Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: July Trek - some pics 1

Default Re: July Trek - some pics 1

Great photos, Yakshaver, but good grief, I hadn't realised you're nearly as old as me. If we can just persuade them to extend that new road a bit in a couple of years we'll be able to get our bath chairs over the pass and free wheel down to Muktinath......
    Huw

Quote Originally Posted by Huw
    Great photos, Yakshaver, but good grief, I hadn't realised you're nearly as old as me.......
    Huw
    Huw,

Sorry to dissapoint. I am glad this is not a dating forum!! I probably come accross as much younger because I mostly behave in such a puerile manner (my wife often tells me this, mostly not in a complementary fashion I have to add...).
    yakshaver

>>I probably come accross as much younger

I guess I thought yak shaving was a young man's game but when I think about it I suppose it's more a question of cunning and stealth.... and steady hands.
    Huw

beer Re: July Trek - some pics 1

You guys are so funny
    Huw, I have just been looking at your photos for the Goyko trek and I was under the impression that November would have clear skies? Went to Namche in May and no views of Everest because of the cloud. Great photos!
    so when would you guys consider the best time to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Huw
    >>I probably come accross as much younger

I guess I thought yak shaving was a young man's game but when I think about it I suppose it's more a question of cunning and stealth.... and steady hands.
    Huw

Hi Kiwigirl Yes we went to Gokyo in late November and had blue skies and sunshine every day 'till after lunch when clouds would roll in. We had a couple of cloudy days at the end of the trek, particularly Lukla, but no rain or snow at all. I suppose when to go depends on your priorities - my wife prefers April or May as she isn't so concerned about views and it tends to be warmer then!
    Huw
    --
    http://nepaljournals.googlepages.com

I have been in Kumbhu three times during November and December, once or twice spilling into January), and once during April.

The winter (Nov-Dec-Jan) was the best for views, and despite the cold above 4000m it was exceptional. In April we had a lot less to see, mabe more than half the time was overcast or hazy. Still, it was warmer and that provided for a different trek.
    Interestingly enough, like with Huw's frau, my wife enjoyed the April trek better (she's been once in December as well).
    yakshaver

Oli,

That is not the best picture of Escher that you have posted!

Here is a much nicer one that I have dug out from the archives, a proper mountain man!

Oh, indeed Escher can be quite photogenic
    And well travelled, that one above is in the Cordillera Blanca, Peru
    I think this is another great self portrait, perched above the Ngozumpa glacier, Gokyo

Last edited by Oli; 3rd November 2008 at 02:17 AM. Reason: fixed image link

beer Re: July Trek - some pics 1

That is one truly amazing picture the second one didnt come out . . . . ..

I must admit in NZ I mostly only hiked in summer . . . . .maybe it is a female thing . . . . . .
    When I go back to Nepal it will be for the best views this time. Rain, Hail or shine! Last May was very Hazy. So disappointing not to see Everest. We waited at Everest View Hotel for hours on the rooftop just to see a tiny bit of cloud move so we could see the peaks. We went to Pokhara also and saw not one peak

Quote Originally Posted by Oli
    Oh, indeed Escher can be quite photogenic
    And well travelled, that one above is in the Cordillera Blanca, Peru
    I think this is another great self portrait, perched above the Ngozumpa glacier, Gokyo

Hey Yakshaver
    Loved the sign saying " Hore and porter available to Muktinath!
    Presume an "s" was missing.