal in 2006.

As for the question in my original posting here: it seems that most of the technical problems are solved with a "permanent log in". I didn't see a "Help" subforum, which is why the post ended up in here. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by mieke; 19th September 2006 at 02:52 PM.