Thread: Projects in Nepal - Trekking in Nepal and some other updates

Default Projects in Nepal - Trekking in Nepal and some other updates

1. I am planning my next Nepal trek. I wish I could do 2015, maybe that would still be possible... But it will more likely be 2016. This will be trek number 14. I have no idea yet where or with whom. But I am sure some inspiration will befall me in due time - and some "victims", as my wife aptly calls them, will put their hand up to join me.

2. In the meantime some updates... Some of the people I recommended to visit Nepal, and helped them with organising their trek, in the past ( Phil L., Gayle M. and a couple more, who shall remain anonymous) have managed to gather more than 30000 (thirty thousand) dollars in total for helping with specific projects in a number of villages gravely affected by the earthquake in April. I have managed to get just over 5300 AUD from my friends in Australia and Romania, most of whom trekked with me in Nepal during my various treks there in the past. Not a lot, but I am still proud of it as it meant we contributed to purchasing about 28 rainproof shelters for families who had their dwellings flattened by the quake.
    If you contacts in Nepal, people you trust, help is still needed there, and greatly.
    Get involved in a project, contribute something, if you can.
    There are a number of "senior" people who have been to Nepal many times, and who contribute to these forums, such as Escher, or Andrees or webmaster, Landfal38 or me, who might be able to direct you to some of these projects. I underline MIGHT, as I have not spoken personally to them. I have not spoken to me personally either (not for a while), but I am pretty sure I can help if someone is interested.
    yakshaver

Exclamation Re: Projects in Nepal - Trekking in Nepal and... NEPAL EDUCATION FUND

We highly recommend the Canada-Nepali "Nepal Education Fund". Started by a Canadian, Susan Marshall, this small Nepal-registered charity has a small group of very dedicated Nepalis on the ground. Although oriented towards providing access to education for Nepali children, the recent earthquake has had them focusing on food distribution, shelter, and school rebuilding.

We have met NEF staff (and families of some children supported by NEF) in Kathmandu, and can only say great things about them.

Read the NEF blog to see latest activities.

ONGOING BLOG: http://nepaleducationfund.blogspot.ca/

PS Good chance that we too will return to Nepal in 2016 (2017 at latest)
    Last edited by Landfall38; 21st July 2015 at 03:21 AM. Reason: added PS re returning to Nepal

Netherlands (55%), Nepal (40%) and France(5%) of the year

Default Re: Projects in Nepal - Trekking in Nepal and some other updates

Mr. Yakshaver,
    Missed you last year! Beer was chilled and coffee was ready! Anyway, I know you enjoyed your tour. About helping Nepal. Yes we did a lot from the NL and some Germans too. In total we offered direct help through the NGO Elviras Children Home to many victims of the earth quakes and still we have funds to help them.
    But more important than donations is to get people back on trek in Nepal. So skip 2016 while 2015 is still possible! I will be back home again from October first in Pokhara and trying to get some companions going along with me on the Khopra trek or Mardi Himal. But also possible to go for few shorter treks from Pokhara.
    Anyway, if visiting Pokhara don't forget to knock on my door.

Best,
    Harry
    The Netherlands (at the moment)

Default Re: Projects in Nepal - Trekking in Nepal and some other updates

Good to hear about the great initiatives Landfall and Harry!

Harry, I was in Pokhara and did not contact. I apologise!!! It is not the first time this happens to me, and I have to do better... I was with a group of 5 other trekkers, all novices, and in looking after them, I forgot to look after my own interests - there were three people, you included, I missed to contact. It is not the first time, as mentioned. I WILL make a conscious effort to correct this, and will make contact when I plan to be in Pokhara next time.
    yakshaver

Wink Re: Projects in Nepal - Trekking in Nepal and some other updates

Quote Originally Posted by yakshaver View Post
    Good to hear about the great initiatives Landfall and Harry!

I was in Pokhara and did not contact. I apologise!!! It is not the first time this happens to me, and I have to do better... - there were three people, you included, I missed to contact. It is not the first time, as mentioned. I WILL make a conscious effort to correct this, and will make contact when I plan to be in Pokhara next time.
    Ha! remember Rum Doodle....