Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Requesting current information for the Khumbu (fuel shortages, political climate,etc)

Hybrid View

Default Requesting current information for the Khumbu (fuel shortages, political climate,etc)

Hi Everyone - I'll be leaving for my second trip to Nepal on Dec 16 - Jan 5 and plan on trekking in the Khumbu on the EBC.

I've been keeping track of the news and from what people are saying and wanted to get some first hand accounts of those that might be in the area now or just came back.

From what I've heard the fuel shortages are somewhat contained.

1. Are most international flights landing in KTM but may refuel somewhere close such as Bangladesh?
    2. Are the flights from KTM to Lukla running with regular frequency?
    3. Are there any fuel surcharges given the shortages of fuel?
    4. How much does it currently cost to take a taxi from the airport to Thamel for an overnight in KTM?
    5. How is the political climate both in KTM and in the Khumbu?
    6. Given the low numbers of trekkers reported, will guest houses be open above Tengboche on the EBC?
    7. I've typically paid $25USD per day for a porter/guide, is it advisable considering the circumstances to hire one via an agency to secure guest house space?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to your responses. Sorry for the numbered list but I just wanted to make sure all my questions were clear and coherent for answering.

Default Re: Requesting current information for the Khumbu (fuel shortages, political climate,

I'm also interested in any news - I'm heading there in Feb or March (Hopefully Feb)

Thanks for asking the questions Pylos

Andy

Default Re: Requesting current information for the Khumbu (fuel shortages, political climate,

Actually I can help with one thing. I don't think it's worth worrying about reserving lodge space. I was there in April a couple of years ago and we had no problems getting a room.. A think April is probably busier than Dec. We were carrying our own packs.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Taupo19 View Post
    Actually I can help with one thing. I don't think it's worth worrying about reserving lodge space. I was there in April a couple of years ago and we had no problems getting a room.. A think April is probably busier than Dec. We were carrying our own packs.

Hope this helps,

Andy
    Thanks for the reply Andy but I think April and December/January are different beasts in terms of accommodation. Some lodges high up close in winter due to the cold and lack of tourists.

Anyone have any current information to my original questions? Would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by pylos View Post
    Hi Everyone - I'll be leaving for my second trip to Nepal on Dec 16 - Jan 5 and plan on trekking in the Khumbu on the EBC.

I've been keeping track of the news and from what people are saying and wanted to get some first hand accounts of those that might be in the area now or just came back.

1. Are most international flights landing in KTM but may refuel somewhere close such as Bangladesh?
    Yes most flights are running I saw Thai, Fly Dubai, Qatar, etc all at the airport
    The first and second flights are running as there are less passengers the third flight is not running regularly
    Yes fares have gone up - check the tara air site for the current Lukla fares
    4. How much does it currently cost to take a taxi from the airport to Thamel for an overnight in KTM?
    Nepali Rs 1500 or so can be more as well
    I found it normal in both places
    6. Given the low numbers of trekkers reported, will guest houses be open above Tengboche on the EBC?
    I was told that usually a couple of lodges will be open in all the locations
    7. I've typically paid $25USD per day for a porter/guide, is it advisable considering the circumstances to hire one via an agency to secure guest house space?
    I dont think you need to book lodges in advance

Thanks for your help and I look forward to your responses. Sorry for the numbered list but I just wanted to make sure all my questions were clear and coherent for answering.

Regards
    Sujoy

Quote Originally Posted by pylos View Post

1. As said earlier there are regular international flights landing in KTM though there has been 1-2 hours delay in flights and you can expect that too in the december due to foggy weather in the winter.
    2. STOL flights are operating normally in the early shifts.
    3. Certain amount has been increased in the flight fare due to unavailability of the aircraft fuel. I think the price has gone up by 20-25 %
    4. The taxi fare may depend on your bargaining skills. But expect the taxi fare won't be less than NRS. 1000. Paying in the range of 1000-1500 is sufficient. Though they may ask you for more. I tooka taxi at around 7 from Thamel. The starting price was NRS 1500 but i bargained it down to NRS 900. So i suggest to bargain more for the taxi fare
    5. The political climate both in Kathmandu and in the Khumbu region is perfect. All the political unrest is down in the lowlands terai.

I'm normally up there in February and things are open. I've noticed that some of the bigger lodges are opening in March April in Namche now. I spoke to one of the owners and he said he's not interested in catering for solo trekkers only the big groups. Understandable I guess.

Excellent information both Sujoy and STN123 - very much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Taupo19 View Post
    I spoke to one of the owners and he said he's not interested in catering for solo
    trekkers only the big groups. Understandable I guess.
    I'd quite like to know which lodge that is, so I wont bother him by going there.

It may be understandable but I do think lodge owners could also well remember that their business started out
    and was developed with solo trekkers. The first several treks I did, in the 80's and early 90's all the groups
    stayed in tents and never spent a rupee in the lodges.

Lars
    Odisha

It is very tempting, since there are lower number of tourists, to come to Nepal and wonder through Khumbu! It would be my 6th trip in the area, I believe. Mmmmm, very very tempting...
    yakshaver