Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Trekking Hints & Tips

Default Re: Trekking Hints & Tips

Marcy: thanks for the tips, especially the note about the litre capacity being less for the smaller size.

Actually I have already tried on some packs in the store, including Osprey, which is lighter than many of the others. My trip is some time away, so my preference would be to find a store which stocks the ultra-light type rucksack so that I can try it on. I'm London-based, anyone know of any stores that stock these? The main trekking stories (EllisB, Snow&R, CotsO etc) don't seem to stock these.

One other thing, I tried to fill boiling water in my Sigg bottle the other day, and it seemed to almost melt the plastic coating on the outside! I quickly emptied the bottle. (I felt very foolish!) When you say hot, I presume you don't mean boiling water!

beer Re: Trekking Hints & Tips

so to keep warm at night time has anyone taken a normal hotwater bottle?

Esher - Water bottle Q I sleep with a nalgene hot wate bottle on trek, but it never occured to me to put it in a sock. Does the sock make it stay warm longer (mine generally is tepid by 3am) or does it just keep the metal sigg from feeling too hot to touch. (Am wondering whether I should try putting my nalgene in something at night... had never occurred to me.[/

Quote Originally Posted by marcy
    Desert Eyes -- I am also a short woman (5'2). Gregory and Osprey also both make woman specific pacs and pacs in multiple torso lengths. A good store will measure your torso to figure out which size. For example, both my gregory and my osprey come in small, medium and large (for the same liter size pack) depending on your torso length. Then, within that, a store clerk can adjust all the settings and straps for the rights size and even change out hip belts and such for you to get a good fit. Size note. Liter size/cubic inches on packs are measured based on the assumption of a standard size pack. So, if e.g. you buy a Gregory 50 or an Osprey 55 in the small size frame, the actual volume of the pack (despite the embroidery on the outside saying otherwise) is about 3-5 litres less.

Esher - Water bottle Q I sleep with a nalgene hot wate bottle on trek, but it never occured to me to put it in a sock. Does the sock make it stay warm longer (mine generally is tepid by 3am) or does it just keep the metal sigg from feeling too hot to touch. (Am wondering whether I should try putting my nalgene in something at night... had never occurred to me.

I can't see the point in taking a normal hot water bottle, just extra weight to carry.

But by taking something like a Sigg bottle, you can use it to warm up your sleeping bag, then use the water to drink the next day. It stayed warm all night, and because I put my walking socks over the top of it and they were cosy and warm too, nice to put on in the morning!

http://www.sigg-aluminium.co.uk/classic-sigg-11-c.asp

Cool Re: Trekking Hints & Tips

Top list matey,
    I am thinking(or hoping to get for xmas !!!) a digital SLR and all the kit to go with it such as in your list. My only concern is the security of such a valuable item. Have you ever had any trouble with folk trying to mug you or nick the kit etc.

Quote Originally Posted by minialan
    Top list matey,
    I am thinking(or hoping to get for xmas !!!) a digital SLR and all the kit to go with it such as in your list. My only concern is the security of such a valuable item. Have you ever had any trouble with folk trying to mug you or nick the kit etc.
    Never had anything stolen on trek or in hotels during my nine visits to Nepal. And I always had (reltively) expensive camera stuff, Nikkon D50 usually.

Mind you, I did not leave it for half an hour in the lounge of the lodge, unatended. But I often left my day pack, with camera, binoculars, etc in it, for periods of time in the dining room of some lodge, and had no issues. Still, I would not advise that. No one ever broke into my room, or stole stuff of my lodge or hotel room.
    yakshaver

This is the best and most comprehensive list. I refer to this. And, there are no clashing fucking beer mugs

Quote Originally Posted by Suginami
    there are no clashing fucking beer mugs
    Do you want me to add them?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

We will be doing Island Peak in April 2009, around the 12-15th. We are having a hard time deciding what boots we need for this climb at this time of year. Most of us have big feet so will be taking our own boots to ensure correct fit, but which boots?????

I climb in LaSportiva Nepa Extremes for winter mountaineering and ice climbing but use La Sportiva Trango S for my spring/summer/fall climbing. Will the summer boots be OK? Spikes work well on the Trango's.

I have the same boots. Trango will not be substantial enough for the climb. That valley is very cold. I took the Nepals and did all my other trekking in approach shoes.
    A great approach to Chukkung is over Kongma la from lobouche.
    have a great trip.

It's a hard question to answer. I climbed Island Peak to the snowline in trainers and plastics to the summit. I didn't need them, the weather was good and it was quite warm I could have quite easily gone up in walking boots or anything that would take crampons. There isn't much frontpointing required apart from a couple of sections so you don't need anything fully stiffened. The question is what will the weather be like when you are there? How much snow will there be? And are you worried about your toes? Obviously Nepals will be fine and I personally would be happy with Trango's. In good conditions you can get up and down quick. I didn't find the valley particularly cold and we climbed it early March but we were in a stable weather window. As you well know climbing is all about compromises - weight vs comfort vs safety. Can't make the decision for you but I would take Trango S's and use them for the whole hill. Or take the extremes and go to the snowline in trainers/approach shoes.

The temperatures we encountered were much like summer alpine climbing and it was nowhere near as cold winter ice climbing temperatures.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher