Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where will you be Christmas Day?

Default Where will you be Christmas Day?

Hello Yakshaver

Just a note to say, well where will you expect to be Christmas day, out on a trek? or ktm?

I will be in the Lake District, so i will be plodding up a mountain, which is great, but i breathe a deep sigh and wish it was a mountain in Nepal and when i read you are meeting up in the rumdoodle bar, it makes it even worse. Its like torture.

I know i said before but have a good time.

Best wishes from Julia.

Default probably in Pokhara or close to it.

Hi Julia,
    Being labelled as "obsessed with trekking in Nepal" (not my description initially, but in the end you got to see yourself as others see you...) I know how it feels for other people to go, and me to have to wait. I feel sorry for you!
    For Christmas my group of six burly men will be most probably in Pokhara. Well, we'll see what burliness is left in us after the trek... New Year will be in Chitwan.

Default christmas in pokhara!

Hi Yakshaver

That sounds great, and you feeling sorry for me makes me feel so much happier!

Actually i have been described as being obsessed about nepal, and as its true im quite happy to take it.

By the way i read the kits lists, it did make me laugh.

Take care on those mountains.

J.

Default Nadolig Llawen

Unfortunately this will be the first Christmas that I won't be in the Lake District - normally I go to visit my family in Kendal but this year I have been volunteered for "webserver babysitting duties", so I'll be in Cardiff.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, wherever they may be.

Default Happy Christmas to you too!

Oh thats a shame Oli, will you miss going to the Lakes for Christmas?

Webserver baby sitting duties? What does that entail then, real babies or small computers!

Well whatever you do have a good time. Will you be allowed to eat, drink and be merry if you are in charge of the baby computers!!

You will have to make up for it for New Year. Whats that in Welsh?

Julia.

Default where will we be Christmas?

Happily, I can say that my wife and I will not only be in Nepal but specifically we expect to be in Gokyo/Lobuje (or possibly Namche, if cold has "forced" us to retreat to warmth ).

Or, we could change our minds entirely and stay trekking in the middle (warm) hills. Whatever, we'll be back in our "2nd favourite place": Nepal (home here in British Columbia being our favourite).

Default Nos da. Subah-ratri. Goodnight

I don't get to go home to the Lakes as often as I'd like (or should) cos I save all my holidays up for long treks in Nepal. In the last 4 years I've spent more time in Nepal (about 16 weeks) than I have in England.

And although I've lived in Wales for about 15 years I think I know more Nepali than Welsh (not much, TBH). I tend to be a little bit better with computer languages than human ones, the rules are more logical. But FWIW "nadolig llawen" means "merry christmas" (of course).

I work with a load of internet servers that misbehave and sulk like little brats. Usually they can be 'administered' remotely (this time last year Namche Bazar had a better internet connection than my parents house), but someone needs to be 'on call' in case of mishaps that require physical intervention (ie "percussive maintenace"). This year it's my turn, but I'll be at home munching mince pies, sipping a glass of port, with one eye on the telly and the other on a webserver. Ho hum & bah humbug.

Default Bord da Oli

Hello

Sut ma or Shw mae?

Wasnt sure which one to use. Are you from Wales, or have you just learnt the language because you live there?

You say you speak a little Nepalese, is that just pigeon nepal or have you gone out of your way to learn it? Ive been looking up certain books etc to try and find a good one to learn a bit of the language, but it would be easier if you were living there then you would be able to catch on much quicker, what do you think?

Julia

Talking I'll be somewhere in the Lakes too

I might do a long round, maybe New Dungeon Ghyll, Jakes Rake, the Pikes, Scafell, Bowfell, Crinkle Crags and back. Or Helvellyn, Fairfield, St Sunday crag, or something from Wasdale Head. Need to get the maps out and hope for a crisp clear day!

It would be wonderful if there was some snow about on Christmas day and go out and do a long walk and some scrambling in Winter conditions. Much better than seeing the family, eating too much, getting drunk and falling asleep during the Queen's Christmas message (yawn)!

Fighting the temptation to sell it all and move to Nepal...I will be on vancouver Island this Christmas day...new years day will be a snowshoe up to elfin lakes or Garibaldi lake. In the mountains but not in Nepal.
    Why didn't anyone warn me before my first trip that I would become obsessed with Nepal....