Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ebc or gokyo ?

Exclamation ebc or gokyo ?

from namche what is the best option ebc or my be gokyo and back?

Default Re: ebc or gokyo ?

Gokyo has nice lodges, is much more peaceful and has a good view of Everest from Gokyo Ri. Lots of little scambles and walks around as well.

hoot72 Guest

Unless you have a life long dream of getting to the EBC (it was mine), then I would choose Gokyo over the EBC...the views are stunning and well worth effort (oh yes..its a b*tch of a climb up and down..up and down..and UP!)..

Either way you go (or choose) you will get a complete work out..

I was disappointed with the EBC..

I was disappointed with EBC as well. It is hard to accept before you go perhaps but Gokyo offers a much nicer experience. Easy for us to say as well as we have done both.

Yes, I must also profess my preference for Gokyo over EBC, if you have to chose...
    One can explore further up the Gokyo Valley towards the 5th lake and beyond a bit, to a place some call Nobby's Knoll or Nobby's Hill or such... I have not been there, but Santa tells me he's taken a number of tourists there and they all swear it is the best panorama of the high mountains in the area.
    yakshaver

Gokyo is very beautiful place in Nepal trek in my exprence in last 7 years.

thank u all
    i think i try gokyo

by by

Dear Meirsch,

Thank you for your query regarding the trek in Nepal especially in Gokoyo (Everest Region). You have made good decision for visit in my 13 years experience in this tourism sector.

Thanking you !!!

Note from yakshaver:
    <Dear skylinetreks, I have removed your brand from your signature, as this again borders on advertising under the guise of giving advice.>
    Last edited by yakshaver; 20th June 2006 at 04:25 AM.

Default do both EBC and GOKYO

I would do both. Trek from Namche to Gokyo via Dole. Then cross the ChoLa pass and trek up to EBC. Views from the ChoLa are undoubtably the most spectacular. Base Camp is fun if you like glaciers and interacting with ppl - depending on when you might be there, there can be up to 150+ expedition tents at base camp. I had a blast at base camp - it was great to have a chat with climbers and see some spectacular views of the icefall...

hoot72 Guest

It was a great and life long experince to do the EBC trek and Gokyo trek but bear in mind either one you choose is tough...not only because of the altitude but also because it does take a little bit more of mental strenght and some sound preparation before you take on this trek...

I know the same can be said about the Annapurna circuit and the ABC trek but somehow, the EBC/Gokyo presents its own unique challenges which really does know the stuffing out of you especially on the first 3-5 days..

I do know a number of people who have turned back a day out of Namche because it was a total shock to the system...

Go prepared.