Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trekking Registration Certificate & the Independent Trekker

Default Nepal Trc Petition

@ yakshaver,

Do you happen to know what on earth is wrong with Ian's messageboard (yetizone)?
    I've kept trying to make a post there with a link to the Petition launched from Austria/Germany, but all the board kept saying was that it doesn't accept any http in my message. And there wasn't any: only in the box down below where you should post a URL to make a proper link...

Could you please try if you can make a post on YZ too, with the webaddress of the Petition?

http://www.trekkingforum.com/forum/g...ition&langid=4

TIA

Default Re: Trekking Registration Certificate & the Independent Trekker

Thanks Bunkybest, I think we all ought to sign that. And Mieke, Ian has real problems with spammers abusing his homebrew message board, but I've managed to post a link to the petition.
    Last edited by Oli; 3rd September 2006 at 07:24 AM.

Default appeals re. signing the petition ; TRC background

Quote Originally Posted by Oli
    And Mieke, Ian has real problems with spammers abusing his homebrew message board, but I've managed to post a link to the petition.
    Thanks a lot Oli, I just saw it on YZ and the reactions there meanwhile too. I was aware of the strict spam filters Ian uses, so edited as much as I could to meet the filter-demands, but still in vain. Seems you had more luck :-)

As for the topic: the new trekkingrules as of approx. October 1, I was puzzled - if not sad - reading comments of the elderly Canadian lady who posts on Thorn Tree a lot. She's a humanitarian volunteer in Nepal for more than a decade, but also works as a trekkingguide there (guiding groups). And she has always been very understanding, kind and helpful, in so many ways. When the questions and criticism re. this TRC-thing started to appear on TT, she was frustrated and disappointed because in her opinion "we" ought to be glad that the TRC would result in better safety for trekkers. And she reminded of the disappearances in recent years and emphasised that the new rules were also very much intended to secure more safety (avoiding disappearances, activating help and a search-crew much, much sooner).

And I wonder if this is true: if the (media) attention ("bad press") in the past few years when a foreign trekker/tourist went missing, added a lot to this decision about new trekking rules and regulations, the permit, the end of independent trekking and of solo-trekking. The main focus these past weeks, is money (business) for the TAAN-members only. Read f.e. Krishna's new reply on YZ, something he posted on Trekkingforum.com this morning as well. And while "eradicating" any solo trekking would of course influence the chance on a disappearance (due to an accident), I completely fail to discover any solid information. How do the new rules deal with any practical follow-up in the event of accidents, trekkers falling ill, a trekker (or group of them) deciding they want to change their itinerary, and so on? I can't believe that anything that would be invented and introduced to improve safety, could be such a mess still in terms of clear information only a few weeks before it's supposed to start. Instead, the present information-crisis on the TRC seems to chase at least some people away who definitely had Nepal on their itinerary for this autumn...

Default Re: Nepal Trc Petition

Mieke, yes Oli has managed to put the petition upthere. In the future, if you want to post a link, just start from the www.
    Don't put the http. I think the link still works, I am not sure...

Cheers
    yakshaver

Quote Originally Posted by mieke
    @ yakshaver,

Do you happen to know what on earth is wrong with Ian's messageboard (yetizone)?
    I've kept trying to make a post there with a link to the Petition launched from Austria/Germany, but all the board kept saying was that it doesn't accept any http in my message. And there wasn't any: only in the box down below where you should post a URL to make a proper link...

Could you please try if you can make a post on YZ too, with the webaddress of the Petition?

http://www.trekkingforum.com/forum/g...ition&langid=4

TIA
    yakshaver

Hi

Krishna has hit the nail on the head. Talking about safety of trekkers, etc., has just been a cover. It's all about cornering the trekking business for TAAN.

What about all the lodges who are going to lose our business. As independent trekkers we have spent 159 nights in lodges on our treks in the last 6 years, plus all those where we have stopped for morning coffee, lunch, etc., All of these lodges employ porters to bring in supplies, and staff for cooking, etc.,

thesilvertops

Post Re: Trekking Registration Certificate & the Independent Trekker

I've put a link to the petition on the trekinfo home page and the forum home page. It's doubtful that it will accomplish anything with the greedy TAAN people and naive Nepal Tourism Board members, but it's certainly worth a try.

You can also try writing to the Nepal Tourism board at mediacenter@ntb.org.np

Any other suggestions?

Default Re: appeals re. signing the petition ; TRC background

The ramifications of the TRC rules are yet to be played out, and therefore understood, Mieke.
    First, there is the issue of which we two disagree, and that is the fact that Nepal is much safer than, say Rome, or London, or Australia for that matter (another 6 foreing tourists have been killed due to criminal activities, or dissapeareed this year, and I have not heared you making any noise, Mieke...). And since these destinations don't have a register for where tourists are going, I don't see why Nepal should.

Even admiting that the TRC will provide a database with tourists identities and whereabouts (and the assumption of quicker response in case of accidents/foulplay etc) there is no detail (as you rightly point out) as to how the actual response to emergencies will be any better than in the past.

