Thread: Mardi Himal trek - eastern side

Default Mardi Himal trek - eastern side

I'm planning to do the Mardi Himal trek around late Sept. this year. Rob into-thin-air has posted an excellent guide on Virtual Tourist (and elsewhere) covering the main trail on the western side up to Mardi Himal Base Camp West, doable as a teahouse trek all the way:
    http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/c4879/

But if possible I'd also like to get a bit more to the east toward MHBC South, teahouse-style w/o camping. I'd originally thought of going up that way and returning on the western side to finish up at Jhinu Danda hot spring, as Rob did (great memories from the ABC trek!). But now I'm leaning toward starting on the main western trail since it's more gradual -- seems the eastern route is steeper, more appropriate for a quick descent. Also the west is definitely doable teahouse-style, making for a good leisurely start, and it may be possible to get pointers from the staff there, maybe even a local guide. (I'll be going as a FIT if it's still allowed.) So far all the info I've found about the eastern side is for organized camping treks (part is included in the Machapuchare Model Trek).

So if anyone has been on that side recently or can provide links, any general info or specific info about teahouse accommodation would be much appreciated, particularly on these routes:
    1) High Camp (West) > MHBC South > Korchon > Khumai Danda > Mirsa/Kharpani
    2) High Camp (West) > MHBC South > Korchon > Premo-Shyo > Pilicho > Karuwa

The 2nd route is longer but another viewpoint is marked above Premo-Shyo. For both, only campsites are shown on my map (Nepal Map Publisher 'ABC-Mardi Himal'). ... Maybe possible to carry a bit of food & bivvy one night but I won't be packing a tent.

Finally, is anyone familiar with the little hot spring at Kharpani? (always nice to finish the trek with a soak!) ... the organized-trek notes seem to indicate the area has recovered from the devastating 2012 flood.

P.S. Here's a sketch map that shows the main western & eastern routes (heavy gray lines indicate ridgelines):
    https://farm1.staticflickr.com/608/20247750394_f357bd64aa_o.jpg

Default Re: Mardi Himal trek - eastern side

Update from Pokhara 16 Sept.:
    - In general, I'm still unsure if I'll do the MHBC trek at all, since I'll only be here until early October, not the ideal time. Permits (TIMS & ACAP) are still being issued to FIT's here, no problem on that score, but I haven't gotten mine yet: it's still tail-end of monsoon, weather unsettled, long-range forecast unpromising, so I'll decide later.
    - Specifically, I consulted with a guide friend here who was able to provide some info on the eastern-side routes. As noted, I'd already decided to go up the main western MHBC route & possibly return via one of the eastern routes. He said the most westerly of these (not mentioned above) from High Camp down the Mardi Khola via Sidhing & Lwang would be no problem teahouse-style, he's done that & said it makes a nice circuit avoiding a return the same way from High Camp.
    - He has never done either #1 or #2 via Korchon (even camping) and was very doubtful of any lodge accommodation on that side, not to mention being unsure about the trails marked on the map.
    - There's still a chance of getting more info from staff at High Camp, but as of now it looks like the choice for me is between returning via Sidhing fairly quickly, or via Jhinu Danda as Rob did. The JD hot spring still appeals (great memories from ABC!) even tho' I can't count on a guide down the quick way & might have to go the long way 'round via Landruk.
    - If anyone has anything to add, please chime in! Otherwise I'm just hoping for the best weather-wise, as I don't fancy fending off leeches down below & walking in clouds above. I'll file a post-trek report if I eventually do it, I hope so!

Default Re: Mardi Himal trek - eastern side

UPDATE: I will not be doing the Mardi Himal trek this year. I was in Pokhara for a few weeks for other reasons and hoped I could squeeze it into this short trip, but the weather didn't cooperate: a late-monsoon weather system brought rain all across Nepal and as always the dependably clear trekking season doesn't start until later in October. I'm still very interested but will have to postpone it until next visit, either next March or next October.