Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain Panorama

Default Re: Mountain Panorama

Hi Escher

Where was your last picture taken? No-one seems to have come up with an answer for it.

Here is another one for everyone. It's a familiar mountain but not the view most will remember.

thesilvertops

I had missed that you had put another photo up, I was just going to resurrect this thread to lighten up the tone a little. We are all getting mighty depressed by TAAN and the TRC!

Your photo is great, I love it! Of course its Nuptse and you can just see the SW shoulder of Everest. Of only been up to Kala Pattar once and my memories are really hazy. The ridgeline on the right side of Nuptse looks different from this angle. I shall have to go up there again for another look after the TRC is revoked!

My picture that no one named is of the Cho La from the Gokyo side.

Where was this one taken?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Yes, you're quite right about Nuptse. We arrived at Gorak Shep in the morning and had a short walk along the lateral moraine towards the Ball memorial in the afternoon. There were a number of Tibetan Snowcock about and we watched and listened to them for some time whilst absorbing the atmosphere of the place. Next day we went up Kala Pattar and spent over 90 minutes just below the summit.

Your pic looks vaguely familiar.and I'm thinking Annapurna Circuit near Pisang but not sure. I am also thinking of the other side passing by Tukuche and Dhaulagiri below Marpha.

thesilvertops

Your second hunch is right - it's on the outskirts of Kalopani after some light snow over night. The col on the skyline top left is the Dhaulagiri ice fall.
    I took it just outside the lodge we stayed at and I have stayed there a couple of times. Kalopani is of course famous for its chef's schools and in this particular lodge the cook made the most wonderful, succulent pizzas, piled high with crisp, fresh vegetables. Red onion, cherry tomatoes and fresh herbs - it was delicious. My mouth is watering at the thought of it. It must be time for tea!

Where is this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Quote Originally Posted by Escher
    Where is this?
    Wot no mountains? Chitwan

Yeah a bit flat in them there parts. Just as well there are tigers down there.

Meant to ask you: had you not seen that view of the Annapurnas I posted earlier in this thread? Were you never treated to that view form Pokhara?

What famous trail leads up this valley, where was this picture taken from and how high? And for a bonus point what is the glacier below?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

We stayed in Kalopani on both of our circuit treks. We always use the same lodge there - Hungry Eye - Lovely lady in charge and great cooking. On our second trip - independent trekking - we stayed there 3 nights so that we could do a side trip there that I had found described in a book. On our first attempt we got about a mile and I was violently sick so had to return. We tried again the next day and it was a good hike. Great views of Dhaulagiri and the icefall. That was our 42 day trek in autumn 2000. We started at Begnas Tal and then after Ghorepani we went across to Chomrong and went to ABC before walking out to Birethanti and the roadhead. We took so long because we like to stay places. For instance, we stayed 5 nights at Manang so we could wake up to that view every day and we did 4 different sidetrips during the days there. Regret not going all the way to Tilico but we went halfway and the views of the Grande Barriere were terrific. Our other sidetrips were to the Gangapurna glacier lake, to Milarepa's cave - high up on the Annapurna III glacier and to Braga where we sat through afternoon Puja and were given biscuits and tea and Tsampa balls and were blessed by the lama at his instigation (he called us forward). Really nice. I love the welcome that you get when you join in.

Your next pic looks like the Rapti river down at Chitwan. We did a 2 day jungle stay in 1995. The highlight for me was gettting to climb up the elephant's trunk and riding it bareback round the yard.

I don't know the next pic. It looks like Khumbu and there are some big peaks visible in the background. Is it another pass in Khumbu?

thesilvertops

Meant to ask you: had you not seen that view of the Annapurnas I posted earlier in this thread? Were you never treated to that view form Pokhara?
    No, I've always had really crap views of the mountains from Pokhara. I've only flown from Pokhara once (up to Jomsom) and into/out of KTM in the afternoon/evening so no stunning views from 30k feet. The best airborn views I've had of the Himalayas was that LUA-KTM flight we did this spring.

However, I'd say that paragliding above Pokhara is good fun :-)

The inset is an enlargement of the dot high above the lake, thats my mate Tom doing some crazy stunts!

Quote Originally Posted by Oli
    The best airborne views I've had of the Himalayas was that LUA-KTM flight we did this spring.
    I must have been really lucky as I have had so many fantastic airborne views of the Himalaya. Seen Dhaulagiri through to Langtang four times on the international flight in, including that amazing dawn back in March where I took that Annapurna picture. KTM - Lukla has been clear 3 times out of 4, one was crystal clear - the view of the Lhotse/Nuptse wall was astounding. Two flights to Pokhara have been totally clear and a flight into Jomsom was clear too. There was that helicopter ride out of Humde with those tremendous views of Manaslu (see below) and finally I once flew out of KTM to Bangkok and saw Everest, Lhotse, Manaslu, Jannu and Kangchenjunga. Yes I have been amazingly lucky.

Not been paragliding though. It must be an amazing experience if it is still enjoyable even when you lose your lunch!

Another clue for that picture I posted above. This picture was also taken from the same viewpoint and shows one of the great peaks of the region (on the left), it towers over the head of this particular valley and the dark peaks below it on the left surround this wonderful trekking spot that many of us have walked to along the valley you can see.

A view of Manaslu from a helicopter taken from Humde to KTM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Not been paragliding though. It must be an amazing experience if it is still enjoyable even when you lose your lunch!
    Actually yes. I suffer from motion sickness and that flight really churned my stomach. I was OK at first, really exciting to swoop over the top of Sarangkot, but as soon as we caught a good thermal and started to climb rapidly I began to heave. My pilot was asked if I wanted to land but I was enjoying it even if my stomach wasn't. We soon discovered that I was fine whilst we were cruising over the hillside but couldn't stand the rougher thermals. So whilst Tom was much higher up and doing mad power dives I enjoyed a more sedate tour of over the trees and hamlets.

I would also recommend the white water rafting. I was stuck in KTM for too long between treks and signed up for a 2 day trip on the Bhote Kosi. Great fun and I'd love to do a longer trip, maybe on the Tamur.... hhhhmmmm...

So there are enough cool things to do in Nepal besides trekking.