Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Panorama

Default Re: Mountain Panorama

Bloody hell these questions are getting hard! That 8000'er if it is a snowdome is likely to Cho Oyu as it probably needs to be a more western peak, the others being Lhotse and Makalu which aren't really snow domes (it might be Makalu as I don't know what it's appearance is from east of it). Alternatively it could be Shishapangma but I don't think many of us have seen her therefore that wouldn't fit with your clue, so I say Cho Oyu.

(BTW I have not looked at Flickr to see your pictures and cheat, where would the challenge be in that)?

Now this black peak - is it pyramid peak? Then I think if it isn't the Mirgin La again then this is the view from the Sinion La if you headed up to the Yalang glacier?

Those Google maps are outstanding. The geotag to Pang Pema shows the impossible steepness and sharpness of those peaks. The glaciers there have gouged out almost wafer thin sections of rock.

Spaceman: That is indeed the Karakorum but from the North side. You can see the Tibetan plateau in front of the peaks and the foreshortening effect is quite startling. Apparently as you get really close to those peaks they just rear up in front of you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

I knew it, that rock wall and those rolling green fields - so Tibet!

Right! Fathomed out those darn geotags (got home - upgraded to Firefox - all working now)! How cool are they!

What mountain is this? I took this picture here:- http://maps.google.com/?q=-8.9647756...4375(Here)&t=h

We tried to climb it but didn't get very far , that glacier was a nightmare at 2am in the dark and when we got on the face I was very scared! Inset you can see two climbers on the massive face.

Ps. Thanks to Oli for coming up with all the original ideas and livening up the photo thing with insets and geotagging
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Escher,
    Nice piece on your Mt. Ama Dablam experience, is there a conclusion?

"We sit in the mess tent relieved at last to be done with this mountain. But still the drama is not over.
    To be continued... " don't leave me hanging!!!!!!

Escher: the snow peak in the distance from Miring La is Makalu. The other pass is Sinelapche La and it does indeed overlook the Yalung glacier with Sikkim beyond the ridge on the far side. Any last guess on the black rock? It's between 6500m & 7000m if that helps. I don't know how famous it is but it is quite imposing from the valley.

And whilst the Google maps definitely rock, I'm sorry to notice that the Yahoo maps & location in Flickr claim that Pangpema is in Sikkim. I think it may actually be closer to Tibet.
    Last edited by Oli; 11th September 2006 at 04:13 AM.

Oli, you've lost me, I couldn't even give you a region on that one.

Escher; I don't know the mountain but I'd hazzard a guess that you'd be starving when you got down from there, hungry enough to eat a cuy or 2 perhaps?

OK, the view is east from Sinelapha La, the last pass on the hike from Ghunsa to Tserem on the trail between the north & south Kanchenjunga treks.

That is Kanchenjunga on the extreme left, and the long ridge on the skyline above my head is Kabru (I-IV). I had been thinking that the black peak that I have been asking about is Ratong, but from this view maybe I am wrong, it's right on the edge of my map and difficult to make out. Now I am tending to suspect that Ratong is the large pyramid between me and the cairn, as it's clearly not part of Kabru and we can make out the West Ratong glacier as it drops down to meet the Yalung under the clouds. Therefore the black rock on the right could be Kokthang or point 5612. Hhhhmmm.... tricky. Maybe I'll have to go back with a better map and resurvey the area.

Quote Originally Posted by James
    Escher,
    Nice piece on your Mt. Ama Dablam experience, is there a conclusion?

"We sit in the mess tent relieved at last to be done with this mountain. But still the drama is not over.
    To be continued... " don't leave me hanging!!!!!!
    Oh blimey, I'd forgotten I hadn't finished writing that trip! Hmmm maybe I'll write the continuation on here as the pictures dry up after getting back to base.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

hoping you will appreciate even low-altitude pics , here are mine:

part 2 :