Thread: Report from Kathmandu

Default Report from Kathmandu

I am in Kathmandu since practically a week. This is my thirteenth trip to Nepal and for the first time I have no plans to go trekking. I am going on a bicycle trip from K through India, ending in Gokarna/Goa. I flew out from Europe last Wednesday and have only been on a two-day exercise trip to Kakani. Cycled up on Sunday, stayed the night and rolled back Monday morning.

A few days ago I had the impression that more tourists had come in, but now it seems there are not many at all. Many restaurants and hotels look rather empty. Some places that used to cater mainly to Western tourists now have hung up signs with Chinese characters. I have heard some of that ugly Australian accent, and some speak with a cute French one.

There is still a major fuel shortage in Nepal and it seems that some domestic flights are cancelled, and bus trips too. I really don't think there is all that much trekking going on. For those that manage to get one of the more popular treks, like Everest or AC, I think they can have an unusually good experience.

Fuel is available on the black market, at five times the normal price. Taxis have jacked up their fares. I had to pay 15 dollars from the airport to Thamel, vs the normal 5.

I am off tomorrow, riding to Bakhtapur and then on to Dhulikel.

Default Re: Report from Kathmandu

Hi Lars Thank You for your report particularly interesting as I will be there next week ! I sent this to my friend in KMD but he is saying it is partly right ,but there are many tourists and no domestic flights have been cancelled !
    So I dont know which of you is right Do you know if any Pokhara flights and flights to Jomoson have been cancelled because he is saying there havent and thats the direction we are going hopefully , If you are right and we can get up there it sounds like quiet out of season trekking for us
    Any more info welcome now
    Thanks Redders

Thanks Lars for this info - would love to be back there...I guess the changes you are noticing are understandable, it's early days yet!

On another note: "that ugly Australian accent"!! Whacha mean, mate?? Stone the flamin' crows! Might I refer you to the learned tome "Let Stalk Strine" - now sadly out of print (?) but a celebration of our drawl, developed as a way to communicate whilst keeping the flies out of your mouth...

Cheers,

Lee, (not so sunny) Sydney.

Redders your friend probably knows better than me about the flights. I haven't been meaning to take any, I just repeat what I have heard on that.
    The number of tourists are definitely down though. I have been so many times in Kathmandu at the same season and there are far fewer tourists than normally at this time of year.

I have seen several restaurants that are normally full of Western tourists that are now closed.

Lars
    Dhulikhel

I flew in to Kathmandu about a month ago with Malaysian. My bag and many others was offloaded in KUL due to fuel crisis and took 3 extra days to arrive. On the way out about a week ago I had to change to an earlier flight to make my Sydney connection as flights are stopping in Bangladesh to refuel.

Hi Folks

Heading to Nepal in a weeks time and was hoping some one in KTM could give an update of the current situation regarding transport from TIA to Thamel, KTM to Pokhara, restaurants open or closed, food restrictions etc.

Many thanks,

Mark

I am here from Kathmandu, the situation is not so serious as many people think. hotels and restaurants are operating their business, transportation is also near to normal.

Thanks guys for the info - I will be heading there in Feb for my 7th trip - I hope that the situation is a little calmer - I normally get a taxi to Jiri but it sounds like the price will be too high now...

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Taupo19 View Post
    Thanks guys for the info - I will be heading there in Feb for my 7th trip - I hope that the situation is a little calmer - I normally get a taxi to Jiri but it sounds like the price will be too high now...

Cheers!
    Taxi to Jiri don't even think about it though the fuel shortage situation gets over. The cost for taxi up there will be way way to high.