Thread: Gokyo Lakes and Base Camp Trek

Default Gokyo Lakes and Base Camp Trek

Hello,

My friend and I are going on the Everest Base Camp and Gokyo Lakes Trek with a Nepali Company recommended to me by a work colleague. We’d like some friendly companions so get in touch if you fancy it. We’re two 27 year old males from Bristol UK. Easy going. easy to talk to and all that jazz and really excited for this. We plan to arrive in Kathmandu on October 18th and follow the plan below that the company has emailed to us and leave around November 7th. The plan is not finalised yet – we're trying to extend the time spent trekking. Contact me on coduffy@hotmail.co.uk if you’re interested, then we can chat on the phone or something

So here’s the (provisional) plan:

Day 01 : Arrives Kathmandu, and transfer to Hotel.

Day 02 : An early start for the dramatic flight through the mountains to Lukla. After lunch we have a short trek to our first night's halt at Phakding (2610m).

Day 03 : Following the Dudh Kosi Valley upstream, we cross and re-cross the river before making a final steep climb to the Sherpa capital of Namche Bazaar (3440m).

Day 04 : Acclimatization around Namche. Hiking options include a short, steep climb to the Everest View Hotel, or a longer day visiting the Sherpa town of Thame.

Day 05 : Trek to the Tyangboche (3800m) we are the mountain top overlooking Mt Everest & the Gokyo Valley which is the main drainage for the glaciers of Cho Oyu (8201m).:

Day 06 : The trail climbs steadily up valley on forested hillside and through open pasture. There are several refreshment halts en route to our Dingboche (4465m). .

Day 07 : Today we climb past the first and second of couple through damp pasture lakes to reach Lobuche alt 4800m.Fit party can walk from Chukkung to Lobuche crossing Crossing Kongma la Pass 5540 m, in Same day.

Day 08 : Trek to Gorakshep, Through Khumbu Glacier Dramatic Views of Mt.Nuptse & Pumori, Climb Kalapattar, visit to Everest base overnight Gorakshep.

Day 09 : Early morning visit Kalapatthar then Trek to Dzong La alt 4800 m, at the foot of Cho LA PASS,

Day 10 : An Early Start for Cho La Pass 5320 m, A big day crossing the Cho La pass (5320m) and descending to the yak grazing area of Tangnang (4830m).

Day 11 : Trek to Gokyo two hrs, check in Hotel/CampClimb Gok yo Ri 5320 m, Visit Glaciers & Lakes.

Day 12 : Trek Down to Dolle along the beautiful Valley, overlooking Views of Amadablam, Tyngboche Monastery,

Day 13 : Trek to Namche Bazar along Doodh Koshi River, you may have opportunities to meet hundred of Yaks herd, carrying Goods to Nmache From Tibet.

Day 14 : Trek to Lukla,

Day 15 : Fly to Kathmandu, transfer to Hotel re fresh guided sightseeing tour of the city's main attractions, which include colorful Buddhist shrines and Hindu temples. Hotel

Day 16 : Free before Transfer to Airport

Revised tour cost US$ 1200.00 per person using budget clean hotel. Minimum cost

This changes all the time - Europe at the moment

Default Re: Gokyo Lakes and Base Camp Trek

That sounds like an amazing trip!
    When would you like to finally book everything?

We're planning on booking really soon Pastello - this week hopefully. We really want to find a couple more people first. Would you be interested?

IMO this itinerary is too rushed. I doubt you will accomplish all as planned, even if no ones gets sick. You leave no rest or wx days or allow day hiking other than at your only acclimatization day at Namche and your very ambitious day at Gokyo (I mean WHY rush thru this trek like that).....more importantly you have only the one acclimatization day. This IMO is not sufficient as you move above Namche.

Also you have only one cushion day for arrival back in KTM for your international flight....everything has to go perfect along your entire trek (unlikely) and you must encounter zero delays at Lukla on your return....this is by no means assured based on recent yr's experience and wx. It is not a good idea to plan on such a tight itinerary for flights out of Lukla back to KTM. Everything MAY go fine, I wish you luck, but I would never plan an itinerary such as yours for the reasons as stated above. This itinerary seems more for the convenience of the trek agency (trying to cram all into your only two weeks?) than a well thought out and realistic plan. IMO.
    Last edited by roger_ray; 29th July 2015 at 09:45 AM.

Netherlands (55%), Nepal (40%) and France(5%) of the year

Question Re: Gokyo Lakes and Base Camp Trek

I agree with Roger, this plan suits only on paper but not in real. What a rush! Can't jump from pass to pass. Take time and enjoy instead waiting for a helicopter at Lobuche to pick you up. Better to take at least two days in Dingboche before crossing Kong Ma la. Skipp the BC there is nothing to see. Go from Lobuche to KP and back, don't stay overnight in Gorakshep. Where did you get this plan. I've been visiting Everest many, many times, but never, ever seen a plan like this. If you like to have a serious plan just let me know.
    I am serious; if you book this it won't be fun.
    Take care!
    Harry

Thumbs down Re: Gokyo Lakes and Base Camp Trek

Crazy stupid itinerary.

Good example of what not to do....

Interesting, no reply from original poster!