Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The beautifull NATT-trails on the Annapurna Circuit

Thumbs up AC: The beautifull NATT-trails on the Annapurna Circuit

The Annapurna Circuit was long one of the best trekking trails of the world. But in 2005 plans were started to build roads on the Manang and jomsom side. and when around 2008 traffic begun Ac had lost a lot of it magic. And many people advised n the internet that one should take directly the jeep in Muktinaht as it was not anymore fund to walk down the road. Knowing that there must been some alternative trails bypassing the road i made a first expoloration trip with my friend and partner Prem Rai in 2010 to find out how much of the road could be avoided. I fact it was quite a lot. But many of them were not generaly known.
    In 2011 i could convince ACAP that we should mark the alternative trails with red/white or blue/white sign so that people could find theme easier and so Prem and I started for the first "painting the himalaya" tour with 11 kg of paint. We where joined by Guides from ACAP. Acap buid more and more new trails and we also explored some nice side treks. It is then that Prem suggest to call the new trails NATT = New Annapurna Trekking Trails and we describetd them in the first edition of my small trekking guide book. We returned in 2012 and for the second edition we call NATT now Natural Annapurna Trekking Trail.
    My aim was always to describe the trail section in my webpage but i had not enough time to do so. But now i'm started an i will publish the links of the different trails sections. Like this people can see what is awaiting them and plan easier , as they will know wha twonderfull naturall trails exists again.
    http://www.nepal-dia.de/int__England...annapurna.html
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by andrees; 27th November 2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added AC to the Headline

Post NATT-trail No.1 from Begnas Tal to Besisahar

Instead of taking the usual „high way“ route and ride to Besisahar by bus one can start from Begnas Tal near Pokhara. Only very few trekkers chose this alternative trail but everyone who does so will love it. It takes about 3 extra days and the facilities are rather basic. This trek would an excellent choice if you have been already once on the AC, have some extra time and want to experience some trek far from the main stream.

http://www.nepal-dia.de/int__England...egnas_tal.html

Default Re: The beautifull NATT-trails on the Annapurna Circuit

Begnas Tal: We hiked this route in 2000 and 2008. In 2000, it was a beautiful walk but in 2008, there was a lot of road building and we drove the equivalent of the first day's hike. After that we saw/walked on road several times. Only on the last day did we leave the road for most of the day. Unfortunately for trekkers, every village wants road access even if it is the most basic dirt track. It would be useful to hear from someone who has been on this route recently. On the other hand, the accommodation was still very basic and very much like the old days. Some nice views of Manaslu if the weather is clear.
    Last edited by thesilvertops; 28th November 2014 at 01:55 PM. Reason: adding more information
    * thesilvertops *

@silvertops. Anyway i think that only very few trekkers start from Begnas tal even when it is a wonderful trail. A jeepable dirt road is now going till Shyauli bazaar. But the buses still end in Karputhar. Also on top of the nalma ridge near there is a dirt road but with nearly no traffic at all. And one or two jeeps a day dont bother me so much ;-). So i think still a recomendatin for people enjoying beside the main trekking route :-)

Post The beautifull NATT-trails. No. 2 from Besisahar to Bhulbule

For everyone who wants to start in Besisahar this little trail is the perfect start for the AC. Normally you will reach Besisahar in the early afternoon so that you have enough time to walk till Bhulbule. Instead of riding with the bus till Bhulbule you walk around 30 min on the road but then you cross the river and continue through paddies. It is a little bit climbing which is already a good exercise after the bus ride and will offer you the first excellent views of Manaslu range.
    http://www.nepal-dia.de/int__England..._besiahar.html

Now AC is a one week tour not trek. I am sure that someone will start that business soon. Jeep to Manang, horse ride Manang to Muktinath and Jeep to Pokhara. I have trekked from Dumre and Beganas ending at Babar or Phewa Tall (Pokhara) 24 days including rest days. Dumre to Besishahar was okay but enjoyed ridge top walking above Nalma although I hated up and up and up from Nalma phedi. Nice routes. I also heard that there is a trail from Rukse waterfall area to Khopra ridge and to Ghorepani which will avoid road but also hot spring at Tatopani. Khopra is another view point.

Hi go Nepal, i also started three times in Dumre and always enjoyed the lower treks. But as soon that oyu can shorten the trek by bus or jeeps many trekkers will do so. i think that in the middle therm many people will take the jeep till Chame and then start the trek in the upper Manang valley. Driving till Manang will be very bad for acclimatization, but i agree , many rather stupidspeople will do excactly this.
    But anyway, the lower part of the MAnag trek is still beautiful and definitively still worth doing it.

Post AC: NATT-trail No. 3 from Bhulbule to Germu

Since 2015 a new road, which has even a street tunnel, was built from Khudi to Ngadi, bypassing Bhulbule. In Ngadi there is now a big construction sit for a Dam of the upper Marsyangi hydropower project. I have seen many people walking all the way on the road after reaching Besisahar but I would rather recommend taking the bus from Besisahar to Ngadi and stay in one of the lodges in the old village center. The dam is nearly finished, so you may find less traffic on the dirt road. In this case you could have a nice walk. I have no Idea how the situation will be but I even could imagine that there will be some nice places at the little dam lake where one could drink a wonderful cold beer after the long end exhausting journey. From Ngadi there is a long way to the lodges of Bahundanda, so I would not recommend continuing the same day!
    Even when the road continues to Bahundand ther is nearly no traffic and you will enjoy much the walk through lushy paddies and the first rely step climb up to Bahundand. I always enjoyed this part and so do many others.
    See more at
    http://www.nepal-dia.de/int__England..._to_germu.html
    Last edited by andrees; 4th September 2016 at 01:25 AM.

Post NATT-trail No. 4 From germupath to Jagat on a natural side trail

For People who want to avoid as maximum as possible the road this alternative side trail may be a good choice. it starts at the end from Germupath and climbs up first to Chipla and then to mathilo chipla. We explored this trail with a local young men and the trail is not always easy to find. Ask in the lodges of Germupath. It climbs some hundreds meters up to descend finaly directly to a suspensio brige just below Jagat.
    I is a full day journey.
    http://www.nepal-dia.de/int__England...ght_route.html

Post NATT-trail No. 5 Synge to Jagat and No. 6 Jagat to Chamje

After crossing the huge suspension bridge in syange most people will just walk on the road up to Jagat. unfortunately the village comite had insisted that the road will go through the village because they feared, that they will otherwise loose business. Now the jeeps rode though but dont stop and very few trekkers stay anymore.
    http://www.nepal-dia.de/int__England..._to_jagat.html.
    JAgat to Chamje. Ther are two villages which rather similar names the first is Chamje in the lower part and the second is already at 2700 m short before you reach the upper Manang valley.
    From Jagat you will have to continue for a while on the dirt road but fortunately you can take after a while the beautiful former and natural trail to Chamje. This NATT trail will lead you far above the road with splendid views and bring you to the upper and quiet part of Chamje. I met a few Kathmandu based Guides who still prefer taking the road because it is 10 min shorter.
    http://www.nepal-dia.de/int__England...at_chamje.html