Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossing Cho La

Default Crossing Cho La

Hi
    I am planning the trek to EBC with Gokyo side via Cho La next year. My qeustion is: is it better to cross Cho La from Gokyo first or start from Khumbu side. What would you recommend (mostly from acclimatization reason)? Most of the treckers is going for Khumbu side but I am still not sure about this.
    Milosz, Poland

Personally I liked crossing fro the Gokyo side. That clamber up would be brutal on the knees coming down towards Gokyo. More of a stril on a path descending on the other side towards EBC. Try and fit in crossing Kongma la as well from Lobouche. That is a specatular pass, easier and much better views. Under rated trail for sure!

Name:  kongma la view.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  49.9 KB

Name:  chola approach.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  78.6 KB

Here are two photos- Approaching the climb to Cho La from the Gokyo side and the view from Kong Ma La looking at makalu, Island Peak and down to Chukung.

Smile

oh sharon!
    Now i regret not doing Chukung ri very much. The view from Kongma la is beautiful! Had i seen this picture before my trip, I would have changed my plan and cross kongma la to chukung instead of going by dughla.My guide said this trail is longer and a little tougher. Are there many walking up and down there like the one from thanak to chola??
    Can you describe abit more of this trail?

Personally, I prefer walking from gokyo side to Chola la too. Get over the tiring walk early and then enjoy the view of Ama Dablem and the surrounding mountains view on the way down all the way from chola to Dzonglha. The view is so good that it simply make you forget how tire the trek has been, at least for me.

The climb from Lobouche is easier than going up Cho la. It is a much better path than it appears to be. No boulder scrambling at all. Descending is a very nice meandering path. I think most guides have not done it so they are n't sure. My guide had never been and instantly included it in his next trek. The views are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon
    The climb from Lobouche is easier than going up Cho la. It is a much better path than it appears to be. No boulder scrambling at all. Descending is a very nice meandering path. I think most guides have not done it so they are n't sure. My guide had never been and instantly included it in his next trek. The views are amazing.
    Thank you for your informations. Well, Cho La has a priority for now and I am gonna try it from Gokyo side. But after visiting Kala Pattar I think I could try to cross Kongma La too. It depents if I will be have enough stamina.
    Milosz

Default Renjo la

Sharon,

Do you have a picture of Renjo la pass? How difficult is it to cross renjo la to gokyo?

Name:  Sherpastrashilapka.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  40.2 KB
    No renjo la but this is Trashi Lapka. This was a very difficult pass. The day before was hours on a glacier from hell. This is an expedition style route. There are not tea houses for a couple of days and very "rustic" tea houses below in Rolwaling.

From the Gokyo side the climb is about the same as Gokyo Ri with more loose stone. Also there was not much of a trail to follow, but with only a little backtracking we found our way. Heading out of Gokyo the decent was more hoping down from rock to rock, it was also more shaded and therefore it had much more ice. I would prefer to leave Gokyo via renjo la than approach that way. The trail to Namche via Thame was fantastic- highly recommend it.

Default cho la, renjo la

To answer the initial question: it does not matter from which side you cross Cho la regarding acclimatization. If you have been to Kala Pattar before you are acclimatized enough, same if you have been at Gokyo Ri.
    It is easier to ascend Cho la from Lobuche side. There is only one steep section - a rocky traverse, which is more comfortable than it looks from a distance. But you have to descend unpleasant scree on Gokyo side. The climb from Gokyo side is longer and more difficult but again that lousy scree is safer for ascent. So both sides have its pros and cons. I did it both ways and I found ascent from Lobuche much easier - but it might be due to the fact that when ascending from Gokyo side I was carrying quite a heavy backpack while on the ascent from Lobuche I had a porter.
    About Renjo la I agree with James. You can use it as alternative way from Gokyo to Namche - it takes only two days. The ascent from the opposite side is a long one since the last lodge on Thame side is quite far from the pass. I would strongly advise against crossing Renjo la in bad weather without a guide who knows the way because the route is not very distinctive on both sides. We were descending from the pass in clouds with almost zero visibility and would probably got lost if we did not have porters who knew the route very well.
    Attached photos are from the Renjo la ascent - Gokyo side.
    Attached Images Attached Images