Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharing photos on the web

Thumbs up Sharing photos on the web

When you go on holiday trekking in the beautiful Nepal Himal you do take a camera and many photos, right? We want to see them. This thread is for us to share photos and links to our web galleries.

Below are links to more photos from Trekinfo regulars, please post to this thread and/or send me a message to add a link to your online album....

Oli's photos : Annapurna, Khumbu, Kanchenjunga & others
    (also with added map goodness: Kanchenjunga)

Hendrik's photos : http://br.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hendrik_vd/my_photos
    (see this thread... )

And Escher's : Helambu Circuit, Kathmandu, Patan, Bhaktapur 2000, EBC 2000, Annapurna Circuit 2002, Chitwan 2002, Gokyo 2003, Jomsom 2003, Ama Dablam Expedition 2004, Annapurna Circuit 2004, Khumbu 2006, Kathmandu 2006.... (more to follow )

jbagne's : http://www.pbase.com/jbagne/root

Spaceman347's : Khumbu Dec'05

Buddhamountain's : Annapurna Kathmandu/Nepal [buddhamountain@flickr]

Tom's : Annapurna spring '06
    (he doesn't post here but we trekked together)

Happycamper's : Khumbu

Perfil's : Kathmandu Annapurna Everest Langtang & Helambu

Yakshaver's: attached to this thread

Henk de Jong's: Annapurna circuit
    (he doesn't post here but peridocially makes my smile to see these posted in The Other Place)

Zipper's: Pictures from Nepal

Pmatt's: Khumbu & Kathmandu

rosner's: Mera Peak & Annapurna

Julia's: Khumbu

Thesilvertops': Annapurna, Salpa Arun trek, Khumbu, Mustang & Panoramas

Kegarne's: Khumbu

Jordan Bower's: "Off the clock in Mustang"

Flickr's "Trek Nepal" group/pool

--

+ an honourable mention to this thread
    + got photos and need some free web space? Try flickr
    Last edited by Oli; 23rd May 2007 at 06:00 AM. Reason: added some more

Default photos

Youve been busy!!

They are good photos, ive looked at them all! Its nice that you can do that and we can all appreciate them. Thanks.

Julia

Default Photos from other regulars

And/or - if anyone else has online photo galleries they wish to share then I invite you to post them to this thread. To start the ball rolling...

Hendrik's photos : http://br.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hendrik_vd/my_photos
    (see this thread... )

And Escher's : http://www.flickr.com/photos/escher1/
    (evidently ahead of me in finding Flickr )

Any more.....?

Quote Originally Posted by julia
    Youve been busy!!

They are good photos, ive looked at them all! Its nice that you can do that and we can all appreciate them. Thanks.

Julia
    actually i couldnt really say which one i like best, but if i was forced to choose it would be the yaks at pangpema, it just looks magical with the rays of the sun coming down, the mountains behind and the yaks on the exspanse of grass in front. But i also like......

Default Sugestion

Great ideia, Oli. I'll take a look at the albuns when I have some time. Just got back from work and would like to do some superfluous stuff first, like taking a shower, eat, read a little and sleep.

I also would like to give a sugestion to make the topic more pratical, that is to leave the first post as a list of the albuns (user - album tema - link). Of course that would be a little extra-work for you, since you will have to keep this topic under surveilance AND transfer your original first post to another place.

About hosting albuns, I don't know this Flickr. I chose the Yahoo!Fotos just because it has no limite for uploading photos (but have for photo size and number of photos per album and the interface is crap).

[]'s

Hendrik

Default Favourites

Hendrick: flickr is a Yahoo service, probably one of their better ones, powered by some rather good technology (I'll spare you the geeky enthusiastic rant). Considering that you've already uploaded lots of great pics to your Yahoo gallery it would be tedious to repeat the process on flickr, especially as you'd soon hit the limits of the free account (however the $25/year 'pro' account is, IMHO, a fair price for a great service). But it might be worth having a look for future use.

Julia: thanks (again) for your compliments on my pics. You aren't the first to express a liking for the "Yaks at Pangpema" picture, but at that place it's not easy to get the time & light right for photography - in the morning the sun is at an awkward angle and in the afternoon the clouds often roll in and obscure the view. I also have a hard time picking my favourites, or a shortlist. I've had these two enlarged and framed to hang on my wall, but from my Kanchenjunga trek I think I'd have to pick this one....

(oops! I just noticed I had failed to add a whole reel of photos from the Annapurna Sanctuary to the album. Half of them form a 360' panorana series, I'm working on stitching those together but it's tricky... Edit: first draft)
    Last edited by Oli; 23rd May 2007 at 05:36 AM.

Smile

Hi Oli

I can see why you chose those, the one from Kanchenjunga and chulu are great, made me go all goose pimpley!

Julia.

Default Post Processing

Great photos, Oli, I really enjoyed looking through them. I would like to visit the Kangchenjunga area sometime, perhaps to do some climbing. And your pictures are the best I've seen for that area. They make me really want to go there now!

How much post-processing do you do? That last Kangch one is excellent but I think there is a fair bit you could do to improve the contrast and balance, and reduce how much the sky is blown out. I can have a go at processing it if you like with Photoshop and Neatimage. It is hard to know what detail is in there without having a crack at a bigger file but I think some processing with the Shadow/Highlight tool could darken the sky and bring out the foreground. Neatimage can then be used to remove the noise that Shadow/Highlight inevitably brings out and also to sharpen the image.

Are these scans of prints/negatives/slides or are you using a digital camera? If so what film or number of megapixels do you have/use?

I am really looking forward to using my digi SLR in Nepal for the first time. I have recently been shooting in RAW and using the Pixmantec RAW processing tool and the results are so much better than shooting jpegs. Unfortunately it means I am going to have to take 10-15 gig of memory with me! Still cheaper than 30 rolls of Velvia.

Incidentally I see you are off to Nepal March/April. I am too, where are you going?

Escher

Default pictures NEPAL 2005

Default Nothing fancy

All pics taken on an Olympus mju 35mm point & click camera, it has a bit of zoom -wide being more useful than long, on bog standard 200ASA film. Nothing fancy.

I had the Annapurna set developed in Pokhara, an bit too keen to see the prints, then when home I had a camera shop scan the negatives to digital CD. But the quality suffered, much better to bring undeveloped film home and have them developed, printed & digitised in one go.

I've touched up a few of the the shots that had blemishes, mostly from the Annapurna set, using the Gimp's clone tool, but I haven't started to tinker with colour and contrast - yet, but I will

I have a couple of digicams - Nikon Coolpix3100 (fairly average camera) & a Sony Cybershot U20 (handily dinky). I was thinking about taking the latter with me on my next trek with the mju film camera. But my made has just being showing me a rather nice Sony W5 - I'm seriously tempted to get one and just take that. Hhhmmmm....

I'm getting to think that I have more than just a bunch of holiday snaps, quite pleased to see that other folk appreciate them and I'm going to have to put a bit more effort into my photography. My brother is also a budding amateur photographer - he was well chuffed last year when the FRCC used one of his photos in their new Lake District Selected Rock Climbs guide ('A' Route on Gimmer, if you have that book). I'm no Vittorio Sella - but if I can bring home a few nice photos then its a lasting bonus to the memories of some wonderful trekking holidays.

A vague itinerary for my spring trekking is on the calendar. I'd be interested to hear your plans, Escher; and I notice kegarne will also be there roughly the same time - I hope we can maybe all meet up.