Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Happening ??

Default What is Happening ??

Hi Folks What is Happening to this website or should I say what is NOT happening on this website ? Last post 21st November in the main trekking season Are you all out trekking ,lucky you ! I m not this year but hopefully next .
    Surely we cant have discussed everything Nepal ! or are we all old bearded trekkers who have suddenly found out we have forgotten how to switch on the interweb thingy ! There must be something we can talk about if only the best bars in KMD
    What we need is TAAN to stir things up again by pushing for new passes rules on guides etc that usually brings us all out of our afternoon dozing
    I worry that this site will go the way of Yetizone through lack of activity
    Or am I missing something important have you all gone off to a New Super Trekking site that I dont know about ?
    Cheers Redders

Default Re: What is Happening ??

Everyone is confused.

Attached Images Attached Images  

We're still here. Perhaps a little more world weary and unable to visit the (ex)-kingdom as often as we would like. Our enthusiasm is undiminished but perhaps our wish to express it on a forum to try and inspire others is a little withdrawn. Hoping to visit there again soon.

Don't you live in Cumbria somewhere? We live in Bolton le Sands, just south of the South Lakes and I find this area just as astounding as the Himalaya, so I feel 95% satiated but coudl sure do with that that extra 5%. Sometimes not posting on here is through pining not a lack of interest.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Well Escher, I must confess I have never heard Bolton-le-sands favourably compared to the lost Shangri-La ex Kingdom of Nepal, home to the worlds highest mountains, the snow leopard and numerous world heritage sites!

Admittedly, Nepal doesn't have the A6.

Paul ( Lancaster and Delhi )

PS I was in KTM 2 weeks ago with my friend from Carnforth. Small world!

Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Walked up the little hill behind my house yesterday morning to see the sunrise tint the snow orange as it hit all the fells in Cumbria, Bowland and over towards the Western Dales. Just gorgeous. Wouldn't swap the Himalaya for that or vice versa, I want to see them both
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

I heard heavy snow fall (6 feet) in Khumbu. 70 trekkers in Gokyo. Namche local probably skiing on the trail in the middle of the village (2 feet snow there).

Hi Escher Driving up Kirkstone early Saturday morning white peaks and orange glow probably looking at the same hills as you at the same time ,beautiful !!! on our way to Striding Edge on Helvellyn about 2/3 ft of snow at times ! I live in Greater Manchester by the way !
    You are right different places different beauties no one can say what is the best
    Redders

Post trek depression. But had a great time again in Nepal - although my favourite restaurant, Chez Caroline in Pokhara, has closed down. I am in Lijiang (Yunnan province, China) right now. Internet sucks. No Facebook. Life is tough. But this part of China is decidedly interesting.
    yakshaver

Thumbs up Re: What is Happening ??

We are on our sailboat in the Sea of Cortez, based out of La Paz, BCS, Mexico.

Decidedly NO snow here... didn't stop the locals from celebrating Christmas (including Santa and fake snow) big time.

Looking forward to going home in January to Whistler, BC for a couple month of skiing.

Netherlands (55%), Nepal (40%) and France(5%) of the year

Thumbs up Re: What is Happening ??

Same question I have Redders! Seems everybody wants to go to Nepal but without a travel buddy. In the earlier days it was easy to get a group along with your plans. Yakshaver had the luck to have some mix max on his latest trail after missing his baggage (did they find it after all??).
    The last week the views on Annapurna were super as usual December. Earlier snowfall made it even hard to not slip and slide from Poon Hill to Deorali. My Tibetan friend Wangdu fell down nearly ten times guiding a Singapore couple with kids down there. Nothing broken but painful wrist and ribs.
    I went back home yesterday and had a unexpected stop from over 11 hours at Frankfurt airport due to some snowfall coming from the west.
    But back to the question of Redders. What to do about the declining messages "looking for trekking companions"? Come on readers we all are humans and love to go in the Himalayas, age doesn't matter to me, do you mind. The oldies still can help you out and run you out at the final ascent to the summit or pass.
    Wishing you all a happy end of 2014 and let's take a beer together in Pokhara or where ever......as long it's a Everest, Nepal Ice or Gurkha.
    Cheers and wishing you a happy New year from a freezing cold lowlands.