Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Trekking Hints & Tips

Default Re: Trekking Hints & Tips

From my own experience (I know, I represent just one data point... but I did 12 treks...) I tend to agree with Petrus. I, and everyone I trek with, take Diamox starting at just before 3000 m altitute, say in Chame (if you go Annapurna Circuit), or Lukla (if you do Khumbu) - just as examples.
    Never had any major cases of AMS, except my first trek (to Gokyo incindentally) where I got sick in Namche, and did not take Diamox.
    As for side effects, these can present a problem, but only for some, and not of the same magnitude. Most people experience none, of very mild, side effects. I definitely, and always, get the tingling in the finger-tips for about half an hour, and the considerable amounts of pee-ing (but the later is meant to be... you need to drink a lot).
    yakshaver

Hints for happy trekking

On a recent trek we heard complaints from a string of lodge-owners about an earlier party who had upset them. And after 17 trips to Nepal over 42 years we have seen just about everything in the way of mistakes and impolite behaviour from other trekkers. And a lot of great behaviour too!

So I put together a couple of pages of hints for happy trekking - hope they might be useful for some and any comment is welcome.

• Donít run out of money
    • Donít ever get blisters, they will ruin your trip
    • Donít get sick
    • Minimise your pack weight and you will enjoy the walk
    • Deal with fleas
    • Follow lodge etiquette
    • Follow toilet etiquette
    • Donít give sweets/pens/balloons/books/money to kids on the track

Details here: http://fedup.com.au/images/stories/n...dtrekhints.pdf

cheers

Taghairm

Hi,

I created this excel file to keep track of things I need to pack. I didn't translate my notes section in it, but notes contains e.g. information how to use certain drug or other information. Feel free to use it. You can use titles filtering to create different lists for different purpose, e.g. list to pharmacy.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...king_2014.xlsx

Default A Jiri to Kalar Pattar Gear List

My recommended Gear list for the Jiri to Kalar Pattar (or EBC) trek during the winter - I usually go in February. I have completed the trek 6 times and am about to go on my 7th so it's up to date.

Firstly, unless you are fit and strong. Try hard to not carry over 15-20 k. I have carried up to 24 K but it was heavy!

Passport + one photocopy (kept separately)
    Flight tickets
    8 x Passport photos
    $ or £ to to pay for internal flights
    Cash. £'s and $ are fine and can be changed in Kathmandu. Credit cards are not widely accepted especially in the hills. There are cash points in Lukla and Namche but they should not be relied upon.

Clothing

Woolly or fleece hat and sun hat.
    Sunglasses (good ones) with a securing cord + hard case + cleaning cloth (it's also good to have a cheap spare pair (** I lost my good pair on one of my treks**)
    T-shirts x 4 (preferably not cotton as it holds sweat against the skin). Running style shirts are ideal.
    Thin fleece for day wear
    Very heavy fleece (Mountain quality not fashion) or Down Jacket. You can rent these in Kathmandu (In 2014 they were $1 per day and quite bulky).
    Gloves. Good ones but nothing too extreme.
    A waterproof shell Ė this can be light and cheap Ė needs to big enough to go over bulky jacket. Just one of those really light, cheap, throw away - pull over your head types. (I have had heavy rain on two my treks)
    Two pairs of trousers - trekking trousers with unzip legs are great Ė quick drying and light to pack. You need to test these for chafing before you travel
    Underwear x 4. Need to be tested for chafing.
    Thick socks x 2
    thin liner socks (buy the real thing from an outdoor shop) x 7
    Fleece slippers for messing around lodges. And going to the toilet at night. You can buy fleece camp booties with leather soles
    Heavy boots with new laces. These should be completely broken in. Test these to death especially on long downhills. If your toes bump the end you will lose all your toenails.

