Thread: Wifi in Everest region

Hybrid View

Default Wifi in Everest region

KATHMANDU, Nov 11 (Bernama) -- Sixty-one years after the first people reached the peak of Mount Everest, wi-fi service has finally reached the mountain.

Wi-fi service was set up by Everest Link at the base camp of Mount Everest this week as a part of its extension of service covering the entire Everest region.

"We aim to provide mountaineers and other people with easy access to internet facilities so they can remain connected with the world anytime," Everest Link director Buddhi Tamang said.

"The mountaineers are happy with having internet access at such a high altitude at a cheaper price," he said.

Mountaineers had previously relied on satellite service for internet connection at a costlier price.

Nepalese Tenzing Norgay Sherpa and New Zealander Edmund Hillary reached the top of Mount Everest on May 29, 1953.

Mt Everest or known as Sagarmatha in Nepal rises 8,848 metres above sea level.

The Kathmandu-headquartered Everest Link (P) Ltd. was founded on Oct 1 this year to establish high speed, affordable internet services in the remote areas of Solukhumbu district, according to everestlink.com.np.

Everest Link works closely with local foundations like Namche Youth Group, Women Group and Department of National Park to provide information and communication facilities to locals, tourists, government offices, schools and hospitals of the Himalayan region.

Default Re: Wifi in Everest region

Excellent! Now tourists (and I am thinking of Escher here) can instagram (un) likely encounters with the luscious yeti woman.
    yakshaver

Netherlands (55%), Nepal (40%) and France(5%) of the year

Last spring I already noticed the wifi possibilities in the Khumbu region, but prices were still quite high. It would be good to provide all popular regions with a network so in case of emergency like what happened during the Hud Hud cyclone, disasters like that could be avoided. At least weather report and alarm sites should be free.
    So if it is really something to be happy about since now you also will find web addiction in the higher atmospheres!

On the contrary, I found the wifi speeds and connections in the Everest region quite good. Namche was excellent and even up in Lobuche and Gorak Shep it did work!

Does anybody remember what the cost of wifi is in Namche and further up?

As the service is probably by the same company, I would expect the cost to be the same everywhere? But if the service is resold by every lodge then maybe prices vary all over the place? How does it work?

Namche Hotel 500npr for 24 hours, 700 npr for 48hours, Luka I think was 200npr for 24 hours but I didn't use it there. Was not operational at Tengbouche.