Thread: Earthquake damage on major trekking trails -- information

Default Earthquake damage on major trekking trails -- information

The April earthquake in Nepal has resulted in thousands of deaths, destroyed buildings and infrastructure, and left many without homes.

Not really the most appropriate time to go trekking.

Beyond the human suffering and infrastructure damage, trails in many areas may not be passable and lodges damaged or destroyed.

As time passes, it would be helpful if up-to-date (and accurate) information regarding the status of trails and lodges in the various trekking areas could be posted here.

Default Re: Earthquake damage on major trekking trails -- information

I've just been watching a report on Langtang village on the BBC. The village has been totally wiped out with only 1 house remaining. Unless you are part of an organised relief/support team I would suggest that you forget about going to Nepal until at least the autumn but it may not be possible to trek even then. In the meantime I hope our many friends and their families are safe and that the government and relief agencies will get their act together and get relief out to everywhere it is needed. When the trails do open then please go to Nepal and put some much needed money into people's pockets.
    * thesilvertops *

Just returned from Nepal. I was in upper Mustang. Along with Langtang, Manaslu and Tsum has sustained severe damage. THe ABC trek seems reasonably better as the area north of Pokhara and Pokhara town itself has escaped the earthquake. Some parts of Everest like Khumjung, Kunde, Thami are affected.

I think Langtang and Manaslu are out for some time.

Hope this helps

Here is the link to the BBC report - click on the video to watch it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32585356
    * thesilvertops *

A vivid account of what it was like in Langtang valley when the earthquake struck.

https://www.justgiving.com/Langtang-Survivors/
    * thesilvertops *

from reading blogs, LP Thorn Tree, etc:

Everest: Lukla and above all open; some damage Junbesi and lower but apparently lodges operating.

Annapurna: no effect

Manaslu: apparently trail successfully re-routed, with sufficient lodges. (Trail has been busy with MANY expeditions to climb Mt. Manaslu.)

Recent blogs indicate that even Langtang is open for trekking, with lodges, albeit much more limited, open. Trail via Bamboo closed; go Syabrubesi to SherpaGaon.

Helambu has some lodges open, but much damage still.

The above is NOT from personal experience, just monitoring internet.

Hi Landfall,

Good info, helpful to someone I am sure but you were replying to a spambot which has now been deleted and banned (they were dozen of other posts from it on a number of existing threads).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Quote Originally Posted by Sujoy View Post
    Just returned from Nepal. I was in upper Mustang. Along with Langtang, Manaslu and Tsum has sustained severe damage. THe ABC trek seems reasonably better as the area north of Pokhara My phenq review by emily jones and Pokhara town itself has escaped the earthquake. Some parts of Everest like Khumjung, Kunde, Thami are affected.

I think Langtang and Manaslu are out for some time.

Hope this helps
    tell me about it man, i was when it happen. Gave me goose bumps just looking at the trees vanished
    Last edited by Zoe19; 13th January 2017 at 11:27 AM.