Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trek info

Default Trek info

Putting aside briefly all the sadness in Nepal, I am surprised there has not been more talk on here about what has happened in Nepal. I have been reading and thinking about the poor people in Nepal constantly.

Even though financial aid has been organised by the big charities and governments and we have given to these, how can you not, but it just makes you feel so helpless in not being able to do more. Once the news has subsided in the media and people think of it as a distant memory, I won't forget. It will always be in my mind. I can't help the whole nation, but I can go there eventually and help. Let us know Yakshaver your plans.

It's a shame trek info is now so quiet, no chats, no talk of past trips, no humour, I am as much to blame, having facebook to keep up with the news, maybe Trekinfo could become a facebook page?? It would be great to keep up with the folks on here more often.

Julia.

Question Re: Trek info

I agree it is disappointing to see so few posts, but what about those who stay away from Facebook (as I do, for many reasons)?

Default Re: Trek info

I understand not everyone likes facebook, it is a very useful tool to keep in touch. Although I wouldn't want to be a teenager using it!!

So maybe we should keep things going on her landfall38, maybe others will join in eventually.

Did you have plans to go to Nepal this year?

We had a great time, we always do, saw a tiger in the jungle, I have fallen in love with the jungle. We walk it, no 4x4 for us, and stay in a great place just outside, so nice and quiet! We came home really wanting to go back again, and we will.

I have checked in here from time to time since the quake,
    but have not thought I had anything useful to post, sitting
    safe and comfortably in Europe.
    In a way I suppose an account of a near miss is what I have
    been looking for here, but of course I am glad if none of the
    regulars at Trekinfo have been present to be struck by the disaster.

Having some training and preparedness for dealing with big
    accidents I also think it is often a good idea to step back and
    leave the stage to those who actually have something to say about it.

Question Re: Trek info

Perhaps Mr Webmaster might support a Trekinfo.com Facebook page? This might encourage more communication to keep this place alive. Especially useful at times like this.
    rich

No one goes so far or so fast as the man who does not know where he is going. H.W.Tilman

I wouldn't "participate" in a Facebook page -- though I might read it.

Facebook might bring more/new people, but I am not convinced.

WEBMASTER: might consider (i) starting an "Earthquake" thread, and perhaps (ii) archiving the "Maoist" thread ... put it into something re "politics in Nepal"?

(who knows what the future may hold... there are a lot of people who seem quite unhappy how the govt is "handling" earthquake relief)

Quote Originally Posted by julia View Post
    Did you have plans to go to Nepal this year?

We had a great time, we always do, saw a tiger in the jungle, I have fallen in love with the jungle. We walk it, no 4x4 for us, and stay in a great place just outside, so nice and quiet! We came home really wanting to go back again, and we will.
    No plans this year. We've done too much traveling the past 2 years (home less than 1/4 of the time). But, we have started talking about a return in 2016 or 2017. Funny, after our Oct/Nov 2012 Langtang trek, we sort-of said "That's it, no more!". But life changes and the Nepal "bug" hit us again and we returned, this time during monsoon in August 2014. Had a great trek (Nar-Phu/AC: one of our best ever) and so.... (But never again in Oct/Nov.)

Quote Originally Posted by Landfall38 View Post
    No plans this year. We've done too much traveling the past 2 years (home less than 1/4 of the time). But, we have started talking about a return in 2016 or 2017. Funny, after our Oct/Nov 2012 Langtang trek, we sort-of said "That's it, no more!". But life changes and the Nepal "bug" hit us again and we returned, this time during monsoon in August 2014. Had a great trek (Nar-Phu/AC: one of our best ever) and so.... (But never again in Oct/Nov.)
    (Sorry if this sounds trite in the midst of the awful situation currently - but I'll pretend for a moment we are just talking about out love of Nepal as per normal). After ten trips I wasn't feeling the love at the beginning of our trip in February. Other trekkers seemed a lot less friendly, everyone was miserable, the road building was extensive up towards Lhandruk and Ghandruk and I honestly thought that it might be my last trip. But our trips to the jungle were utterly sensational and unlike anything I've experienced and totally got under my skin. We celebrated Holi with everyone at the lodge in Megahauli and it was an absolute riot, and something akin to the illegal raves I went to as a youngster in the nineties. Seeing a tiger in the wild, a very large male at that in a totally natural setting for a good few minutes, not on a track nor from a jeep was simply astonishing. Something I shall remember and cherish forever. I was desperate to return as soon as I was home and I hadn't felt like that for a while.

What all that means in the light of the terrible suffering I have no idea. None of us can fathom an iota of sense out of any of it. But I will be going back and soon.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Before I comment along the same lines as above let me say, like all, I am shattered by the devastation in Nepal. I probably got hit with the bug pretty hard, 15 trips in 10 years. I commented to many that 2013, Jiri to Jiri via both valleys on the EBC was it. I will now definitely return later in the year, and I will hopefully walk the same trails again, just more slowly and will stop more often and I won't say that's it because until I can't go I probably will !!

I am still slightly shell shocked/devasted by this event & canīt adequately articulate my empathy with the people affected. Donating money is better than doing nothing but it seems just so impersonal. Luckily I had allready booked (& paid for) my flight for a 3 week trip in Oct/Nov. I was asked by many friends whether I thought it would be a good idea/politically correct to stick to my plan but I want to go & maybe have an opportunity of doing something usefull/helpfull in person even if it is just donating medicine/money etc directly to some needy people. I have been going to Nepal on & off since 1982 & it kind of feels like a second home now. I hope that the traditional Nepaling spirit of make do helps get things back to normal soon.