Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: REI Adventure Trek - April 2006

Thumbs up REI Adventure Trek - April 2006

Hello All,

Great forum. I've been lurking for several days now reading information about experiences from the field. The stories and anecdotes are valuable.

I'll be trekking with REI from early to late April 2006. They offer a EBC tour frmo KTM. Does anyone have experience with REI adventure travel specifically to the Nepal region?

I've obtained a great gear list from another thread. I'll be comparing it to the gear recommendations from REI. Does anyone have a list specific gear that should be included for a tour during the month of April to EBC?

I'll be bringing small electronics on the trek that require various forms of power and recharging. Some are AA batteries, some require Lithium Ion batteries but all require recharging. What will I need to bring to convert the Nepal style of plug to US style? What is the availability of an outlet to recharge MP3, camera, and GPS batteries?

Thanks for the help.

CT

Default REI adventures

I look at the prices REI charges for trekking adventures and wonder how do they come up with that amout? There is no way it costs even a fraction of that amount to do such adventures if you do it yourself? I like REI, don't get me wrong but they are raping your pocketbook. Link up with someone on thsi website and do it yourself you'll have more fun. Happy trails

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sunkist
    I look at the prices REI charges for trekking adventures and wonder how do they come up with that amout? There is no way it costs even a fraction of that amount to do such adventures if you do it yourself? I like REI, don't get me wrong but they are raping your pocketbook. Link up with someone on thsi website and do it yourself you'll have more fun. Happy trails
    For the first trek I will stick with a "known quantity" even if it is more expensive. I'm more concerned about a safe journey then a few dollars.

Default Everest Treks

Namaste!

Please visit our web www.nepaladventurepoint.com.np for the information about Everest treks.

Please feel free to contact us for more details information

Thanking you.
    BB Bhandari
    Nepal Adventure Point

There are several of us on the website who have had repeated visits to Nepal. We can recommend guides that we have used previously. You will pay less, the Nepalis will get paid more and be treated well. REI will use a company in Kathamndu and the bulk of the money will go into the pocket of the tour operator. I have recommended my guide (who I have used 4 times) to other people who alos would be happy to give references. I am busy planning my 6th trip to Nepal this Fall.

It sounds like your already committed to use REI. I'm sure they're good folks and they will provide the additional support you want for your first visit. What you will find after your trek is that most of your money did not go to those who deserve it. The Nepali guides and porters will be receive very little and that on your next visit you'll plan your trek with a recommended guide or local agent. Remember to tip well, no matter how much you paid REI. No matter, you will have a great trip.

See the thread http://trekinfo.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=gear for a comprehensive discussion on required gear.

As for recharging your electronics, from Namche on, many tea houses will have limited solar powered recharging capabilities for a fee. Not sure what the converter is. Try and keep your batteries warm and they will last much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon
    There are several of us on the website who have had repeated visits to Nepal. We can recommend guides that we have used previously. You will pay less, the Nepalis will get paid more and be treated well. REI will use a company in Kathamndu and the bulk of the money will go into the pocket of the tour operator. I have recommended my guide (who I have used 4 times) to other people who alos would be happy to give references. I am busy planning my 6th trip to Nepal this Fall.
    The money is already spent. For a future trip, I will use local guides and sherpas, but for this trip I would really like to know the answer to some of my questions if you please.

Default charging stuff

Chris, you will be able to charge stuff in Namche. Maybe on some lodges up from Namche as well. However you can't count on that.
    Yes, you need an adapter from the USA to the Nepal plug, which is the same as the 2 or 3 pin European. No problem there, as the airport shops have plenty of this kind of stuff.
    I would suggest you buy extra lithium ion batteries from your electroninc gear suppliers. The last thing you want is for you not be able to take pics or video footage because you didn't want to spend 50 or 100 dollars extra on a second set of batteries. Also, try to minimize playback and viewing stuff on trek. Just take pictures or shoot footage. You maximize battery life greately by delaying the gratification of watching your pics or video stuff every evening...
    Finally, above Namche where it gets really cold at night, even in your lodge room, keep your batteries inside your sleeping bag while you sleep - because the cold shorterns battery life greately (it can get down to 5 degrees inside your room, even in April). Don't think of any pervert things, else this too shortns battery life greately...

In regards to gear, please have a look at the link James has posted. There isn't, to my knowledge, a more comprehensive set of lists, or discussion on the matter. Unless you wish to take your shrink with you on trek, or perhaps a satelite PDA to keep in touch with your cat's psychologist in Long Island.
    Last edited by yakshaver; 6th February 2006 at 11:14 AM.

Hi Chris

Went to Nepal in April for 1 month.

Took a digital video camera, but used the tape as it used less battery power, took spare batteries. Also took spare batteries for the digital camera, didnt recharge any and took plenty of photos, but also took the SLR for slides, wasnt totally convinced about digital at that time, but i am now. yes the secret is to keep the batteries warm.

We had a mixture of weather in April from nice and warm in the lower valleys with rain in the afternoons, higher up, sun in the mornings, snow in the afternoons most days. Take layers! The two things i used most of all was my very light weight wind proof pertex top, and thin gloves. I found the dry air the worst thing, take lots of moisture cream etc and sweets you can suck.

Have a good time.

Julia.

Default lithium batteries

sorry meant to say used lithium batteries, that particular camera packed up a couple of weeks ago, the new one has the small A4 batteries, dont know how they perform out there YET. Will be finding out at find out sometime this year though!

Julia