Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Trekking Hints & Tips

Default No chocolate tea pot here...

...all VERY useful stuff.

Through reading this thread I have been able to compose my own, very comprehensive, kit list (without taking lots of items I don't need), for AC trek in April 06.
    Myself and my partner are on a fairly tight budget so it's great to know what we'll need to buy without breaking the bank or wasting money on items not used.
    On Eschers recommendation I've just managed to purchase a Montane litespeed windshirt for 26 on the internet and also ordered two jagbags from NZ cheaper than uk prices and really lightweight.

So thanks for the advice and I'm sure many peps will find this a very useful topic.

Happy trekking and will let you know when I'm in Nepal to see if anyone's about to meet for a pie!!!

Chunk )

Default lenses and stuff

Big1Fits,
    Last 3 treks I have used a tamrom 28-200, really distorting at times, but very convenient. Used it with the minolta 7000.
    But I have taket two lenses simply in the hope that this amazing shot requiring some tele work would come up. Like a good shot at Johnny Howard's eyebrows or something sexy like that.

I am really thinking of just not taking the big lens...

Escher, I believe this is a good call: make separate lists, a) one for a typical 14 day lodge AND porter assisted trek, and b) another one for a typical independent trekker on a lodge trek, and finally one for an independent tenting trek, if there is such a thing in the Himal...
    I am assuming that taking a guide and porters would require similar equipment wether you sleep in a lodge or in a tent.

Default respsonse to items on the list

Today was the first time i had read this thread. It made my day reading it.

You men are just so funny!!

sorry im not take the mick, honest.

Default so when are you going?

When are you going to Nepal Julia?

Default I am going....

Hi Yakshaver

I am going in September 06, but if i can go before that i will, i am seriously thinking of selling up and just travelling, as there is not much to keep me here anymore! And as i have family in Australia and NZ, im thinking i will include those places as well!

J.

Default Yak Shaving

Now i know for sure that someone will have already said this to you, why did you choose the name Yakshaver?

But i suppose its obvious, that your job is to shave the poor old Yaks, and the job that you say you do is just a cover up. Am i right?

So do they just get their beards shaved or the full works, and how long would it take to shave a whole Yak?

The mind boggles, and i am obviously in a very odd mood, so im going now, put my feet up and dream of Nepal!!!

See you later.

J.

Default yakshaver

Ah, yakshaving... It's a long story Julia, but it has to do with my first trip to Nepal in 1996, seeing real yaks for the first time between Namche and Portse Tenga, arriving back in Thamel and wanting to get a t-shirt done, which did not have the usual "I've seen Mt Everest" or "Yin&Yang" cr&p on it, having a bottle of San Miguel (I don't drink much, being silly enough without any chemical enhancements) and my friend Cameron reminding me of an episode of Ren & Stimpy where everyone was chasing yaks to shave them, because there was a "National Yakshaving Day"! The result of all that was my now infamous t-shirt (well, at least in some circles in Aus) with "SHAVE MY YAK" on it. Don't ask what that means as I believe it can be a metaphore for something reasonably naughty, which may not allowed to be openly elaborated on this family friendly web site.
    Last edited by yakshaver; 8th December 2005 at 02:36 AM.

Default no title, too tired!

Ok I wont ask you on this site what the metaphore is for shave my yak, I will ask another time and place, maybe in Nepal, where it should be more appropriate!

Do you think its changed much over there since 1996? It would be good to go back 20 years just for a glimpse, what do you think?

well i really am going now, its getting difficult to focus, and no i havent had any chemical assistance! Obviously, unlike some i could mention....

Take care.

J.

Default nepal now

How does trekking to Nepal now compare to "the good old days"?
    This is a moot point, and the opinions vary according to a) if you've been to Nepal a while ago or this is your first time; b) if you've been to Nepal a while ago and you have not returned recently; c) your personality.
    For a) First timers find Nepal absolutely amazing
    b) the people who've been there years ago, and who have not been there recently can ofter harp about "the good old days" and moan about the changes the hear happend in the meantime, but not having experienced Nepal recently they pining and complaining about what Nepal is today seems really stupid.
    c) I find Nepal fascinating. Did 10 years ago, and still do today. Being an outdoors person who's enjoying camping in most outdoors environments in various parts of the world, I find Nepal's trekking lodge system excellent. In the last few years many lodges have gotten better, you see comfortable sun rooms in Khumbu in some lodges for example. While I deplore the overdevelopment of silly looking structures who look very much out of place, I am totally for better cleaner more comfy lodges - especially if develped "with the environment", not against it. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.
    Although I guess Nepal needs more tourists right now, rather than lodges.

Default nepal now

I dont think i really need to reply to your answer about nepal 20 years ago, i do agree with everything you said, it was quite a thoughtful reply.

But actually it was just curiosity that made me ask it. Has it changed that much over 20 years, i dont know, i only went for the first time last year. In some places i had the impression it was probably the same as it was 20 years ago. But i think people shouldnt expect these people to stay in the dark ages just for tourism, why shouldnt they have electricity and running water and the comforts of life that most people want.

Julia