Gear

Backpack 60-100 litre.
    Small folding day pack for flight, Kathmandu and day walks. Essentially a bag with shoulder straps that folds to nothing.
    Sleeping bag 4 season. You can rent these in Kathmandu (In 2014 they were $1 per day and quite bulky)
    Sheet liner for the above - cotton or silk. Silk will add warmth to your sleeping bag. Washable so your sleeping bag doesn't get too stinky.
    Head torch - buy the type with the 3 diodes that takes triple A batteries. Used mostly to find your way to the toilet (so can be a cheap version. It only has to last the a few weeks). Spare batteries x 6
    Foil blanket for emergencies.
    Walking Pole or two. Should be bought in country of origin not Nepal.
    A waterproof cover for the backpack - The type that fits around the pack with elastic - last time we went we had a day of rain (first time in 65 years for the time of year) and everything got soaked.

Medical
    1. High factor sunscreen and lip block
    2. Antibiotics one type for stomach problems and one for general infections. You could share these among a group.
    3. Blister patches and some cloth plasters.
    4. Anti Delhi Belly pills (Imodium)
    5. Something to dry up a streaming nose
    6. Something to unblock sinuses
    7. Knee support bandage.
    8. Ibuprofen based pain killer for aching joints + Panadol for general problems like headaches.
    Ibuprofen gel.
    9. Pin and antiseptic wipes
    10.Vaseline for chafing.
    11. Hand cleaner lotion.
    12. Something to help with a cough - very common at altitude.
    13. If you are a light sleeper or don't need much sleep take something to help keep you under. Your 'hosts' may want you to go to bed early (8pm) and they won't get up much earlier than 6. A long night!

I always take an emergency Foil blanket and a bivouac bag.

Extras
    1. Baby wipes. Good when youíre feeling grimy and thereís no chance to wash
    2. One drinking bottle. (1 litre) I never used mine but I canít help but think we should have one. A 750 ml thermos flask if you prefer tea to water as I do. Wrap some gaffer (Duct) tape around the Thermos. It's useful stuff to repair things with.
    3. Camera - it's difficult to recharge batteries so check your battery life. At least two memory cards. A camera powered by conventional batteries may be better as you can take spares. Several small camera memory cards. (1-2GB) as itís safer to split your photos across different cards in case of card failure.
    4. Padlock - small and light but good quality
    5. Compass, map and guide book Ė the books and maps are available in Kathmandu.
    6. Big roll of toilet paper.
    7. Pillow case Ė for stuffing with fleece and using as pillow.
    8. Good reading book - we have quite a lot of 'down time' so something to pass the hours.
    9.USB card reader so you can transfer your pictures to a computer for uploading..this is possible in Namche and Lukla.
    10. Plastic bags for waterproofing documents, separating clothing types and washing etc.
    11. Diary and spare pens.

11. Small travel towel for drying off after showers. There will be times when you wonít be showering for days so it isnít worth bringing a big towel. Small washing kit with cup, soap and shampoo, toothbrush and toothpaste

12. Ear plugs if you can wear them. There are always dogs barking at night in Nepal.

Thoughts.

Find a system to safeguard your photos either by transfer to a portable device such as an IPad or by emailing them from Namche or Lukla. I have experienced both memory card and camera failure due to the cold. Have spare memory cards

Battery life for devices such as Kindles and phones can be severely affected by the cold. I found my IPad was fine but a friends Kindle only lasted a day or two instead of a month! There are limited facilities for recharging devices so bring spare batteries.

I would suggest a spending amount of at least £15 per day maybe £20. Prices have risen each time I have visited. Depends if you want to live really cheaply or buy the odd treat.

Have at least 2 days spare at the beginning of your trip to organise your TIMS certificate and Sargamartha National park permit (We do this in Kathmandu) Allow at least four days from Lukla at the end to allow for delays in flying to Kathmandu.. Last time I was there we waited 3 days for an available flight and this is very common due to weather problems. Usually fog in Kathmandu or cloud over Lukla.

The first part of the trek between Jiri and Bubsa is very tough walking with some huge ups and downs - triple check your boots for a good fit - especially steeply down hill.

Hope this is helpful?

Andy

I've never taken Diamox and the only two people I've trekked with who did - suffered side affects so quit it.

Saying that we always trek in from Jiri so have an extra week to acclimatize.

Andy

Agree. No need for diamox if you trek from Jiri.
    yakshaver