Thread: Milarepa cave in Manang

Default Milarepa cave in Manang

Milarepa cave is an interesting religious belief says a green background white foreground board. After walking for 3 hours from Braka, i was discouraged to find no cave. Probably the cave is not accessible, or as it says it is an interesting religious belief. So from manang, if you see the sign Milarepa cave,
    dont expect to see any natural cave after 3-4 hours of walk from Braka.

Default Re: Milarepa cave in Manang

Quote Originally Posted by pradeep
    Milarepa cave is an interesting religious belief says a green background white foreground board. After walking for 3 hours from Braka, i was discouraged to find no cave. Probably the cave is not accessible, or as it says it is an interesting religious belief. So from manang, if you see the sign Milarepa cave,
    dont expect to see any natural cave after 3-4 hours of walk from Braka.
    Did you take a guide? I have not been there, but my guide Santaman tells me there is a cave of sorts, where the famous saint lived (and fought off the temptations of the LYW).
    yakshaver

There's no cave visible from the spot where a temple has been built.
    There were no visible trails also leading to anywhere. The porter, nepali also tried to find the cave. Cave is where you can go inside and have some uniform temperature condition despite changes in outside temperature. There's nothing of that sort of natural formation there.

We hiked up to the Milarepa temple in 2000 whilst we were at Manang. Finding the trail was not difficult. No-one was about when we got there so we had a look around and then came back down. It was still worthwhile as you get close to the Annapurna III glacier and you get good views across the valley to the North.

ps: thesilvertops are on holiday, hiking the Bibbulmun Track in Western Australia.
    * thesilvertops *

Wink Re: Milarepa cave in Manang

Namaste,
    In fact there is a real (Milarepa-)Cave- but it´s hard to reach.
    We´ve been there two weeks ago...but there was still too much snow to reach the cave. It was quite easy to get to the Gompa/Temple-Area with the big Milarepa-Statue but beyond there it was too dangerous: When you´re at the statue there are only about 1500-2000 metres between you and the cave: The cave is located exactly under the massive glacier of Annapurna III, so you´ve to go straight forward to the glacier (you see the glacier from the statue- left side of the statue, when looking towards it). We made about 1000 metres then suddenly an enourmous thunder was in the air: A big avalanche was coming down Annapurna III...fortunately the glacier stopped the avalanche. But for us this was the sign to turn around and try it another time again (september/october should be perfect to visit the cave (no snow), the people from Braka told us)...obviously Milarepa didn´t want us to come to his cave. However: The cave really exists (but do not expect a big, deep cave, I guess there is only place for one or two persons in it, that´s all).

The picture shows our last steps before we decided to give up and walk back to the "Statue-place". (In the background you see the avanlanche...yep, this "tiny little white cloud"...)

so far,
    Lama Lebo

Thanks for your amazing picture but it's pretty big, are you able to reduce the size slightly? I have to scroll around to see the whole picture and I can't take it all in. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman347
    I have to scroll around to see the whole picture and I can't take it all in. Thanks.
    Time for a 24" Widescreen LCD my friend. Ahhh, life is good.

Namaste Spaceman347,

the picture is saved on the following adress:
    http://www.zv.uni-wuerzburg.de/studi...arepa_Cave.JPG
    If you open it directly, your browser (firefox) should resize it automatically so that it should exactly fit your screen.

see you

lebo