Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Trekking Registration Certificate & the Independent Trekker

Default Re: OK so I was bored & not emailed TAAN for a while, but an honest question

NTB replied on the 12th to say I must ask TAAN

Quote Originally Posted by Oli
    So far the TAAN email has bounced twice.....
    TAAN website news pages seem to be broken. But ifnwhen it works there is a recent press release publicising some new websites rom TRPAP & NTB on welcomenepal.com, eg everest, pretty but no mention of either TRC or the maoist taxes

Didn't TAAN say that with TRC they will be publishing news info on trail conditions etc on their website? Maybe they ought to include a "suggested donation" that can/must be given to the cadre representatives in each area.

Default Re: Trekking Registration Certificate & the Independent Trekker

there is a post that says that Trc is in effect as of the 27th of this month. Is this confirmed or just an attemp of advertising?
    LM

That post is from Rishi, who is a trek agent in KTM, we have no reason to suspect he is lying, but also TAAN have already let their implementation deadline slip twice this month - so who knows?

Unhappy Re: Trekking Registration Certificate & the Independent Trekker

I am currently in Kathmandu trying to organize my trek. Every trekking agency that I have talked to has said that you must use a guide or porter. Everyone that I have talked to said they started checking today or yesterday for the permits. Of course all of the trekking agencies have said that you must use a guide or porter.

One of the climbing agencies said they could give me a TRC certificate but others said no. Another said that you must at all times have a guide and porter with you. This would be a big problem because now I would have to pay for a guide or porter just to wait 4-14 days while I am climbing- so that he could walk with me back down the trail!

The problem that I have is that if I must have a TRC permit then I must get it from a trekking agency. So I must find an agency that I can get the TRC permit from without hiring their guide and porter. So regardless of the intent of the bill the reality is that you might be required to get a guide or porter anyway because no agency is going to just sell the permit. In actuallity the new legislature gives the approved agents great power and might just eliminate all independent trekking

Can anyone on the trail let me know if they have succesfully trekked without a guide or porter and with just a certificate today or yesterday?

Another problem what if you are in a group trekking with one guide and then some people get sick and want to go down and the rest want to continue hiking? What happens then does everyone have to go down from the mountain?

Netherlands (55%), Nepal (40%) and France(5%) of the year

Question Re: Trekking Registration Certificate & the Independent Trekker

Hope TAAN can be more clear, cause lot of different stories are told to me also today. If it continues like this they will loose a lot on tourisme!
    Looks like the trekkingcompanies are just taking advantage from this situation.....

The way out of this for those not wishing to employ a porter may be to form informal groups. If a notice board were organised somewhere where people could join into groups of 10 just for the purpose of getting the TRC, perhaps one person who wants a porter and nine who don't. As a group they could all get TRCs and employ a single porter (for the person who wanted one anyway).

As long as you all head off on the same day, once you hit the trail you can go on your seperate ways. You'll most probably all be within a day or 2 of each other for the duration of the trek so it would be believable that you had dropped back a day or were in advance of the group if questioned.

Arrived in Kathmandu today. I am told I cannot get ACAP or park permits without a TRC.

I shall give updates if it is enforced or If I discover ways around this!

Unhappy Re: Trekking Registration Certificate & the Independent Trekker

It seems that TRC has now come into effect, and TAAN are calling the shots. These are the new rules, according to the TAAN website news pages (when they are working), as of 26-10-2006

TRC REGULATORY PROVISIONS

1. Every trekker has to necessarily obtain a TRC document before they enter any of the prescribed trekking regions and routes.
    2. Trekkers are required to keep TRC along with them throughout their treks.
    3 TRC has to be shown to TAAN authorities, national park check posts, conservation area check posts and police check posts on demand.
    4. Deviation from the prescribed trekking areas shall be taken as a violation of law of the Government of Nepal and that punishment would be imposed in accordance with the Government rules.
    5. Trekkers are required to keep their copies of passports along with them for verification during trekking.
    6. A trekker or a group of trekkers is required to employ at least one field staff of the concerned trekking agency.
    7. TRC shall be non-transferable, non-refundable and non-endorsable and valid only for single entry.
    8. TRC has to be obtained only through the trekking agencies registered with the Government of Nepal.

TRC REGULATED TREKKING AREAS

1. Rara National Park
    2. Khaptad National Park
    3. Dhaulagiri Region
    4. Annapurna Region
    5. Langtang National Park
    6. Makalu Barun National Park
    7. Sagarmatha National Park
    8. Rolwaling Area

The Trekking Areas where TRC is not Required

1. The Shailung area bordering with Kavre, Sindhupalchowk and Dolakha districts, and Timal area of Kavre district, Bhairav Kunda and Panch Pokhari areas of Sindhupalchowk
    2. The surrounding areas of the Kathmandu Valley such as Kakani, Shivapuri, Nagarkot, Dhulikhel and Namobouddha.
    3.The trekking routes to Ganesh Himal via Gorkha and Lamjung, Nuwakot, Dhading and Rasuwa districts.
    4.Ghalegaon, Ghanpokhara, Panchase, Sarangkot within Lamjung and Kaski districts.
    5. Sirubari of Syangja district.
    6.Millennium trekking area lying in between Kaski and Syangja districts.
    7. South of Solu below Lukla.

source
    (please update it)

Default Re: TRC - comatose but not yet dead & burried

I am dragging up this old thread to let you folks know that TRC is currently ineffective but not yet fully/officially scrapped.

Earlier this month (April 13th) a delegation from TAAN led by Narandra BC met with the new (Interim Govt) Minister for Culture Tourism & Civil Aviation, Prithvi Subba Gurung, to lobby and request the formal reinstatement of TRC.

Perhaps those of us who have been lobbying on behalf for the (so called) "Free Independent Travellers" should send another round of emails to relevent parties to restate our opinions and suggestions on this matter.

Ministry website