But the point is not this. Tourists will put up with the imposition of filling out another set of forms and paying 250 more rupees, which is nothing for the wester tourists. It is the ambiguousness of the statements in regards to trekking without a guide or porter. For the people who want to enjoy the trek in solitude (a fundamental and ancestral freedom of the mountains in every culture) this is a key issue.
    Upto this point TAAN has not made this issue clear, despite repeaded pointed and unambiguous questions on the matter.

In the meantime, we'll see how things pan out.
    It will not stop me going to Nepal, and I am sure that, like in NZ, Australia, UK, Germany and Austria - I will manage a way to do my own thing with relative disregard to non-sensical laws and rules. Though I am getting older and chose my transgressions more carefully in relation to causing the biggest impact, the anarchical spirit is still alive and kicking.

Quote Originally Posted by mieke
    Thanks a lot Oli, I just saw it on YZ and the reactions there meanwhile too. I was aware of the strict spam filters Ian uses, so edited as much as I could to meet the filter-demands, but still in vain. Seems you had more luck :-)

As for the topic: the new trekkingrules as of approx. October 1, I was puzzled - if not sad - reading comments of the elderly Canadian lady who posts on Thorn Tree a lot. She's a humanitarian volunteer in Nepal for more than a decade, but also works as a trekkingguide there (guiding groups). And she has always been very understanding, kind and helpful, in so many ways. When the questions and criticism re. this TRC-thing started to appear on TT, she was frustrated and disappointed because in her opinion "we" ought to be glad that the TRC would result in better safety for trekkers. And she reminded of the disappearances in recent years and emphasised that the new rules were also very much intended to secure more safety (avoiding disappearances, activating help and a search-crew much, much sooner).

And I wonder if this is true: if the (media) attention ("bad press") in the past few years when a foreign trekker/tourist went missing, added a lot to this decision about new trekking rules and regulations, the permit, the end of independent trekking and of solo-trekking. The main focus these past weeks, is money (business) for the TAAN-members only. Read f.e. Krishna's new reply on YZ, something he posted on Trekkingforum.com this morning as well. And while "eradicating" any solo trekking would of course influence the chance on a disappearance (due to an accident), I completely fail to discover any solid information. How do the new rules deal with any practical follow-up in the event of accidents, trekkers falling ill, a trekker (or group of them) deciding they want to change their itinerary, and so on? I can't believe that anything that would be invented and introduced to improve safety, could be such a mess still in terms of clear information only a few weeks before it's supposed to start. Instead, the present information-crisis on the TRC seems to chase at least some people away who definitely had Nepal on their itinerary for this autumn...
    Last edited by yakshaver; 3rd September 2006 at 06:23 PM.
    yakshaver

My gut feel at the beginning of this seems like it is the way it is going, that it is all about money and the greedy agencies wishing to line their own pockets. I wonder how much Third Pole has influenced this and actually whether their reputation will suffer because of it.

Independent tea house trekking was one of the unique attractions for me of Nepal. It will be a real shame if they ruin it.

Yakshaver you are so rock and roll! Long live anarchy! You already employ a guide and porter for your treks and you know Santaman will sort out all the TRC regs for you. Good luck with avoiding the authorities and your upcoming fugitive status!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

No problem, Mieke - I work with computers and sometimes the most awkward machines behave themselves if I glare at them in the right way :-/ Unfortunately sometimes the opposite is true :-(

I had considered that TRC was an effort to raise the safety for trekkers. We all know about the sad saga of Gareth Koch and its fair to say that he is less likely to have gone missing if he had not been alone. But there is also a counter argument that people can still die whilst trekking in the company of guides due to inconsiderate itineraries that force individuals in groups to go too high too quickly. The fact is that there are no reliable statistics on this problem (as I'm sure you are well aware). TRC will definitely be a step towards improving this, but how far and whether if it in the right direction remains to be seen.

It seems to me that Krishna's post on YZ is quite correct that the main objective is a move towards a commercial monopoly. They are not giving so much consideration for safety issues or the broader implications for the tourist economy.

Perhaps if the people who have been tasked with improving the regulation and safety for trekkers had bothered to consult with some of the regular and experienced independent trekkers (on this forum and elsewhere) then maybe together we could come up with a more reasonable and workable set of procedures.

I don't know how much we can achieve by debating these changes here and/or by writing emails to TAAN & NTB etc. But considering what a mess TAAN are making of this then I can't see voicing our opinions making things worse. Thanks webmaster for posting that banner up top. It would be nice if all our readers would sign that, even if they don't go to the lengths of engaging TAAN & NTB in an email debate.
    Last edited by Oli; 3rd September 2006 at 07:04 PM.

Exclamation Re: Trekking Registration Certificate & the Independent Trekker

Read one guides' nonsensical explanation of this silly system. The Nepalis seem to have no idea about how to run a good tourist operation. No wonder the whole country is going down the drain with silly rules and continual arguments between greedy politicians.

http://trekinfo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3847