Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Trekking Registration Certificate & the Independent Trekker

Default Re: Trekking Registration Certificate & the Independent Trekker

It stays all a bit weird, if you ask me. "Speaking at the 28th annual general meeting of Trekking Agents Association of Nepal on Friday, Pradeep Gyawali, Minister for Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation said"....

So a Minister attends the Annual General Meeting (assembly) of the TAAN and its members, he has a lot to say, but apparently the TRC is either not worth mentioning by him, or by the media who were there as well...
    Maybe I'm simply overlooking something; could be.

Here is a Kantipur reporting about that occasion, with interesting information as said not about the new rules with the Certificate, but about airliner capacity and about trekking in Upper Mustang and Upper Dolpa instead!

Int'l airlines allowed to add extra flights - eKantipur on September 23
    Gyawali also said the government had initiated preparation to reduce royalties imposed for trekking in upper Mustang and Dolpa. “We are planning to exempt royalties to Indian tourists in both the trekking areas. Also, we are preparing to cut down royalties by 50 percent in upper Mustang and by 75 percent in upper Dolpa for tourists from third countries,” he said.

Currently, the government charges each tourist US$70 per day in upper Mustang. Also, trekkers are required to pay at least seven days' royalties to trek there. The royalty charge for upper Dolpa is US$90 per day.

Seems like very bad timing to try and implement this sort of thing. Nepal should concentrate on other ways to develop their country, besides fixated on the western dollar$ I think this is where they went wrong in the past too.

What is insulting about this TRC is that for area like Annapuranas, they are already developed by locals. There are many houses, schools and shops in this area, as well as roads, many stretchs are paved. So the conservation project has been a farce all along. As it is today, out of control.
    So they don't provide conservation of the park area or do they even provide minimal safety. You can expect to be held up for a cash donation! hardly a relaxing trek...
    Poon hill is the gem of Nepal. Who controls this area, the TAAN?

Hi

I think a lot of the Annapurna area is controlled by the Maoists. That's why trekkers get taken for their donation. Last time I was there the ACAP people had moved right out to on the road near Pokhara and all the checkpoints on the circuit were closed. The only government presence was at Jomosom where the army have a base presumably to protect the airport (as at Lukla). Why we are still having to buy the Annapurna permit is questionable! Where is this money going? I doubt that TAAN will have a presence out their as they too will be stung by (voluntary) donations to the maoists.
    * thesilvertops *

Quote Originally Posted by thesilvertops
    Hi

I think a lot of the Annapurna area is controlled by the Maoists. That's why trekkers get taken for their donation. Last time I was there the ACAP people had moved right out to on the road near Pokhara and all the checkpoints on the circuit were closed. The only government presence was at Jomosom where the army have a base presumably to protect the airport (as at Lukla). Why we are still having to buy the Annapurna permit is questionable! Where is this money going? I doubt that TAAN will have a presence out their as they too will be stung by (voluntary) donations to the maoists.

The army was definitely in control at Chame, with a unit welcoming my helicopter landing there in July.
    There were no Maoists up the Marsyangdi valley, or all the way to Jomson.

However a fellow trekker told me he had to pay the maomao 1000 rupees at Bahundanda, a day out from Besisahar/Kundi.

TRC could probably set up camp at Hongde, where the army post is. This is the point your ACAP document is checked. They checked it in both my December and July treks. So you get the ACAP in order to have it checked at Thame, then at Jomsom, I think... I see no other obvoius reason for it right now.
    yakshaver

Quote Originally Posted by Masala_High
    Seems like very bad timing to try and implement this sort of thing. Nepal should concentrate on other ways to develop their country, besides fixated on the western dollar$ I think this is where they went wrong in the past too.

What is insulting about this TRC is that for area like Annapuranas, they are already developed by locals. There are many houses, schools and shops in this area, as well as roads, many stretchs are paved. So the conservation project has been a farce all along. As it is today, out of control.
    So they don't provide conservation of the park area or do they even provide minimal safety. You can expect to be held up for a cash donation! hardly a relaxing trek...
    Poon hill is the gem of Nepal. Who controls this area, the TAAN?
    I agree with the conservation comments. The road being built up the Marsiangdi is very bad, both for the local communities along the valley, as well as from a conservation and tourist perspective. An amazing trek, probably the best in the world, is being lost.

I fundamentaly disagree with the AC being "hardly a relaxing trek". I mean, it is strenuous in places, but phisically, not from a mao perspective necessarily. I trekked along side it in Dec 05 and July 06 and had an excellent time. Did not have the pleasure of meeting the Maoists, though I was kind of looking forward to it. In severn trekks, they have somehow avoided me... In December they were already packed and gone home for winter, and in July I flew over their checkpost landing in Chame.
    I do not believe that encountering the Maoists, and having to pay some money to them, adds to the stress to a significant degree. At least not on the popular treks.
    Last edited by yakshaver; 25th September 2006 at 12:24 AM.
    yakshaver

Default TAAN charging dobble money for Tourist.

I don't understand why TAAN is charging TRC fee for tourist when they alreday charged with guide/porter service.TAAN is chiting for tourist dobble charging money.

@ narba,

They are supposed to have a system operational as well, as of next week, that keeps track of when and where you're headed, with itinerary, your name and nationality, and when you'll be back. It was said in previous announcements they would use special computerprograms to do all that. And TAAN also announced that in several of the more remote checkpoints they would install telephone facilities (whether landlines, cellphones or satphones I don't know).
    This, of course, all costs money. Whether it is all going to work, especially in case of an emergency situation with a foreign trekker which is one of the reasons why the TRC becomes mandatory, is an open question; after all there is no experience with their new "safety system" yet.

On a board in German somebody with a Nepali e-mailaddress yesterday announced that untill the 3rd week of October (he writes untill, and then says "20 days", which is not correct) you would be fine trekking without a TRC. He didn't explain where he got that news from, and it seems that the TAAN website is again not available (or at least yesterday it wasn't). So it's impossible to look up online if the implementation-date of TRC has been postponed. Mailing them (TAAN) also wasn't too much of a success ever since August, so I guess trekkers will still just have to find out all for themselves...

correction

A Nepali travelagent meanwhile confirmed that TAAN would have sent an information letter, saying TRC now starts being officially required as of October 20.

the reply in English on Trekkingforum.com

Disclaimer:
    Please don't shoot me if you're there in a few weeks time, and it all turns out to be different AGAIN...

Hallo, I have the same news from our guy in KTM, that TRC is postponed until OCtober 21. Jupeee

Anyone any further update on this ?