Thread: Do not Trek with out guide /Porter Register Trekking Trekking Company

Arrow Do not Trek with out guide /Porter Register Trekking Trekking Company

Do not trek alone ! http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39723363 lost trekkers Found in Dhading .

Exclamation Re: Do not Trek with out guide /Porter Register Trekking Trekking Company

Rishi,

I agree, "do not trek alone"... but cannot agree with your suggestion one needs to have a guide/porter for the main treks. This is simply not true.

The Taiwanese trekkers in the story you link to were not trekking alone. There were two of them. Importantly, they were trekking in an area not frequented by many trekkers (ie not a main trek) and got lost when it snowed. Tragically, one died. Probably, in their case, a guide would have been important.

But guides/porters are not "required" for main trails (AC, ABC, Poon Hill, Langtang, EBC, Gokyo).

Netherlands (55%), Nepal (40%) and France(5%) of the year

Default Re: Do not Trek with out guide /Porter Register Trekking Trekking Company

I've been close involved with 4 missing cases in Nepal and all because they did not take service of a guide or porter. Question is: what is your life worth to you....or better to those you leave behind?? Think twice!

Default Re: Do not Trek with out guide /Porter Register Trekking Trekking Company

This old chestnut keeps coming up. Long may the mountains be a place where should you wish, and you are sufficiently prepared, be able to seek solitude and adventure should you wish to, without being told what you can and cannot do, that is what many of us seek in a world wrapped up in health and safety regulations. There are many risky activities in life and I hope the day where they cannot be pursued without being nannyed doesn't ever come. Not all trekkers or climbers are the same, not everyone is incapable of looking after themselves in most cases. There are different levels of experience, neutral well informed advice for the uninitiated is often well received. Orders (and guilt trips) to the more experienced much less so. There is no one size fits all advice. Perhaps mountaineering should be banned as it is inherently more risky than trekking alone? But of course there is lots of money in the Everest circus. Whenever one of these sad events happens there will always be guides and agencies that will use it to further their agenda for more business, which is their right but it leaves me compelled to put the other side of the story.

Whilst educating about the risks of solo trekking are important people should be able to make their own decisions without fear mongering. One size for all regulations are rarely of very much use.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Question Re: Do not Trek with out guide /Porter Register Trekking Trekking Company

If I turn up Ktm in a couple of weeks, will I be able to get the tims and AC permit and do the circuit alone. Only want to get a bit of altitude training in before a run so not keen on being saddled with a porter or guide. Have experience above 5000m in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by railbum View Post
    If I turn up Ktm in a couple of weeks, will I be able to get the tims and AC permit and do the circuit alone. Only want to get a bit of altitude training in before a run so not keen on being saddled with a porter or guide. Have experience above 5000m in the past.
    Yes absolutely. You can get TIMs and the ACAP permit from the office in Pokhara in one go. You don't have to travel with a guide or porter despite what guides and agencies might say when you are in the main trekking areas (Annapurna, Everest, Langtang). Plenty of people say don't trek alone but I'm an advocate of freedom of choice, there are novices that probably ought not to but plenty of people are competent enough to travel solo.

The only issue I have encountered is travel insurance companies not covering you unless you trek with a guide, that's for UK insurance companies, other countries may be different. It's a total pain in the arse but I trekked without one anyway.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Cheers Escher thanks for clarifying that.

Just finished EBC trek a week ago. I'm older (over 60) so had a porter. It's easy to do it all you self. TIMS and Park pass in the same place in Kathmandu. (actually got free pics.) Important to book earliest flight from KTM to LKA weather closes Lukla quickly. Have fun be safe.
    J

Quote Originally Posted by Escher View Post
    Yes absolutely. You can get TIMs and the ACAP permit from the office in Pokhara in one go. You don't have to travel with a guide or porter despite what guides and agencies might say when you are in the main trekking areas (Annapurna, Everest, Langtang). Plenty of people say don't trek alone but I'm an advocate of freedom of choice, there are novices that probably ought not to but plenty of people are competent enough to travel solo.

The only issue I have encountered is travel insurance companies not covering you unless you trek with a guide, that's for UK insurance companies, other countries may be different. It's a total pain in the arse but I trekked without one anyway.