Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Trekking Hints & Tips

Default Re: Trekking Hints & Tips

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    1) I would cut a bit on underwear and socks and take a light shell (Paclite or similar), as it is possible to get rain (not good for a down jacket), or the down jacket is too warm to wear during climbing and you need something windproof. I noticed you do have an insulated windproof jacket, but is it waterproof. I like the simplicity of shell without insulation, adding layers as needed. 3 pairs of underwear and 1 pair long johns, a few socks less makes up for the weight. Can you fit everything in a 35 liter pack, including a sleeping bag good for at least -15C?

2) You have insulated windproof trousers in your list. Why another pair? Underwear, long johns, trekking pants and those all together should take you trough anything.

3) Those boots do not look all that crampon friendly, or the crampons will not be friendly with your boots, but I think you could use them with "soft" crampons = flexible body crampons meant for flexible hiking boots. Not the best possible combination, but usable for half a day. They will also make your feet colder as those boots are a bit softer than leather ones. Uncomfortable carrying heavy boots for 3 weeks or suffering a bit for 8 hours, pick your poison!
    Hi Petrus! Thanks!

With regards to the pants, apologies as the list i pasted (hastily, sorry) included what I considered my final packing list and not what i have

I currently only have a pair of soft-shell trousers (not wind-proof or waterproof) and I still don't have a light hard-shell to put over the down jacket. Any recommendations for these two? would they be needed? (going March 15- April 5 or so).

With regards to the shoes, the problem is have is that i live in Dubai, where this kind of boots are almost impossible to find! I would need to order them online, and as you know, the fit is extremely importantů if i buy them in KTM, i will have a problem with blisters.

I was hoping on hanging the down sleeping bag from the lower part of my bag, instead of putting it inside, in that case, i do think i can get away with a 35L bag (need to practice a bit).

There is always a bit of a risk of purchasing the boots last minute in KTM. But these days you can find good boots, the modern composite ones, with plenty of padding, which cause far less problems, and do not require 2 weeks of breaking in. Had a number of people I trekked with over the years, who bought their boots in KTM, some even bought boots on trek, like in Namche or Manang. And they were ok. Expecially if you take time to walk in them around the shop, before you buy, and then have a couple of days in KTM to walk in them before the trek.
    yakshaver

I bought the Keen Targhee II from the shop next to the north face on tridevi marg. Wore them to the everest trek straight out of the box and they were just fine. Just walk with them for about 30 min in the shop if they are comfortable then it should be ok! good luck!

Boots are not as big a problem they used to be. Modern boots (even full leather ones) are softer and better fitting right out of the box. Trainer type boots (like tall trainers) generally need no adjustment period at all, they fit like sneakers.

If a person comes to Nepal with only trail runners or similar and needs boots for trekking, it is also not a really huge problem. 90% of trekking can be done with those trail runners, only if there is a lot of snow or difficult passes are attempted boots are needed. Or the person is climbing Imja Tse or Mera, then for the summit day. If you are going to wear the boots for only one day, there is no reason to worry too much about how they fit.

Thanks for the advice!

Called a store in South Africa (where I travel to regularly) and reserved a pair of La Sportiva Baruntse. The sales guy told me not to worry about breaking them in, as 1) you won't, they're stiff, and 2) the insulation might get damaged in warm weather as it solidifies once cold. Will get them in 2 weeks!

The trip is planned for the 16th of March, so that out of the way, I will get a hardshell that will fit over my down jacket in KTM, but I still would like to take a single pair of pants for the entire trek.

Can you recommend something I can wear (i don't mind getting hot in the first week of trekking up to EBC/Gokyo) throughout the trek and Imja Tse summit?

Quote Originally Posted by StephanGeyer View Post

Can you recommend something I can wear (i don't mind getting hot in the first week of trekking up to EBC/Gokyo) throughout the trek and Imja Tse summit?
    No! Except a bandana. For the head.

You are taking many pieces of clothing anyway, why not light pair of capris or shorts which you can actually wear most of the time and not be sweating for a week going up and another 3 days coming down. Weight 1-200g. You can always wear them under the proper climbing or whateverpants if it is really cold.

One of they funniest sights I have seen in Nepal were a couple of mid-twenties trekkers hiking up from Lukla, all sweaty, wearing a proper layering system with base layer, fleece and shell jacket and pants, all brand new, while we were hopping down wearing shorts and t-shirt. It was +20C after all...

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    No! Except a bandana. For the head.

You are taking many pieces of clothing anyway, why not light pair of capris or shorts which you can actually wear most of the time and not be sweating for a week going up and another 3 days coming down. Weight 1-200g. You can always wear them under the proper climbing or whateverpants if it is really cold.

One of they funniest sights I have seen in Nepal were a couple of mid-twenties trekkers hiking up from Lukla, all sweaty, wearing a proper layering system with base layer, fleece and shell jacket and pants, all brand new, while we were hopping down wearing shorts and t-shirt. It was +20C after all...
    I've got my trusty bandana from my last trek, learnt early on too that it should not be a warm one!

I live in Dubai (where winter means 20║C!) and I rarely wear shorts here, so I am ok without taking any shorts, I am just concerned that the soft shell pants I have will not serve me well the days of Imja Tse summit.

My question is more around trying to find a pair of pants that will serve me in the Imja Tse summit push as well as the rest of the trek.

You could always wear both pairs of long johns under your soft-shell pants for the climbing day. Legs don't need to be as protected from the cold if your torso is well insulated and/or if you are moving.

I regularly ski in Northern Japan at temps down to -20C and I only ever wear a single pair of long johns and soft-shell pants. That includes sitting on chair lifts in the wind etc.

I guess it depends on how much you feel the cold.

This changes all the time - Europe at the moment

Yes, I agree absolutely. Some people just can handle the cold much better than others. I can handle it but don't like it!

Hi All,

First things first a great post Escher,
    looking for some advice on packing for Mt Toubkel trek,
    its a 3 dayer and we're basing our packing on "Escher list" we off end of May.

it talks about taking water proof trousers in our trip notes ??
    any comments on either would be appreciated

thanks all