Thread: trekking in february

Default trekking in february

how about annapurna circuit in february? is it possible to cross the pass? if there is a lot of snow, can we organise guide/porter before the pass? where to get up-to-date information about situation on the pass(i know it is hard to say, it can change from hour to hour)?
    which trek do you recommende suitable for this time?
    i know that it is not usual to trek with own tent in nepal but anyway, if you have some suggestion for this kind of treking, we enjoy it a lot. we don't have enough money to arrange nepalese agency for a camping trek.

Default Annapurna Circuit

Hi,

If you have time to make sure you have good weather conditions at the pass go for it. Ic crossed Thorung La in Frb 2004 with not a single problem. But be carefull with snow and wind. Make sure no to go alone. it is also sensible to take at least ski poles. Sorry for short note but I have a broken right hand... Good luck!!

Rakshi

Default Trekking in Nepal

Greetings from Nepal!

My Name is B.B. Bhandari and I am the proprietor of NEPAL ADVENTURE POINT. I have been in this line of business for the past 14 years. Nepal Adventure Point located is in hubbub of Thamel, Kathmandu. The company registered with the Government and different travel associations Namely Trekking Agent Association of Nepal (TAAN), Nepal Mountaineering Association (NMA), & Himalayan Rescue Association (HRA).

Nepal has a diverse variety of interests to enthrall and captivate tourists. The snow capped Himalayas, the lush green Terai and the rich cultural heritage, customs are simply awesome breathtaking, the pristine high mountains simply invite trekkers to explore, climb & enjoy. For the adventurous ones, we will offer variety of adventure trip around the Himalayas, specially trekking, mountaineering, sightseeing, river rafting, wildlife activities, Tibet, Bhutan & India tour, buggy jumping. The centuries old temples, Stupas, wood stone carving will utterly feast your eyes. The myriad festivals are full of color, legends & history.

For the food lovers Nepal offers a great variety of culinary delights be it Nepali, Indian, Chinese, continental, Italian, Korean, Japanese, Tibetan, Bhutanese wherever you go the Nepali people will always welcome you with a smile as we are very hospitable.

Our agency handles tours in Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan and India. We offer very reasonable attractive package tour. The customer’s comfort and satisfaction is our motto.

We really hope your pleasant holiday with us to be a memorable one. We assure you to have a unique glimpse of a real untouched paradise.

For further information please contact at:

B.B. BHANDARI

Nepal Adventure Point (P.) Ltd.
    G.P.O.Box: 19988 (Satghumti) Thamel, Kathmandu, Nepal.
    Tel: 00977 - 1 - 4 - 701738, Fax: 00977 - 1- 4 - 700106
    E-mail: nap@wlink.com.np, atreks@wlink.com.np
    Website: www.nepaladventurepoint.com.np, www.nepaladventurepoint.de

Default AC in feb

I did AC end of Feb. 2004 as well. Winter 03/04 had very few snow so there was not much snow on Thorung la. Anyway the remains of winter snow should not be a problem since there is a lot of crossing going on and trekking parties break the way. Except that the trail can become icy...
    If there is a fresh snowfall (like in Oct.2005) it might be immpossible to cross the pass for a few days. But locals know it is essentail to have Thorung la open so the line of trekkers coming to their lodges is not interrupted therefore the trail is broken as soon as possible. It is possible to get info about the pass at ACAP office in Manang. In Manang you can hire porters for crossing the pass.
    Camping on AC does not make much sense since there are lodges all the way. For instance between Manang and Thorung Pedi (before the pass) there are lodges in Tenghi, Ghunsang, Yak Karka, Ledar, Th.Phedi base camp and Th.Phedi high camp. Which means a lodge in less than 1 hour distance. If you acclimatise properly (at least going on Pisang - Manang high route and min. 1 acclimatization day in Manang) from Th.Phedi high camp you can reach the pass in 3-4 hours (with one teahouse on the way and a teashop on the top of the pass - probably not open that early in season).
    Also it is very very cold above Manang and you would need very good camping equipment. In lodges you can use piles of blankets to warm up during night. My advice is: forget about camping, go for lodges (with or without porters).