Thread: Manaslu Circuit, Tsum Valley, Naar Phu Valley plus option for Annapurna Circuit, ABC

Default Manaslu Circuit, Tsum Valley, Naar Phu Valley plus option for Annapurna Circuit, ABC

Looking for companion(s) to share a guide on the Manaslu Circuit, Tsum Valley, Naar Phu Valley as part of a longer trek to include the Annapurna Circuit possibly ABC.
    Should be pretty amazing with plenty of off-the-beaten-track sections.

I arrive in Kathmandu on the 3rd March 2016 and leave on the 7th May.

The first bit (Manaslu Circuit, Tsum Valley, Naar Phu Valley) will take just over a month if you want to just want to do that bit. I am allowing 50 days plus a few extra rest days for the whole thing (inc AC an ABC).
    I estimate it should cost about $1200 for the first part or about $1600 for the longer trek (ie for half a guide, permits and $20/day). We don't need a guide for the AC and ABC.

I have done some trekking in Nepal before on a couple of trips.

Looking to use lodges/tea houses/homestay rather than camping and all the extra expense of that.

Apart from the walking, scenery and people, I am particularly interested in visiting monaseries/gompas and photography so might want to do some extra side trips to such places.

Feel free to contact me bignepaltrip@outlook.com

Default Re: Manaslu Circuit, Tsum Valley, Naar Phu Valley plus option for Annapurna Circuit,

This trek should be doable as a barebones teahouse/homestay trek now, but there have been some earthquake damage and the facilities might be poor in places. In Naar-Pho there are no lodges or even people living in some villages (abandoned Khampa settlements), but it is possible to sleep in animal shelters.

We attempted the Manaslu Circuit in 2009, had to go around to Bhulbule by bus as the pass was shut by snow for almost 2 months. Naar-Pho was spectacular. We also crossed to Kali Kandaki via Tilicho North/Tourist Pass, but a tent is needed for that. We did Arughat - Marpha in camping style, though, 32 days total including backtracking and bussing around to AC.

Manaslu-Tsum-NaaPho-AC-ABC really is a grand trek!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1099586...dKhumbuRegions

Thumbs up Re: Manaslu Circuit, Tsum Valley, Naar Phu Valley plus option for Annapurna Circuit,

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    This trek should be doable as a barebones teahouse/homestay trek now, but there have been some earthquake damage and the facilities might be poor in places. In Naar-Pho there are no lodges or even people living in some villages (abandoned Khampa settlements), but it is possible to sleep in animal shelters.
    Actually, there ARE lodges in Nar-Phu!

In August 2014:

Meta Kharka: several lodges (most somewhat new)
    Phu: 2-3 lodges; quite basic
    "Nar Phedi": the Gompa may have some rooms available (they did for us!)
    Nar: several quite decent lodges
    Ngawal (on the AC circuit): many large'ish lodges

Nevertheless, camping was required for 3 nights in Nar Phu.

Wrote a post about Nar-Phu in 2014
    http://www.trekinfo.com/forums/showthread.php?29048-August-2014-Nar-Phu-and-Annapurna-Circuit-trekking-in-monsoon&highlight=

Of course, according to the rules, one must have a guide etc to trek Nar Phu
    Last edited by Landfall38; 17th January 2016 at 01:40 AM. Reason: added in camping required

Default Re: Manaslu Circuit, Tsum Valley, Naar Phu Valley plus option for Annapurna Circuit,

What I meant (and wrote) was that there are no lodges in EVERY village you might end up for the night. There were lodges in Meta, Phugaon and Nar when we visited the valley in 2009. We were on a camping trek, and slept in 3 places which had no lodges: one deserted Khampa village (name escapes me now), Naar Phedi (Gompa was under construction) and at Kang La Phedi. This is a problem for unacclimatized trekkers (Phugaon is at over 4000m), but not for those who have come across Larkya La.

Post Re: Manaslu Circuit, Tsum Valley, Naar Phu Valley plus option for Annapurna Circuit,

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    What I meant (and wrote) was that there are no lodges in EVERY village you might end up for the night. There were lodges in Meta, Phugaon and Nar when we visited the valley in 2009. We were on a camping trek, and slept in 3 places which had no lodges: one deserted Khampa village (name escapes me now), Naar Phedi (Gompa was under construction) and at Kang La Phedi. This is a problem for unacclimatized trekkers (Phugaon is at over 4000m), but not for those who have come across Larkya La.

Sorry. Yes, you did write that -- I misinterpreted it.

As of 2014 it was still an issue concerning 1st-night lodging for unacclimatized trekkers. Meta Kharka was just too far for us, so we had to camp in the somewhat nasty ACAP Camp Site at "Dharamsala" (building half burnt out; camp spot overgrown with prickly plants; outhouse locked thus the surrounding area a "minefield" -- watch your step). Making it harder is the fact there is no room at Dharamsala to spread out and away from this.

The deserted Khampa village likely Khyang -- still deserted. Quite a pretty place. The ACAP campsite much better here, though outhouse was, again, locked. We camped (2nd night) before this at Chyakhu: a very beautiful spot with a newly built teahouse (no accommodation is 2014).

In 2014, there SEEMED (NOT clear if it was to be a lodge) to be a lodge being built 1-2 hours before Dharamsala. IF true, one could walk to there for first night. This would need to be confirmed -- don't assume it is there. Still, it would be a large altitude gain from there to Meta the next day.
    Last edited by Landfall38; 6th February 2016 at 02:01 AM.

Update October 2015 on Nar Phu

There is still no lodge at Dharamsala and before.

There are a number of lodges at Meta

Kyang still has no lodge the lunch place before Chayaku has a small lodge

The monastery below Nar has a beautiful lodge easily the best of the trek.

Kangla Phedi you still need to camp

Hope this helps
    Sujoy

Is there anyway around the need a guide rule ? Will be for May 2016 .Thanks .

Hei trucker,
    are you planning to do the Naar Phu trekk in May? Im heading to Nepal in mid may and I was thinking of doing the Anapurma Circuit + Naar Phu. Would you be interested in trekking it together?
    From what I read in https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntr...ecember?page=2 you must get a guide, but i may be possible to negotiate to have the guide only for the Naar Phu part of the trekk.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tcarlyle View Post
    Hei trucker,
    are you planning to do the Naar Phu trekk in May? Im heading to Nepal in mid may and I was thinking of doing the Anapurma Circuit + Naar Phu. Would you be interested in trekking it together?
    From what I read in https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntr...ecember?page=2 you must get a guide, but i may be possible to negotiate to have the guide only for the Naar Phu part of the trekk.

Cheers
    Yes Pal, i will be arriving in katmandhu in mid May and definitely will be interested in doing the Naar Phu with you . Reply here of if your in Thamel ...let me know . Cheers .

Great!
    I've sent you a private message so we can talk more =D